U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,447 times

Advertisements

Hello
I just found this forum and have to say there is a lot of good information on here. We are in the VERY beginning stages of thinking of moving out of NJ and one of the states we are looking at is NC.

I haven't done any research yet on areas but thought I would get the advice from all of you based on what we are looking for

1. Good school system - by the time we do move (estimating 2 years) our daughter will just be starting high school and our son will be starting middle school
2. Would like to live near a city, not necessarily in one
3. Low crime areas

Can anyone suggest some areas in NC we can start our search in and then based on what we find we will definitely be going to visit it in person to get a feel of the place.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonj View Post
Hello
I just found this forum and have to say there is a lot of good information on here. We are in the VERY beginning stages of thinking of moving out of NJ and one of the states we are looking at is NC.

I haven't done any research yet on areas but thought I would get the advice from all of you based on what we are looking for

1. Good school system - by the time we do move (estimating 2 years) our daughter will just be starting high school and our son will be starting middle school
3. Low crime areas

Can anyone suggest some areas in NC we can start our search in and then based on what we find we will definitely be going to visit it in person to get a feel of the place.

Thank you
Price range? That will allow us to better direct you

Old 02-09-2007, 01:47 PM

We would like to keep our housing cost at no more then $300,000
$250,000 would be more like it
I think that is what you meant about price range

Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
We would like to keep our housing cost at no more then $300,000
$250,000 would be more like it
I think that is what you meant about price range
Okay, in that price range your money will go furthest in either the Huntersville area (which is north of the city of Charlotte) or in southwest Charlotte in what is called the Steele Creek area. I like both communities. They are both in Mecklenburg county so check out the schools for info on whether or not you would want them for your daughter. Another good alternative is the city of Concord which is northeast of the city of Charlotte. That is a much smaller school system and the schools are all well regarded. To get even a little further out away also look at Harrisburg, near Concord.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM

548 posts, read 2,434,266 times
Look into Carrboro/Chapel Hill (two adjoining towns; one school system between them) and Wake County schools too. You can find homes in that price range, although of the 3, probably hardest to do in Chapel Hill. Both Wake and Carrboro/Chapel Hill schools are great. Wake schools are in and around Raleigh.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Thank you for the suggestions

Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 AM

676 posts, read 2,803,577 times
Try this website for finding good schools. It has the NC public school report card ratings.

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/adv...2006&aSearch=1

Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,385,130 times
I'd recommend Concord or Harrisburg, near Charlotte. You'd be able to get a lot of home for your money. The schools are very good, lots of shopping/restaurant options, and great I-85/I-485 access to everything the Charlotte area has to offer.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,434 times
Thumbs up Denver, NC - Catawba County

Denver is newly booming. Huntersville is very nice but if schools are important to you check out Iredell County. My one boy is in middle school and loves it and the other is in community college but he will be starting UNC Charlotte. The crime rate is low, the standards, morality and the ethics are high! We are in Mooresville. The locals call it the city. The heart of it is buzzing and not at all rural but the outskirts are very. The majority of the people here are relocated and very many are from LI, NY, NJ. If you don't like traffic Mooresville is not the place for you. As I said the schools in Iredell are probably the best in the state. Denver is very up and coming and I think would be a wonderful and safe place to raise teenagers. Mooresville is 15 min east of Denver and where you would come to do big shopping. Charlotte is 25 min south of Mooresville. We moved with from Center Moriches LI in 2005. Never thought we'd ever leave there and now we will never go back!
Good luck to you.

Quote:
Hello

3. Low crime areas

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or