Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: market, sell our house, transplants, find a job, build a home.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM

110 posts, read 456,070 times

Advertisements

FINALLY!!!

It's almost all behind me now - the job interviews, making the hard decision to move, putting my house on the market (after many weeks of fixing it up), 2 house-hunting trips, deciding where to live......

The hardest part is still ahead - saying goodbye to family and friends here in Oregon - but we're ready. I'm so ready to have all this transition behind me. We sold our house, have an offer accepted on one near Goldsboro. This has been such a roller coaster of emotions and decisions. But it's a done deal now. The movers are coming next Thursday. We will pull out on Friday or Saturday and drive across country. I flew across last week and the whole country looked white from the air, so I'm hoping we don't encounter too much winter weather. Oregon and NC are both pretty mild - it's all those freezing states in between that worry me!

Anyone else going thru a relocation that can offer advice or emotional support, or might just want to chat? Specifically, what did you do to help the kids (teenagers) make the adjustment? I think my very outspoken son is in for culture shock! Any experience with pet moving? We have a dear friend here who is going to keep our dog until we get settled, then have her flown out. Delta has what appears to be reasonable rates in their "Pet First" program ($3.50/lb - I think my dog is going on a diet!)

I haven't posted on this forum for several weeks, just been way too busy. But if I could be of any help to someone else who is just starting this process, I'd love to share what I have learned. I'll keep you all posted when I get out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,344 times
Robin,

Congrats on selling the house, I think I responded to your previous post about selling, good job. I'm in the same boat as you, my house is closing at the end of Feb and I'm making the move from WA to NC or TN, I don't have a home picked out nor a job lined up, so I'm way behind you in those cases. As to teenagers, my 18 yo refuses to move, he doesn't have to, so he's on his own. My 14 yo doesn't want to move, but I'm bribing him with a go kart to use on the land I want to buy and build a home on.

Enjoy your move and I think you'll enjoy the new area.

Tony

Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 AM

29 posts, read 96,212 times
Hello Robin,

We moved to Florida last march from Portland, OR. It was a huge move... We are not very happy with FL and we are in the process of purchasing a home on NC.

In the NW we are spoiled with great schools, even though they complain about Portland public schools they are far better than the schools our children attend in FL. The attitude here in FL seems to be on the rude side and everyone seems to be out for there own, (Driving, in line at the store, etc) just overall not a lot of consideration. We visited NC and loved it there. People were kind and considerate. In 5 days I did not encounter one unpleasant person. People said hello to you and were happy to help out navigational challenges.

I am worried about pulling the kids out of school yet again, but even they do not like what they see. I want them to grow up in a positive environment and I think they have been prepared for the move.

When we first got to FL, we had 0 friends and 0 family around us. We left all our family in the NW and were used to having friends all around us.

The culture shock was different than we had anticipated. Coming from a diverse city we were not worried about being in a different setting, but one thing that was difficult, was the segregation. In the NW everyone is the same and everyone gets along together just fine. Here in FL everyone seems to be divided; I have seen that in NC as well.

I just want us all to get along!!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Robin,

Congrats on selling the house, I think I responded to your previous post about selling, good job. I'm in the same boat as you, my house is closing at the end of Feb and I'm making the move from WA to NC or TN, I don't have a home picked out nor a job lined up, so I'm way behind you in those cases. As to teenagers, my 18 yo refuses to move, he doesn't have to, so he's on his own. My 14 yo doesn't want to move, but I'm bribing him with a go kart to use on the land I want to buy and build a home on.

Enjoy your move and I think you'll enjoy the new area.

Tony
Hey Tony -
Good luck on finding the home and job! That's quite a step! I'm in the same boat as you with my kids. My daughter is almost 18, and is moving in with my older daughter and son-in-law to finish school here. My 14 year old son isn't too happy about moving, and we also are bribing him! (He's really into cars, so we're going to get him a fixer-upper to learn on). We found a great house on an acre of land, partially wooded. It's amazing how much farther money will go in NC vs OR. I haven't "talked" to too many people who are moving from the NW - this isn't really an area that people are trying to escape from! I wouldn't be leaving here if it wasn't for the job, and I do plan to come back someday. (Though buying back in may be challenging...)

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM

170 posts, read 566,318 times
Hi everyone,
I wanted to say hi, and that we too, just made the big move East. We came from Seattle, Wa. in August. We did research online, put the house up for sale, and just moved. No job, house to come to, and never having been here. We moved with 2 boys (11 and 13), 2 dogs, and a mother in law to help. Crazy! So if we could do it, anyone can! We lived off the $ we made from our house sale for a bit, until hubby got a job here. We were in a hotel for a month, until we found the area we liked, and a house. We are in Mooresville, NC, and love it! It's amazing how much more house you get for your $ here! The one thing we talk about more than anything, is the SUN! I've never seen so many sunny days! Love it! There are a lot of people from other states, and not too many accents. Just once in a while I'll hear one, it's really cute. SO many people from NY and Florida! At least we fit in as transplants! But when people hear the NW, I always get "Wow, that's far!" As far as kids fitting in, my 11 yr old was all for it, my 13 yr. old we bribed as well. It's definitely a challenge with him, he's doing awesome in school, but still trying to make friends and fit in. I think it's tough being a teenager anyway, let alone moving. He's also a sensitive and somewhat emotional kid, so every child will be different in how they handle it. Time is the only thing to cure that one, and it will come. This was their first move EVER, so lots of friends were left behind. I would absolutely do it again, though, we have so much more to offer them here. And we do love it here. We have so many places we want to show them! (DC, NYC, etc.) Good luck with the move, it's a looong drive, but when you know it's only one way, it's not too bad! Any other questions, I'd love to answer if I can help. I'm not an expert in anyway about the area, but at least have some insight on doing the move, etc. Good luck everyone! We love it here!

Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 PM

I'm looking forward to the sun, too! I came out there twice in last month on house-hunting trips, and it was bright and sunny both times. The first trip it was in the 70's and we went to the beach; the second trip (last week) it was very cold, but bright and invigorating, not the bone-chilling wet cold we get here. I will miss the scenery - as I drive around here now I keep thinking how fortunate I am to have been able to live here. The views are breathtakingly beautiful. But you can't see them half the time when it's foggy, drizzly, drippy, rainy - all the many words that describe winter here. I'm glad I'm not moving in the summer - I hope when we pull out of the driveway it's as dreary as it gets - it'll make it easier. The past couple weeks have been unseasonably dry and sunny.
I was thinking about taking our dog on the trip with us, but am worried that we'll have a hard time finding hotels that will allow pets. Also we will be staying in a hotel in Goldsboro for a week or so until our house there closes. So we are leaving her here until we get settled, then having her flown out. It'll be quite an adventure for her - but I worry that she will think we've abandoned her. She's 8 years old and really part of the family. How did you fare driving across with pets?

To "Splendid" - thanks for your reply. I really admire you moving twice in a year. That's got to be tough but better than staying put in a place you know isn't right. I guess there's a reason why so many Floridians are moving to NC. I hope with all the migration that North Carolina doesn't eventually become like the places people are leaving from (although it could become like Oregon and I'd be OK with that

I guess there are more people from the NW than I thought! It's great to have this conversation. I'm curious why other people chose to move east. For me it was the job, 100%. I had never considered leaving Oregon. It's true the winters can be dreary but overall I think it's a great climate and culture. I'm not looking forward to the heat and humidity in the summer. But life is so much more than climate! And I have to say I have been very impressed on all my trips back there, with the friendliness of the people I have met. And I think it'll be great to be on the east coast, to take my son to DC and other places he's never seen. So much history! I'm also looking forward to shopping for antiques - maybe finding some stuff that's really old! I had a great time browsing around in New Bern on my first trip out there.

I'd love to keep this conversation going. Thanks so much for all the replies.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:03 PM

170 posts, read 566,318 times
Hi there,
Our dogs actually did quite well. Since we left in August, we didn't want to put them on a plane with the heat, so it wasn't an option. We ended up staying at Motel 6 all across the states. That was the only one I knew guaranteed where it would be allowed. And they did great. By day 2, they had a routine going. The hard part was stopping to eat. It was drive-thru all the way. Some Best Westerns and Country Inn and Suites allow as well, that's where we ended up for 2 months when we got here! But overall, I would do it again. We moved because we have relatives in PA, and in Orlando, FL. So it's nice to be in between. As well as a whole new experience on the east coast. And yes, like so many people, more for your money, able to give our kids more financially, wonderful weather, great people, the list goes on.... Oh, and as far as the weather, we got here in August, can you say hot?! We left 65 degrees in Seattle. But we expected the worst, and yes, it was hot, but it was ok, we got to love A/C! And it's not the entire year, it definitely gets cold here! And all the sunny days, Wow! It's so worth it!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:30 PM

29 posts, read 96,212 times
Moving the kids again will be hard, but my oldest is 13 and I want him to have a chance at adjusting before he hits high school. I think they will love NC. We are going to take them up there during their spring break so they can see the new house and we can explore a bit. They were not able to do that when we moved to FL. (Too far and too much to fly a fam of 5). We will move when the kids get out of school the end of May.

As for the drive across country, we had to see anyone that lived somewhat close to our path... We used priceline across the country and it worked pretty well and we got to relax in a nice hotel for the same as a ok one. It was important to sleep in a comfortable bed. One night we stayed in a small town near relatives... there was only one motel well, lets just say we were all a bit cranky that next day driving.

It was neat to see parts of the country that I had never seen; we lucked out as far as storms- they seemed to be either in front or behind us. We tried to take our time, but we have 3 kids- 5,7,13 so about 6-7 hours per day was about all any of us could take . My sister had goody bags for each person per day. We got to open one- fun little things to make the ride seem a bit faster and the kids had something to look forward to every morning instead of focusing on that long car ride...

The NW is beautiful, but I do not miss the rain. Christmas was also nice to be able to make our own traditions instead of trying to accommodate both sides of the family. I miss being close to our extended family, but it has brought our immediate family closer!

Good luck in your drive Robin!! Drive safe!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina