U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM

30,196 posts, read 67,339,144 times

Advertisements

Am I missing something? It seems like no matter where you turn in my part of Pennsylvania people are preparing to sell their homes and relocate to North Carolina, especially the Raleigh/Durham area. I read in just the past two days that the family from Pennsylvania that is the focus of the television show "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" is relocating to NC, as is a long-term hotelier from the Scranton suburbs.

Just using Wake County as an example, out of the 150 top counties for transplants into the immediate Raleigh area, 26 of them were from the Keystone State. Here are the numbers of Pennsylvania residents who have relocated South to Raleigh from 2000-2005:

Allegheny County, PA (Pittsburgh): 852
Montgomery County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 428
Chester County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 427
Bucks County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 399
Philadelphia County, PA (Philly): 328
Erie County, PA (Erie): 244
Lehigh County, PA (Allentown): 191
Centre County, PA (State College/PSU): 185
Westmoreland County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 157
Delaware County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 153
Lancaster County, PA (Lancaster/Amish Country): 151
Dauphin County, PA (Harrisburg/Hershey): 144
Berks County, PA (Reading): 141
Cumberland County, PA (Harrisburg Suburbs): 139
York County, PA (York): 120
Butler County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 118
Northampton County, PA (Bethlehem/Easton): 102
Luzerne County, PA (Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton): 96
Washington County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 72
Cambria County, PA (Johnstown): 61
Lycoming County, PA (Williamsport): 26
Franklin County, PA (Franklin): 25
Lackawanna County, PA (Scranton): 24
Beaver County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 23
Clearfield County, PA (Clearfield): 22
Monroe County, PA (Poconos): 18
Total: 4,646 PA ===> Raleigh, NC Transplants From 2000-2005

In lay man's terms, nearly 1,000 PA residents per year are moving to Raleigh. I'm certain the numbers are probably similar for most other counties in NC. To my fellow Pennsylvanians, is the Keystone State really that God awful? Pennsylvania's population is now projected to have declined in the most recent census estimate, and that trend may just continue (as our sprawl worsens, but I digress). What does Raleigh have that Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Scranton, Harrisburg, Allentown, Erie, etc. don't? Is there any hope in sight to "save" Pennsylvania from losing ALL of its residents to North Carolina?

What IS the huge draw to NC anyways? No offense, but the only reasons I've heard thus far are "there's no snow" (wusses), "there's jobs here" (there's jobs in most cities here too), or "the houses are cheaper" (Scranton has the nation's 4th-most-affordable housing market, folks). Putting these three irrelevant factors aside, what REALLY is the primary reason as to why tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians are moving to NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Out of sheer curiosity I've decided to do Mecklenberg County (Charlotte) too:

Allegheny County, PA (Pittsburgh): 1,363
Philadelphia County, PA (Philadelphia): 589
Montgomery County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 475
Chester County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 398
Bucks County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 335
Delaware County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 288
Berks County, PA (Reading): 267
Erie County, PA (Erie): 260
Lancaster County, PA (Lancaster/Amish Country): 167
Lehigh County, PA (Allentown): 153
Dauphin County, PA (Harrisburg/Hershey): 149
Westmoreland County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 142
Beaver County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 117
Cumberland County, PA (Harrisburg Suburbs): 114
York County, PA (York): 104
Luzerne County, PA (Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton): 100
Butler County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 97
Northampton County, PA (Bethlehem/Easton): 93
Monroe County, PA (Poconos): 83
Washington County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 57
Mercer County, PA (Sharon): 55
Lycoming County, PA (Williamsport): 44
Centre County, PA (State College/PSU): 21
Franklin County, PA (Franklin): 18
Indiana County, PA (Indiana): 17
Crawford County, PA (Meadville): 16
Cambria County, PA (Johnstown): 14
Total: 5,536 PA ===> Charlotte, NC Transplants

In other words roughly 10,000 people have moved from Pennsylvania to Raleigh and Charlotte alone in just the span from 2000-2005. 2,000 Pennsylvanians per year are moving to just those two counties! (The last one out of PA can turn off the lights I suppose! LOL!)

Has this massive influx of Pennsylvanians created a lot of hardships for North Carolinians?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:21 PM

33,643 posts, read 58,343,254 times
I moved to Cary from Lebanon PA in 1997, so I am not part of the statistical period.

1. The weather IS much better, for me. Winter is short and summer is long. Spring and fall are beautiful.
Weather/climate was a primary motivator, and we have not been disappointed.

2. There is much more economic opportunity than the Lebanon/Lancaster/Hershey/Harrisburg area offered. Raleigh-Cary-Chapel Hill-Durham are vigorous and with the Research Triangle Park have become an international destination.

3. Healthcare is at an elevated level compared to Central PA, IMO, due to Duke and UNC Medical Schools. The influx of highly educated folks brings world class talent to the area.

4. The proximity to some of the nicest beaches on the East Coast was a draw. We can do a long day trip to the Outer Banks, and a shorter day trip to the Wilmington area. Nice....

In the Raleigh-Cary area we lack the ridge and valley vistas and the babbling streams of Central Pennsylvania, and I miss them somewhat. Not enough to revert to living in PA, however.

We are content and comfortable here.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Out of sheer curiosity I've decided to do Mecklenberg County (Charlotte) too:

Allegheny County, PA (Pittsburgh): 1,363
Philadelphia County, PA (Philadelphia): 589
Montgomery County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 475
Chester County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 398
Bucks County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 335
Delaware County, PA (Philly Suburbs): 288
Berks County, PA (Reading): 267
Erie County, PA (Erie): 260
Lancaster County, PA (Lancaster/Amish Country): 167
Lehigh County, PA (Allentown): 153
Dauphin County, PA (Harrisburg/Hershey): 149
Westmoreland County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 142
Beaver County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 117
Cumberland County, PA (Harrisburg Suburbs): 114
York County, PA (York): 104
Luzerne County, PA (Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton): 100
Butler County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 97
Northampton County, PA (Bethlehem/Easton): 93
Monroe County, PA (Poconos): 83
Washington County, PA (Pittsburgh Suburbs): 57
Mercer County, PA (Sharon): 55
Lycoming County, PA (Williamsport): 44
Centre County, PA (State College/PSU): 21
Franklin County, PA (Franklin): 18
Indiana County, PA (Indiana): 17
Crawford County, PA (Meadville): 16
Cambria County, PA (Johnstown): 14
Total: 5,536 PA ===> Charlotte, NC Transplants

In other words roughly 10,000 people have moved from Pennsylvania to Raleigh and Charlotte alone in just the span from 2000-2005. 2,000 Pennsylvanians per year are moving to just those two counties! (The last one out of PA can turn off the lights I suppose! LOL!)

Has this massive influx of Pennsylvanians created a lot of hardships for North Carolinians?
As much as this seems like a mass influx from Pennsylvania - it's a drop in the bucket compared to the NY/NJ crowd moving here! The Charlotte metro region got 80,000 new residents last year alone. We are a very friendly welcoming place, probably to our detriment at this point. Infrastructure is a bit strained, roads are clogged - but we are enjoying watching the city become one big melting pot in Charlotte. The only time it really gets on most native's nerves is when folks who we call "damn yankees" take to complaining about everything from the lack of good pizza to critisizing the way we do things. If people come with a good attitude they usually find a nice welcome

Old 10-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the responses thus far. As I said I'm not trying to cause tensions, but as someone who is hoping to eventually herald a renaissance in his struggling Rust Belt city that was just named amongst the nation's ten "Fastest-Dying Cities," I'm feeling helpless hearing about more and more of them packing their bags and heading to North Carolina. For how many more years can NC sustain this amount of transplant influx?

P.S. You're right. There are many more people moving to NC from NJ and NY than there are from PA, and the PA transplants probably assimilate much better because they tend to lean "red," if you catch my drift.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Well, I am a native to NC . . . but I have family in PA . . . and part of my family migrated to NC from PA in the 1700s.

I agree w/ the items Mike and Loves listed, but will add what I have been told my own family. NC and PA have a lot of topography that is very similar. So if you are in the rolling hills of PA, western NC seems very familiar. The other thing I have been told by many PA newcomers to this area is they came here either to 1. get a job or 2. retire. We have a lot of retirees to this region - not just young people. The retirees seem to often cite our weather as one of the reasons they come here. Some say they like the recreation - our seasons are longer for golf . . . Also, very accessible healthcare in the areas that retirees tend to go to - such as here in CLT and in Asheville, Boone and RDU area.

As far as putting a strain . . . as Loves said - our infrastructure is behind - we need to catch up w/ roads, schools, water . . . but compatibility . . . well . . . the Pennsylvanians I know here seem to have completely blended in and enjoy their lives here.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
I think there are several reasons people move here. PA has many cities that are struggling to stay afloat. companies are moving to NC quite a bit. is one better than the other? I don't know. I lived in wilkes-barre (I was actually in mountain top!) for 4 years. I enjoyed my time there. it was different. I made the best of it. I enjoy NC. the economy at the beach is probably similar to the economy in PA! one thing I miss about PA is skiing at jack frost, big boulder, montage, and camel back. not sure if any of those places are still open, as I lived in the area long ago. when I moved away, I stopped skiing. the NC mountains are much prettier than the mountains in PA, and they have the beach. perhaps that could be the draw. I think every place is what you make of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far. As I said I'm not trying to cause tensions, but as someone who is hoping to eventually herald a renaissance in his struggling Rust Belt city that was just named amongst the nation's ten "Fastest-Dying Cities," I'm feeling helpless hearing about more and more of them packing their bags and heading to North Carolina. For how many more years can NC sustain this amount of transplant influx?

P.S. You're right. There are many more people moving to NC from NJ and NY than there are from PA, and the PA transplants probably assimilate much better because they tend to lean "red," if you catch my drift.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think there are several reasons people move here. PA has many cities that are struggling to stay afloat. companies are moving to NC quite a bit. is one better than the other? I don't know. I lived in wilkes-barre (I was actually in mountain top!) for 4 years. I enjoyed my time there. it was different. I made the best of it. I enjoy NC. the economy at the beach is probably similar to the economy in PA! one thing I miss about PA is skiing at jack frost, big boulder, montage, and camel back. not sure if any of those places are still open, as I lived in the area long ago. when I moved away, I stopped skiing. the NC mountains are much prettier than the mountains in PA, and they have the beach. perhaps that could be the draw. I think every place is what you make of it.
Yes, all of those ski resorts are still open, but Montage Mountain has been purchased by a private developer. It is now "Sno Mountain" and has been expanded to also included a zip ride and a summer water park. You wouldn't recognize Montage Mountain today. It is now home to a major lifestyle shopping center, movie theater, chain restaurants, hundreds of upscale townhouses and homes, and installations for MetLife, PNC Bank, CIGNA, BoA, and others. It's viva la sprawl!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 PM

132 posts, read 479,958 times
The northeast is all losing population in terms of net domestic migration. At least parts of the midwest as well. (including Chicago) Where would these people go? Probably to locations with a better climate (NC one of the best), low cost of living (NC one of the best), and plenty of economic oppurtunity (a thriving metro area, like Raleigh-Durham). Combine a thriving metro area with relatively short commutes and relatively cheap cost of living compared to other southern metro areas, and that might factor in to the influx.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,026,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I am a native to NC . . . but I have family in PA . . . and part of my family migrated to NC from PA in the 1700s.

I agree w/ the items Mike and Loves listed, but will add what I have been told my own family. NC and PA have a lot of topography that is very similar. So if you are in the rolling hills of PA, western NC seems very familiar. The other thing I have been told by many PA newcomers to this area is they came here either to 1. get a job or 2. retire. We have a lot of retirees to this region - not just young people. The retirees seem to often cite our weather as one of the reasons they come here. Some say they like the recreation - our seasons are longer for golf . . . Also, very accessible healthcare in the areas that retirees tend to go to - such as here in CLT and in Asheville, Boone and RDU area.

As far as putting a strain . . . as Loves said - our infrastructure is behind - we need to catch up w/ roads, schools, water . . . but compatibility . . . well . . . the Pennsylvanians I know here seem to have completely blended in and enjoy their lives here.
I have to agree with Ani's well stated post. I don't think I count as the same type of transplant as I have lived in other Southern states for over 16 years since moving from PA. We came here for a job 5 years ago, not specifically to be in NC. However, we do love NC.

While I have no desire to move back to PA, I do enjoy the similarities, trees, animals, 4 seasons (but with the milder winter). We have both mountains and beaches...how can you beat that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or