Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:36 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times

Advertisements

Nashville is alright. It is a small community, just up the road a ways from me. Rocky Mount is quite a bit larger. Nash Co. is quite scenic if you ask me; still lots of farms and backroads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 PM

75 posts, read 268,598 times
Hey ya'll!

I'm in Nash County today and tomorrow, doing research for my novel. This is a lovely place! It's very rural, lots of farms, forests bordering the Tar River, and dotted with little towns, many with those old storefront-type downtown areas. I didn't see a lot of traffic. Indeed, I didn't see much of anything that typifies city life... but that includes shopping areas, entertainment, etc. You have to drive a few miles for that.

I'm going to Rocky Mount tomorrow, but I'll be spending much of the day stuck in a library.

Oh... having lunch with Bethany.

Cheers,
Diana

Old 06-13-2006, 06:46 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Good thing about this area is you are within 1 hour of Raleigh, two hours of Atlantic Beach, 2.5 hours of Nags Head, and about 3 hours from Virginia Beach, and 2 hours from Richmond. I-95 and Hwy 64 cross in Rocky Mount. So you have an easy drive to alot of cool stuff, but are also insulated from the rat race.

What is the old saying," location, location, location".

Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 PM

12 posts, read 105,276 times
I am looking forward to my visit later this week. My husband is already there, he is working in Whitakers, which is just north of Rocky Mount.
Diana, the new library in RM is supposed to be really nice.
My in-laws & husband's grandmother live in Goldsboro & also have a house at Emerald Isle - it will be nice to finally live near family, something we haven't done in 10+ years of marriage. Plus, you can't beat the free beach vacations

Old 06-14-2006, 09:08 PM

75 posts, read 268,598 times
Yes, the library IS nice! I spent the day there today. I had no idea, however,that they were kicking off their summer reading program today, and I found the place crawling with little kids! That's okay... it was pretty quiet in the computer lab and the local history room. The staff were really helpful, and one young lady even pulled a bunch of books off the shelves for me after I told her the kinds of things I was looking for.

Cheers,
Diana

Old 09-05-2009, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,130 times
I do live in Rocky Mount, and I can say from experience it is not a great place to live. I have been counting down the years before I can leave. It started at 9 years and counting now I am down to a little less than 4 years. I have not changed my opinion in the past 5 years if that tells you anything. Rocky Mount is dirty, full of crime and has only gotten worse in the past 5 years I have been here.

I wish you the best in finding a new city.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,155 times
Default relocating to area

I'm a single mother of two girls, considering a job offer in Whitaker engine plant.I need to help researching the area which in shout'd relocate to.please anyone with suggestions. Thank you

Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM

275 posts, read 330,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilmangirl View Post
I'm a single mother of two girls, considering a job offer in Whitaker engine plant.I need to help researching the area which in shout'd relocate to.please anyone with suggestions. Thank you
Let me ask you this. How far are you willing to commute because the Rocky Mt. area is in a serious decline and I wouldn't recommend that area to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina