U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:43 PM

76 posts, read 424,269 times

Advertisements

I got a book today about all the activities for families to do in NC. One of the more interesting ones was Reed Gold Mine. They offer tours and gold panning. Has anyone been there or done that? It is located in Midland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,079,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync
I got a book today about all the activities for families to do in NC. One of the more interesting ones was Reed Gold Mine. They offer tours and gold panning. Has anyone been there or done that? It is located in Midland.
Once I get back I would like to (if possible) check out an Emerald mine. NC is quite the Emerald state. Only panning for gold I have done was at Knott's Berry Farm, so will have to check that out.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,680,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Once I get back I would like to (if possible) check out an Emerald mine. NC is quite the Emerald state. Only panning for gold I have done was at Knott's Berry Farm, so will have to check that out.
The main gem-collecting counties are Alexander (emeralds and hiddenite), Macon (rubies, sapphires, and garnets), and Mitchell (emeralds and aquamarine).

Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,355,961 times
Quote:
I have been there...did not pan for gold but did take the tour. Your right it is very fascinating...I took my parents out there while the kids were in school (my Father had read about the gold mine in Our State Mag.). Turns out the day we were there...it was only the three of us (not including the tour guide)...so we had the place to ourselves. I grew up panning for gold with my Dad so this was quite a treat for us and to find out it was the first documented gold find in the U.S. was impressive.

One other stop you might make while out that way is at the Old School Mill located in Locust, NC. They have a general store and a restaurant to boot called The Fresh House. Inside you will find bakery items (made on the premises) along with jams and jellies, and homemade ice cream (plus much more). The food at the The Fresh House is excellent!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
I have been there...did not pan for gold but did take the tour. Your right it is very fascinating...I took my parents out there while the kids were in school (my Father had read about the gold mine in Our State Mag.).
I thought we would take the kids. They are 2, 6, and 8. I know the 2 year old won't get much out of it but I thought the 6 and 8 year olds would get a kick out of it. Yes?

Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,355,961 times
Quote:
I thought we would take the kids. They are 2, 6, and 8. I know the 2 year old won't get much out of it but I thought the 6 and 8 year olds would get a kick out of it. Yes?

I think they will enjoy it...and I'm sure the 2 year old will have just as much fun getting thoroughly wet while doing a little panning on the side If they are not afraid to enter the mine...that too is fun (and cool...even on the warm summer days). They are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Another place I would highly recommend is Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooreseville.

In case you have not seen it..I created a thread some time ago (under the Charlotte city forum, titled "Thinking about Charlotte and surrounding areas". It's a list of things that my family and I have done in the area (including field trips).

Enjoy exploring!

Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
The main gem-collecting counties are Alexander (emeralds and hiddenite), Macon (rubies, sapphires, and garnets), and Mitchell (emeralds and aquamarine).
Thanks for the scoop, I shall mark that on the to do list.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:43 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,188,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Thanks for the scoop, I shall mark that on the to do list.
Hiddenite has lately been featured on the Travel Channel as a place to rock hound and look for gems. One family owns a 12 acre site that has yielded some pretty spiffy rocks, among them an emerald that was crafted into this set

Old 06-06-2006, 11:52 PM

We watched a show that had the guy who was broke and he was digging for Emeralds and just before he sold his land found and struck it rich. Pretty interesting story.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 AM

What can you tell me about the Lazy 5 Ranch? That sounds interesting. Also is there an emerald mine around here that you can visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina