U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,883,543 times

Advertisements

oops, double post. my bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM

676 posts, read 2,798,395 times
Originally Posted by fastfilm
backtofla, your friends must be trying to go back to Santa Barbara, Cambria or Palos Verdes, Calif. To want to go back to, say, Los Angeles, would be signs of a delusional mental illness.

Hey, we are actually leaving the Santa Barbara area for NC!!!!! It ain't all that is cracked up to be here either. Our median home price is almost 1.3 million and fixer uppers go for over $700K, plus we still have wannabe gangs, over 50% Hispanic which causes a strain on our public schools and a fair amount of grafiti. Sure, it is paradise to tourists and rich people, but it is a horrible struggle to live here as a normal person. Anyway, back to the original question, we actually tossed around the idea of Phoenix a couple of years ago and spent a week checking it out. It was not for us at all. I hated the dry, scraggy look of the landscape, the cookie cutter stucco houses, lack of water, strip malls, no cute downtown or "mom and pop" shops or restaurants. Everything is a chain and people seemed like they kept to themselves. I wouldn't say rude, but not friendly either. If you like the color green, you do not move to Phoenix.

Last edited by enlightenme; 06-06-2006 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
cookie cutter stucco houses, lack of water, strip malls, no cute downtown or "mom and pop" shops or restaurants.
take out "stucco" and "lack of water". And you've just described the triangle.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:22 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
take out "stucco" and "lack of water". And you've just described the triangle.
Sorry, dumb question, but what is the "triangle"?

Old 06-06-2006, 05:27 PM

lol.. That's what the Raleigh-Durham area is more commonly refered to..."The Triange" Fromed by Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. That's actually all it's called here really. It's always "this business is coming to the triangle" or "a triangle man did this and such".

Old 06-06-2006, 05:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
lol.. That's what the Raleigh-Durham area is more commonly refered to..."The Triange" Fromed by Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. That's actually all it's called here really. It's always "this business is coming to the triangle" or "a triangle man did this and such".
Got it- kinda thought that but didn't want to assume!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:50 PM

We all know what happens when you assume.... but that wouldn't have been the case this time because you were right. lol.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 PM

35 posts, read 182,871 times
Well, I live in Anthem, AZ now..just north of Phoenix. Im originally from NJ and have lived in Vegas and California..We have been here 3.5 yrs and I cant wait to get out..I love when I hear people say its dry heat..I dont care what you call it..It is like opening your front door and seriously walking into an oven. I mean from Mid may to about end of Sept it is in the 100's..In may and even October still in 90s..Again, some people love the desert terrain. I think it looks like dead hay and no real trees. Im looking for 4 seasons..but not too harsh. We went to Apex, NC in Jan and then in July. We loved it..just really clean and friendly..I was there this past Jan and it was in the 60's during the day. We are going to the Denver area in July to check it out. My brother in law is moving there in June..Looks like there is tons to do. I just wonder if I can handle the cold and all the snow in the winters. But it does have lots of sunny days whereas, NC has alot of rainy days?? Hard decision for us..but I know for sure it isnt AZ..I just recommend coming to AZ in the summer for at least a week before moving here to see if you can handle it..cause if you cant handle a week, 5 months is compete hell!!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,894,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Hello to all the Californians,

I'm curious. Since discovering this forum over the last few days, I've poked around on the other states (to be nosey). Particularly I was looking at some of the other fast growing cities, one being Pheonix. Seems to be a very hot area (no pun intended). The economy seems to be booming there and people are jazzed up about being in the desert (I know it's not all desert). I have a friend who relocated to take a job in high-tech out there from MA. So far he likes it, although when I tell him about my move to Charlotte, I hear a smiggin (sp?) of jealously in his silence (probably b/c my move to NC is totally my choice, vs. his perceived need to stay moving upward in his field- we are both software engineers by the way).

Anyway, I've only driven through parts of AZ and I totally thought it was a beautiful state (we actually drove from Vegas to Grand Canyon and it was an AWESOME drive to see the terrain change from desert, to some green, then hilly green, than mountains and caverns). There seems to be a lot of excitement on the AZ forum (however the NC is still the HOT forum of all). I'm just curious if Pheonix, or Scottsdale was ever a consideration for the CA folks? I figure it's a lot closer than come all the way east.

I have no good reason other than being nosey!

Thank You,

Mike

How about the houses are $$$$$$ in Phoenix and no beach.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 PM

91 posts, read 230,760 times
Smile Arizona Resident Chimes In

Hello all,

Since I'm in the Phoenix area considering a move to NC, I'd like to chime in if I can...it's because the Phoenix area is becoming California! Even though I've never lived in CA, and love to visit, AZ sure does seem to become more and more like it with each passing year. It takes me 1.5 hours to get to work one way. Traffic is not traffic anymore, it's a giant parking lot. The infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the fast-paced growth. Seems like everyone is moving here and they are doing it all at once. Our housing prices have more than doubled in the past couple of years in many places. It's crazy. It's a great place for many people, but, I don't think that AZ is the place for our family any more. We are NC bound....if not this summer, it'll be soon. My spouse and kids are ready to hit the road and head eastbound. Take care all,....and really....anywhere you lay your hat is your home as long as you have the people with you that mean the most. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina