U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 2 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,360 posts, read 4,645,336 times

Advertisements

Hello to all the Californians,

I'm curious. Since discovering this forum over the last few days, I've poked around on the other states (to be nosey). Particularly I was looking at some of the other fast growing cities, one being Pheonix. Seems to be a very hot area (no pun intended). The economy seems to be booming there and people are jazzed up about being in the desert (I know it's not all desert). I have a friend who relocated to take a job in high-tech out there from MA. So far he likes it, although when I tell him about my move to Charlotte, I hear a smiggin (sp?) of jealously in his silence (probably b/c my move to NC is totally my choice, vs. his perceived need to stay moving upward in his field- we are both software engineers by the way).

Anyway, I've only driven through parts of AZ and I totally thought it was a beautiful state (we actually drove from Vegas to Grand Canyon and it was an AWESOME drive to see the terrain change from desert, to some green, then hilly green, than mountains and caverns). There seems to be a lot of excitement on the AZ forum (however the NC is still the HOT forum of all). I'm just curious if Pheonix, or Scottsdale was ever a consideration for the CA folks? I figure it's a lot closer than come all the way east.

I have no good reason other than being nosey!

Thank You,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,937,422 times
Why trade one desert for another desert? Especially when CA is the better desert.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 AM

2,481 posts, read 6,009,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069

I'm curious. Since discovering this forum over the last few days, I've poked around on the other states (to be nosey). Particularly I was looking at some of the other fast growing cities, one being Pheonix. Seems to be a very hot area (no pun intended). The economy seems to be booming there and people are jazzed up about being in the desert (I know it's not all desert). I have a friend who relocated to take a job in high-tech out there from MA. So far he likes it, although when I tell him about my move to Charlotte, I hear a smiggin (sp?) of jealously in his silence (probably b/c my move to NC is totally my choice, vs. his perceived need to stay moving upward in his field- we are both software engineers by the way).

Anyway, I've only driven through parts of AZ and I totally thought it was a beautiful state (we actually drove from Vegas to Grand Canyon and it was an AWESOME drive to see the terrain change from desert, to some green, then hilly green, than mountains and caverns). There seems to be a lot of excitement on the AZ forum (however the NC is still the HOT forum of all). I'm just curious if Pheonix, or Scottsdale was ever a consideration for the CA folks? I figure it's a lot closer than come all the way east.

Thank You,

Mike

hmmm..good question Mike. In my particular case I was born in Phoenix, AZ but my family moved to CA when I was younger. Actually my parents (with me in tow) went back and forth several times before they finally put a firm foothold in CA). A good chunk of my family still lives in AZ. I too have seen how different areas of AZ have exploded with new growth (many from CA). I can't even begin to tell you how Sedona has changed from when my youth was spent there. Many of my family members (who are natives to AZ) have moved farther and farther out only to have the growth follow them after a period of time (kind of what you are seeing in the Carolinas...but much more progressed in AZ). In our case the opportunity for a job transfer was to the Carolina's but to say if the situation was given to us for AZ...I am sure we would not have moved there (the growth has already far exceeded what we wanted for this time in our life, the pace in the Carolina's is one we feel more content with, the Carolina's are within easy access to the mountains, lakes, and beaches...and the views are very easy on the eyes...of course as everyone else has noticed the home prices ain't half bad either.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 AM

889 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069

Thank You,

Mike
Since i am from Calif. and leaving in less than a week to make our move i will answer the question.
For us, North Carolina was the home prices, my son lives there and introduced us the state and i think it is a beautiful state.
Personallly, i just dont find Arizona to be that attractive.Granted, i have driven through it and just been as far as a hotel in Phoenix close to the airport but the desert does not do it for me. It was just not a thought to be honest.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,062,221 times
Well I was born and raised in Southern CA. Have spent time in both Pheonix and Scottsdale on vaction (spring training for baseball, grand canyon etc.) To some they would consider that terrain beautiful. To me there is nothing beuautiful about it. Dry, dead and ugly and HOT. We came out of a restuarant at almost 10 pm one night and it was 116 degrees still. It may be dry heat but it is always hot there. The Summers are LONG and the Winters Short. I would rather live in the humidity of the South for a shorter period of time than the heat of AZ for 6 months out of the year or more. Currently it has been running 112 there and 100 here in inland southern CA. Plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder and green, trees, dune swept beaches are much more appealing to me than dead, dry, cactus, Joshua Tree deserts. But we have friends in AZ who absolutely love it. To each their own!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM

2,227 posts, read 5,848,642 times
yeah and i have a friend who's family is from california. now they live in the mtns of nc, and last i heard they are trying to go back to california

"to each their own"

Old 06-06-2006, 01:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 4,720,003 times
backtofla, your friends must be trying to go back to Santa Barbara, Cambria or Palos Verdes, Calif. To want to go back to, say, Los Angeles, would be signs of a delusional mental illness.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
Well I was born and raised in Southern CA. Have spent time in both Pheonix and Scottsdale on vaction (spring training for baseball, grand canyon etc.) To some they would consider that terrain beautiful. To me there is nothing beuautiful about it. Dry, dead and ugly and HOT. We came out of a restuarant at almost 10 pm one night and it was 116 degrees still. It may be dry heat but it is always hot there. The Summers are LONG and the Winters Short. I would rather live in the humidity of the South for a shorter period of time than the heat of AZ for 6 months out of the year or more. Currently it has been running 112 there and 100 here in inland southern CA. Plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder and green, trees, dune swept beaches are much more appealing to me than dead, dry, cactus, Joshua Tree deserts. But we have friends in AZ who absolutely love it. To each their own!
Well you pretty much summed it up- it's where you are going to "connect" with/to. If I were single, I would probably give Pheonix a try, since the desert living *would be really different and somewhat of an experience I'd want to have*. Having a young family- not really (most because all family and friends are on the east coast and at worst case a 6 hour car trip or 2.5 hour plan ride away).

Your comment about the long summers and short winters is a first for me (lol)- typically that's what you hear over in the Northeast except in reverse

I'm originally from Miami, and couldn't wait to get out of the heat. So when I moved to Boston 14 years ago, it was GREAT (4 distinct seasons). Many friends I made here were shocked (why would I want to NOT be there?)

The Pheonix heat is also pretty wild- my friend made the same comment- he came out of a gym at 8pm and it was 102 degrees.

Last edited by Miker2069; 06-06-2006 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-06-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
backtofla, your friends must be trying to go back to Santa Barbara, Cambria or Palos Verdes, Calif. To want to go back to, say, Los Angeles, would be signs of a delusional mental illness.
Probably the only place I've heard sane people justify paying $700K for 1000 sqft is in San Francisco. I asked someone about it, and they replied, "it's got everything you'd ever want (meaning mountains, ocean, things to do, etc.)". I couldn't quite grasp it but, like someone said above "to each his own!"

Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,444,102 times
From what I've heard, AZ is experiencing the same thing Florida is. Overspeculation, overpriced housing, skyrocketing cost of living in every aspect (groceries, gas, water, electricty etc.). I for one am a bit apaled that the US gov't and AZ state gov't fund billions to pump water into the desert so they can have giant green golf courses. If they want to play golf, go someplace where there is grass (like the 90% of the country that ISN'T desert), don't use our money to irrigate your parched uninhabitable land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina