Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 67,857 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocation to North Carolina. I am thinking about Asheville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem or Raleigh.. I was raised in Cambridge, MA which is very educated and culturally diverse as well as being a city of it's own and a hop, skip and a jump from Boston. I lived in New York City for a year and loved the energy, culture and creativity. But it is too cold, dirty and expensive as well as too competitive and fast paced for me.. I am a vegetarian and an artist with hippie parents..lol I am a 32 year old single mom..I have a section 8 voucher and my income is 1500$ a month and I will be going to school to get myself out of poverty. I like to be near a city but I like the quality of life of the suburbs. I want my son to be in a good school.. We are in an armpit of Rhode Island now and my 7 year old son gets called profane names and has kids throwing rocks at him on a daily basis..it's all around negative (it's a rough town like most low income neighborhoods). I value culture, artists, free thinkers... Any feedback is greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 01:35 PM

124 posts, read 479,177 times
Sounds like Asheville would be a good fit.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
I agree with the Asheville recommendation, but you may want to look at Winston-Salem as well.

The Downtown Arts District is getting stronger all the time, and there is an Arts Based Elementary School. You may wish to also check the Arts Council (http://www.intothearts.org/default.asp - broken link). It is the first Arts Council formed in the US and W-S has been called the City of the Arts for many years. While W-S is not as "hippie chic" as Asheville overall, you can easily find a sizable corps of kindred spirits. Also, the cost of living will be more manageable in W-S than Asheville. And I cannot leave out the UNC School of the Arts (http://www.ncarts.edu/ - broken link). One cannot underestimate the many contributions the school makes to the city's creative energy, whether a student there or not.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM

86 posts, read 220,787 times
Asheville sounds good for you, but I also think Chapel Hill or Carrboro would be great for you.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro is near a city (Durham) and has a very strong hippie/artist contingent, especially in Carrboro. You will be up to your ears in organic food, starving artist types, bikers, bare feet, and granola. This is a very lively, supportive community.
Chapel Hill is just as liberal, but has a more intellectual bent. (Free thinkers, as you said). Higher cost of living.

Asheville HS is a good school, but the Chapel Hill schools are nationally known for their rigor and excellence.

Here is a comparison forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...asheville.html

Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Just be aware that Sec. 8 housing here is not gonna be the same type you are used to in RI. If you are depending on Sec. 8 . . . do check this out first.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Default NC Section 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just be aware that Sec. 8 housing here is not gonna be the same type you are used to in RI. If you are depending on Sec. 8 . . . do check this out first.
Could you elaborate on that a little more?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
What do you do for a living? what kind of work are you looking for? What will you be going back to school for?

Answers to those questions will help narrow down what place may be the best fit.

Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What do you do for a living? what kind of work are you looking for? What will you be going back to school for?

Answers to those questions will help narrow down what place may be the best fit.

Good Luck!
My plans are still in development..currently I am studying graphic design.. I am not so concerned with employment because I plan to focus on school.. Which leaves me with flexiblity. And I am fortunate to be able to do that because I receive survivor benefits from my son's deceased father. And I have a secretarial background so I will be starting out with temp agencys. I basically just need a change of environment, a less harsh climate, and a better quality of life which I continually hear that the south you get more for you dollar..

Last edited by Vanilla32; 10-15-2008 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
I continually hear that the south you get more for you dollar..
Just out of curiousity....where do you hear this? I ask because I'm a NC native and I'm read that on these forums a lot. Is it coming from friends, neighbors, business partners? CNBC?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM

Oh and thank you to roadpony and flyingpiggy for great detailed answers..I appreciate your insight. I will definately look into those areas more..

P.S. I really miss being in a walking town..I would love to be able to ditch the car and get around on foot once in a while...R any of these places by chance walking towns?

Last edited by Vanilla32; 10-15-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina