Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I have noticed my husband is now getting the attitude if 'no one else is using his/her turn signal, why should I' and it is driving me crazy! I am determined to continue using mine.
Funny, I felt the same way when I was visiting! I felt I stood out when using my blinker. Crazy, crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,664 times
Default turn signals & blinkers

I grew up in the North and have lived in the South for five years. I get more people who poke fun at me when I call them "blinkers." So, citydweller, it was nice to read that someone else says it too!

I've come to realize from living in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia that brake lights ARE the turn signal!!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:28 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I am so glad to see that I am not the only one from the North who now catches themselves not using turn signals. I used them all the time but feel really out of place using them now. LOL. But I have gotten into the habit of not using them. As far as pulling out in front of people, I had to do that in MD or I never got out so that is not a new thing for me here. I just feel more in place than ever. LOL

Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 AM

89 posts, read 417,150 times
Okay, a couple of more tips for my fellow Raleighites...1) when coming off of Brentwood turning right onto Capital - it is OKAY to turn right on green, it is even okay to turn right on red when there is absolutely nothing in the oncoming lane. 2) Pedestrians in downtown - the blaring red hand on that sign means to stay put because there are cars coming and it is dangerous for you to enter the crosswalk. 3) Yes, your cell phone could potentially becoming a weapon used for those around you. When you ring whoever and you get on your celly the roads do not open on all sides and the cars behind and beside you do not disappear. If you are not able to hold a conversation and go the speed limit, or at least stay in your lane maybe you could wait until you get home to a landline where it is safer for all?
Whew, my morning therapy....

Old 02-16-2007, 10:23 AM

134 posts, read 549,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariegirl View Post
Okay, a couple of more tips for my fellow Raleighites...1) when coming off of Brentwood turning right onto Capital - it is OKAY to turn right on green, it is even okay to turn right on red when there is absolutely nothing in the oncoming lane. 2) Pedestrians in downtown - the blaring red hand on that sign means to stay put because there are cars coming and it is dangerous for you to enter the crosswalk. 3) Yes, your cell phone could potentially becoming a weapon used for those around you. When you ring whoever and you get on your celly the roads do not open on all sides and the cars behind and beside you do not disappear. If you are not able to hold a conversation and go the speed limit, or at least stay in your lane maybe you could wait until you get home to a landline where it is safer for all?
Whew, my morning therapy....
YOU GO GIRL!!! I especially like the one about the cars that dont disappear.....

Old 02-16-2007, 10:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Erin,
Yes "blinker" is what I have always called the turn signals....and I''m orginally from Big Bear Lake CA. Go figure??!! Down the hill here in CA everyone hasn't a clue what I'm talking about!! Odd!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I have visited Raleigh a few times over the last couple of months and I was surprised at the lack of use of turn signals! Is this a (more?) southern thing? Is Charlotte the same? LOL. Seriously, here in So Va probably 1/3 of folks use theirs (which my northern friend yells about all the others) but down there it seems to be a rarity which is funny considering how many people are moving there from somewhere else. I guess all the foreigners are adopting the no-signal policy.
I like Raleigh, and we are excited to be moving back there in the next month or so, BUT HOLY @#$% do the people drive like crap! That is one of the things I am dreading about moving back to NC.

The pet peeve list is large when it comes to driving but in addition to the lack of signals we have things like:

- You're going 45mph down a 1-lane road and someone will pull in front of you, make you hit your brakes, and watch them as they "get up to speed" in about 10 minutes. (Even then they will go under the speed limit.)

- The general lack of awareness of other motorists is another Raleigh staple. I get cut-off more times in Raleigh by some cell-phone-talking "driver" than anywhere else. Even the non cell phone types are oblivious to those around them.

- Merging: This is where "southern hospitality" doesn't apply. Instead of everyone using the open lanes until the merge point (a law in some states) and go 1-for-1 into the merge zone, we just like to rush like made to the end and fight over who gets to merge first.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I love reading this thread...it makes me laugh. It sort of sounds like So. CA. except here we do use turn signals..even when no one is turning. Infact people just leave them on incase they decide to eventually turn. Again you never know when they are REALLY going to turn. As far as the mad rush for the merge..CA has got to be the worst for that. And once the person in front of you gets there before you they slow down to a crawl. Of course there is that person behind you right on your bumper talking on his/her cell phone. You know if you should need to brake they will be in your back seat. It's crazy here too. Guess it won't be that big of a change after all!!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:35 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
What's a turn signal?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Of course we use turn signals. The signal is when you see the driver's door of the car in front of you, broadside in the road. That means he's making a left hand turn. And, when you see the passenger's door in front of you broadside in the road...you got it. A right hand turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina