Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

I suspect that areas with a high percentage of people that signal is due primiarly due the fact the use of signals is enforced. Ever heard of someone in NC getting a ticket for not signaling? I haven't.

And by example.

I followed an APD car out Patton Ave this afternoon.
Raining (a good thing) but he did not have his headlights on (state law, wipers on, headlights are to be on)
Changed lanes a couple of times, no signal. (did signal when he turn onto a side street)
Following too close, less than a car length at 40+ MPH, and in the rain no less.

OBTW, I signaled, headlights were on, and I don't tailgate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 15,167 times
Default what do you mean?

but the thing is, everybody ain't from north carolina, so how can you talk about nc drivers, and you don't know where they are from. I lived in north carolina my whole life, and to be honest, out-of-state drivers CAN'T drive. They don't even think about letting people over, they only care about that little bit of space to gain in traffic for THEMSELVES.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM

217 posts, read 878,989 times
This driving thing gets beat to death, but something I've noticed no matter where I lived: The worst drivers tend to be those who complain constantly about other drivers. There's nothing wrong with pointing out bad drivers, but if you are a jerk about it, chances are, you are a bad driver too.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Moderator note:

This thread is going off topic please reread the original post before posting

Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 AM

18 posts, read 74,765 times
Lack of signaling on North Carolina's highways is fairly common, in just about any area.
And, as is the case with most aspects of society these days, people just DON'T TAKE TIME TO THINK... about much other than themselves and what they want. Unfortunately, this also means that they don't think about keeping themselves - or others - safe.

I kindly suggest that you not concern yourself so much with this *lack* of what is a good driving habit, and instead focus on working to be the ULTIMATE defensive driver!

That advice applies ESPECIALLY if driving in/around the Wilmington, NC area. Between Senior retirees, college kids, and the usual dangerous drivers you'll find anywhere, the area has seen a population explosion that was never planned for when the roadways were built many years ago. Wilmington is one place you'd do well to drive your "beater", and keep the nice vehicles safely in your garage.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 202,482 times
I admit it, I do not use a turn signal if there is nobody behind me, getting on the interstate (where else will I go straight) or if I am in the turning lane. My grip is the idiots that put on brakes on the interstate to let someone on instead of moving over to the other lane and those that do not move over where there is a sign saying the lane ends in such amount of feet.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
I am one of those transplants from New Jersey. The drivers in New Jersey tailgate more than anyone else. When I am being tailgated or see someone being tailgated here in Charlotte, I tend to think they are a transplant from the north. Same thing with speeders, although no state's drivers holds the patent on who are the worst speed demons.

That being said, it was rare for me to see people in NJ to change lanes without signaling. I have never seen it as much as I have here. I am sure not all the ones not signaling are natives, but I would bet 3/4ths of them are.

Last night, in the rain, I saw cars change lanes without signaling. Why??????? Like I said before, a fine for failure to signal should be hefty since the act of signaling is so damn easy and the value of signaling to other people is so high. It creates a safer driving environment, it lets everyone know what the you are doing, it's courteous, it's ignorance not to signal, it's very easy, and above anything else, it's the law.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I noticed the lack of signals (and more tailgating) while visiting Raleigh. In my hometown in NE NC most folks are actually pretty good about using their signal and here in Va Beach for the most part folks do. I think the further south you go the less they use em but I could be wrong.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

Last night, in the rain, I saw cars change lanes without signaling. Why???????
Quite often signaling your intent causes other drivers to block you move by closing up the gap you are trying to move into.

There are also those that believe that the turn signal gives them the right to change lanes regardless of how dangerous the lane change is. Turn signal on, get out of my way I'm more important than you attitude.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 PM

208 posts, read 605,009 times
[quote=theroc5156;2824398]I am one of those transplants from New Jersey. The drivers in New Jersey tailgate more than anyone else. When I am being tailgated or see someone being tailgated here in Charlotte, I tend to think they are a transplant from the north. Same thing with speeders, although no state's drivers holds the patent on who are the worst speed demons.

That being said, it was rare for me to see people in NJ to change lanes without signaling. I have never seen it as much as I have here. I am sure not all the ones not signaling are natives, but I would bet 3/4ths of them are.

Where my cousin lives in western North Carolina, an area with a mostly native population, most people use turn signals and drive reasonably. Most of the people I see not using turn signals and driving aggressively usually have out of state tags. The same thing applies to the area of Tennessee I live in now. But you are right about New Jersey drivers: That is one group of out of state drivers I see using turn signals virtually all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina