Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,616 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Elizabeth City, NC, and recently moved to Rochester, NY. I put my kids in the school system there and WOW! I never should've moved to NY. Those cats are crazy! I'm already thinking of moving back to the safety of the Harbor of Hospitality, my favorite home of E-City. There's no place like it and the schools are so safe compared to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 AM

57 posts, read 160,305 times
Post it's up to you

no matter where you move to your childs education will depend on how much time you add to it. the schools here are very good and are getting better and better as more people from the north move here, (thats not the only reason) IF YOUR SMART ABOUT FUTURE stay out of the cities the politics in them are still way behind the times, you have a better chance to get your view out in small or rural areas. good luck in your efforts but don't make education of your children the only reason to move someplace it's not fair to the whole family, you must remm ber that you and your wife need to be happy in order for the family to stay togeather.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 PM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
If Your Looking To Stay On The East Coast, Close To Beaches Try Currituck Nc Its Just Over The Va Line And Its A Nice Area, Schools Are Good, But As The Others Have Stated Its Not Only The School Its The Teachers And Parent Who Work Together. If A Child Is Not Wanting To Learn And Parents Are Not On The Same Page With The Teachers Then It Does Not Matter What School. Good Luck Hope You Find That Perfect Place.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 AM

60 posts, read 197,948 times
Higher School grades= more privledged students. As a teacher, I get so annoyed by school grading. Like another poster said, it the parent involvement that determines student success!! All of the life experiences and encouragement that students receive will prepare them to be successful students.
Teachers want ALL students to reach their potential, but it is the parents who will make the greatest impact on their children's education!!!

Okay-I am finished!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 17,671 times
Hi, I'm new to this site, please bear with me, I'm not sure this posting will be in the correct place.
My husband recently took a transfer from Manhattan, NY to Raleigh, NC. We are moving this month. We've found a home in Apex in Haddon Hall that we'd like to purchase. However, I've read a few things about a fire last year that involved a scare of chlorine toxins and possible contamination of drinking water etc.
Should I be wary of purchasing a home in this area or has all been deemed safe?
If there's anything else I should avoid please feel free to give your advice.
We are primarily looking for a child friendly atmosphere. My children are 8 and 5 (almost). I like the convenience of Haddon Commons and a pool community.
I like the pool area as a mutual meeting place. I'm a bit nervous about dropping off for playdates without knowing a child's family well. I can only assume a child's family will feel the same about me.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
Ny schools are so much better then NC schools, I will warn you that from the beginning. Having said that, has someone else mentioned Wake County is experiencing a huge growth problem and kids are getting redistricted, bussed around, year round schooled...so it is hard for you to decide on one school or another in that area. I would suggest staying away from Wake County and going to the Chapel Hill area or Clayton area which is in Johnston County outside of Wake. As far as Charlotte,Char meck schools leave a lot to be desired for, I have heard that the schools on the outskirts are good though. Good luck, I know it is so hard to make that type of decision. We almost moved to NC for a second time, this time however we have a child...and decided that his education was more important to us then moving there. I grew up in northern NY with the regents program. I believe that program is wonderful!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If you are looking at Raleigh, then Wake is the school district and that covers all the schools you mentioned. In the Triangle as a whole, Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools have the best reputation and highest scores.

Both High Schools in Chapel Hill were rated among the top 100 in the nation by Newsweek as well and the average SAT scores are the highest in the state.
I agree, after much research which is why we're looking to move to Chapel Hill. Plus the growing pains of Wake County scared me. Although I had believed public education in MA was, in general better than what you'd find in NC, both Chapel Hill high schools outscored anything in MA except Boston Latin.

This is probably a question for the triangle only forum but anyone know anything or have any feelings about the new school opening in Carrboro? Do you think it will be on a par with the Chapel Hill high schools?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:58 PM

44 posts, read 200,831 times
Raleigh school systems are stressed because of the massive influx of students, so I would suggest one of the other larger cities, however I was raised in Harnett County and there were definitely less distraction for a young student when they go to school in a rural area outside of the city. I would say some of the surrounding and slower growing counties to Raleigh would be a better bet.

Plus Charlotte seems to have more money in the city so maybe they have better public schools. I know that they also offer good private schools.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Move anywhere in the state, give your child lots of home support, and focus on trying to get admitted to the NC School of Science and Math for junior and senior years (Welcome to the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics). Since they try to admit kids from all over the state, a rural area could be an advantage.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,131 times
Red face Special Education

We are also thinking of moving to NC. I, currently, am a 10yr veteran of the Special Education Teaching Field. We live in Oklahoma. If you ask around within our state, Choctaw Nicoma Park School District is well known for providing exceptional special ed services with great success. This is not info commonly posted and rated for school districts. I have a 9 year old with mild autism. I am most concerned with a finding a district that has good success rates for spec. ed and that other spec. ed parents are thrilled with (ie. the teachers are good with spec. ed kids, students get what they need, served in least restrictive environment). This type of info is passed word of mouth and by reputation. Any HELP out there for this info. in North Carolina (no region preference)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina