Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:41 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

My favorite fast food NC dish is a shrimp burger --"all the way"--which means, blush, with cole slaw and hot sauce. Great ones found at the White Oak drive in out on Bogue Banks, NC coast. Their apple sticks for dessert are pretty addictive. And just for comparison, try their barbecue sandwich, too. I usually get both a shrimp and a Que, since it's a bit of a drive to get there. Fill up the tank, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM

69 posts, read 294,900 times
Default please post recipe

Yes someone please post a recipe for fried cornbread....

Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM

69 posts, read 294,900 times
Default Never Lived there but

This is so wierd I never lived in NC or any southern state for that matter at least not yet, we are working on it hopefully we will be living in NC within the year so we will love it and fit right in. But all these foods everyone is talking about is the only way i know how to cook that is the way my mom cooked and taught me and that's the way i cook for my family but yet i nevered been in the south. except for the corn bread, that we always baked so if anyone has a fried cornbread recipe please post it so i can enjoy it.. thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 05:26 PM

89 posts, read 417,225 times
Fried cornbread that I was raised on...cornmeal, one egg, and milk enough to make it like pancake batter. Plenty of oil or whatever grease you want to use - they're almost deep fried. I like diced onions in mine every time, sometimes jalepenos, but those are optional. Enjoy! (It is a must to eat them while they are hot.)

Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 PM

23 posts, read 78,674 times
Growing up one thing we always had for dessert was a leaf of lettuce with a half pear or pineapple slice on top, a small dallop of miracle whip and a little shredded cheese sprinkled on top. It sounds god awful, but really is quite good. I always assumed it was a southern thing. Are others familiar with this or were we out in left field on this one? Not sure what it's called.

Also, on the subject of good food, we are about to get a Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ in Morrisville. I love that place, but there was never one close by.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM

60 posts, read 309,206 times
eu-nc,
My mom would fix the same "dessert" for us as well! I hadn't thought about that in YEARS. The only difference is, it wasn't my favorite . You are not alone, there is someone else in the world who has had that. I don't know what its called either, maybe someone else will chime in.

Nicole

Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
No one has mentioned one of my favorites-

Sliced cucumbers w/onions in vinegar served ice cold.

Butterbeans topped w/ stewed tomatoes

Fried okra, squash

Old 02-23-2007, 08:29 AM

89 posts, read 417,225 times
You're right - I did forget about all of those! I like my cukes in the pepper vinegar I am so attached to with some fresh ground pepper on top. I don't let them stay long enough to get mushy, but time enough to get hot! I'm going to be doing a lot of cooking this weekend....

Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,936 times
We used to have pineapple sandwiches, which goes to prove that we would put anything between two pieces of bread. Pineapple ring from a can on white bread with mayonaise. It would hold you about long enough to get out the door and then you were hungry again.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu-nc View Post
Growing up one thing we always had for dessert was a leaf of lettuce with a half pear or pineapple slice on top, a small dallop of miracle whip and a little shredded cheese sprinkled on top. It sounds god awful, but really is quite good. I always assumed it was a southern thing. Are others familiar with this or were we out in left field on this one? Not sure what it's called.

Also, on the subject of good food, we are about to get a Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ in Morrisville. I love that place, but there was never one close by.
I grew up with that pear and pineapple thing too in Texas, sometimes my mother would put cottage cheese on it instead of mayo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina