Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 AM

55 posts, read 76,028 times

Advertisements

WARNING: A straight-party vote in North Carolina includes every office except president. Please pass this along. The voting public needs to know. Again, a straight-party vote counter-intuitively does not include a vote for president. Voters must make a separate mark under the Presidential Contest box.

Remember what happened with the butterfly ballot in Florida? When just a couple of hundred votes (out of 5.8 million cast) separated George W. Bush and Al Gore?

The ballot design flaw disproportionately impacts three groups who are likely to be heavily represented in the election this year: new voters, the poor, and the elderly.

Early voting started a week ago, already there have been reports that people don't understand the ballot instructions.

If two percent or more of North Carolina voters unknowingly "skip" the presidential contest, it may very well have an impact on the outcome.

VotersUnite.org recommends that people in North Carolina avoid straight-party voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM

63 posts, read 86,262 times
Surely it will balance itself out. Or are you implying that one party's voters are not as smart as the others?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
This isn't a secret. It's been the law since 1967. The ballot says straight ticket voters need to make a separate vote for the president.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
The ballots instructions are clearly marked and if a person needs assistance they are allowed to have someone help them vote.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
I voted today in Durham. And 3 people (all poll workers/ volunteers) explained all this and gave me an extra piece of orange paper explaining the same thing. And THEN printed right there in black in white was the instructions AGAIN on the ballot.

Edit: I withdraw the rest of my rant.... it's unsympathetic. And the OP is right... this probably does impact the elderly and those who can't read.

But I do think Durham did an EXCELLENT job of explaining this. Kudos to the Durham poll workers and ALL poll workers. It's a thankless job.

Last edited by PDXmom; 10-27-2008 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: found my heart

Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
PDXmom, I had the same experience when I voted last week. The poll workers made it very clear that a straight party vote did not include the presidential race nor the non-partisan races (judges). They also told me that if I had any problems to just let them know. The poll workers in Durham seem to be doing a great job. Here's hoping that everyone else has a positive experience, too!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
When I voted in Buncombe County, the poll workers made this very very clear, and also handed me a slip of paper with my ballot that restated that the office of president must be voted for separately from straight party, and also that all the non-partisan races on the back must be voted for on a race by race basis.

If anyone fails to vote for president after this, then perhaps they are not bright enough to vote.

Talking to friends and family who voted at different times and different places, they all stated that the poll workers made this very very clear.

I guess kudos should also go out the Buncombe County Board of Elections in the training of their poll workers.

Nor do I think the straight party choice should be on the ballot. Not all states have the choice, and while I can't remember which states, I heard that two states removed the straight party choice this year.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
I early voted in Wayne County last week and the same there. It was fully and clearly explained.

The ballot design "flaw" only effects one group not three. That group is the "stupid".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: