U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,232,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
NC's fastest growing county is Union. SC's fastest growing county is York. These are both Charlotte metro counties. I think Raleigh is a great place to live and raise a family. These nice people from Portland were mostly interested in Raleigh because they thought that Raleigh was the "big city" in the state. That is why I highly recommend that they visit both Charlotte and Raleigh. Population figures (that only show Raleigh as being smaller than Charlotte) is not a good argument for Raleigh. Mecklenburg county's 900,000 people in 526 sq/mi of land is fairly larger than Wake county's 860,000 in 832 sq/mi of land. In other words, if Charlotte's county had an extra 306 sq/mi of land, its population would be well over a million. Again Metro.M, your best argument for Raleigh is to show Portlandshaws comparable urban areas in Raleigh to my Charlotte videos. Show them Raleigh's massive continueous dt neighborhoods. Show them Raleigh's dt arena and stadium. Show them Raleigh's 30 plus storey condo towers. Show them Raleigh's "big city feel" skyline. Show them a typical night out on Raleigh's light rail train. This is what the Portlandshaws would like to see and know about in Raleigh. I can't wait to see these videos of Raleigh myself!!!
You're rambling and cardboard box assertions of why people choose a city is very vague. No one chooses a city based on a county being little bit larger than the other, or 30 story condo towers. Is that all you can come up with? Charlotte has many things worth moving there for outside of pop stats, which aren't impressive by no means. Charlotte has beautiful lakes, bbq festival, and a low cost of living. Those are the things most people are concerned about. It's seems as though you want Charlotte to appear as something it isn't "A BIG CITY." Big city feel is much different than a place that's an actual big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Awesome Pics!!! Now here are some examples of what I would like you to show our guest.

YouTube - urban charlotte

I don't have any skyline videos of Charlotte yet. I would rather leave our visitors with a little surprise when they come. My guess is that you are doing the same with Raleigh's dt arena and light rail transit. How wonderful!!! Our guest will be so SURPRISED when they see these things in Raleigh in person!!! On a more serious note, I really think Virginia Beach is your city Portlandshaws.

As you all can see, asking a Triangle vs. Charlotte question exposes NC's silent rivalry. The Triangle is a great area!!! I honestly think you will be more impressed with Charlotte's "big city" feel than Raleigh. I understand your difficulty with deciding. If Charlotte was closer to DC than Raleigh, this would be an easy choice. That is why I brought up Virginia Beach. This area has a superior "big city" feel to Raleigh and is closer to DC. Nearby Norfolk is building light rail as I type BTW. They are actually the same model trains as you saw in Charlotte. It will be quite some time before Norfolk and Charlotte's level of "big city" feel comes to Raleigh I am afraid. Raleigh is a very suburban designed area of the Triangle, hence the name. Three towns make up a metro slightly smaller than the one town metro of Charlotte. This explains the lack of a "big city" feel in the Triangle towns. I would highly suggest that you make Raleigh your first stop on your NC tour. People who see Charlotte first generally are disappointed with Raleigh at first glance. At least if you see Raleigh first, you will go there with an open mind. As a result, you will give Raleigh a chance to impress you. If you visit Charlotte first, you might not be as forgiving with Raleigh. I speak from experience when I tell you to PLEASE VISIT Raleigh first. It is Raleigh's only chance at impressing you.

FYI, those awesome pics of the Triangle were taken in various locations across the Triangle. They all sit in a 15-20 mile radius of each other. In other words, you will be driving for well over an hour to see all of those photos in person (2-3 hours if traffic is bad). My videos of Charlotte were all taken within 3 miles of Charlotte's uptown with the exception of 1. That 1 was taken from 5 miles outside of Charlotte's uptown. You can see all of my videos in person in a 10-15 minute drive.
Are you serious?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:27 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,449,421 times
Thumbs down Busted

To the OP, my wife lived in VA beach, I don't think much of that area and if you are looking for job opportunities I like that area even less. I would visit NC and check our Raleigh and Charlotte.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-01-2008 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 11-02-2008, 04:36 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,672,162 times
MetroM, I appologize if my comments sound a bit harsh. I consider myself to be a very honest person. If you can recall, I warned "portlandshaws" that Charlotte and the Triangle both fall quite short of Portland's urbanity. I was blown away by what all I saw in Portland the first time I went there as a trucker. Thanks to my job, there isn't a minor nor major US metro that I haven't seen at least twice. "Portlandshaws" made it quite clear that they were interested in the "big city" of NC. That is why I showed them a video tour of Charlotte. Most people on various forums throughout the country (not just city data) are impressed with my videos of urban Charlotte. I am sorry that you saw "suburbs" (most people don't see suburbs LOL!!!), but I do appreciate you taking the time to watch!!! I am not trying to show that Charlotte is a big city (it will be in 15 to 20 years). That is why I place the words "big city" in quotes. Charlotte is however a midsized city with the typical "big city" feel that most midsized cities have. Raleigh is a small midsized city that lacks the typical "big city" feel that most others have. The layout of the Triangle has much to do with Raleigh's lack of a "big city" feel. The focus in the Triangle is shared by three to four towns. The wooded sprawling campuses of RTP is the area's business center. The focus in metro Charlotte is Charlotte. Charlotte's urban and skyscraper filled uptown is the business center of the area. This is why I called the Triangle a more suburban area than Charlotte. The Triangle simply lacks Charlotte's level of focus. I am not at all trying to belittle the Triangle. I am just educating our guest on the differences between Charlotte and the Triangle. These are the things our guest wanted to know. When "portlandshaws" see Charlotte and the Triangle in person, my hope is that they will view my comments as honest!!! They may very well choose to live in the Triangle, but they will know and understand that they did not pick NC's "big city". Contrary to what you may believe, several newcomers from NYC and DC have traveled 2 1/2 hours past Raleigh because of Charlotte's superior "big city" feel and image. Many of them are co-workers of mine. Quite a few of them are my neighbors.

On another topic, someone has requested some videos of Raleigh's night life. I would highly suggest that my friends in the Triangle get to work on filming Glenwood South pronto. The longer you guys wait; the longer people will question whether or not Raleigh even has a night life. I know Raleigh does in Glenwood South, but others wish to see it too!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'd like to see some Raleigh downtown videos on the weekends to see the nightlife as you can see in Charlotte.
I wish I had some Raleigh videos of the Glenwood South area of downtown Raleigh to show you. This is Raleigh's best and biggest party area!!! I have been trying for a little over a month now to get my forum friends in Raleigh to provide us with videos of urban Raleigh, but no one has stepped forward yet. I have however found a pretty cool youtube video of Raleigh's nightlife on my own. This is NOT my video, but I hope you enjoy it anyhow!!!

YouTube - Nightlife in Raleigh NC

This is why I like taking my own videos. I would have recorded the foot traffic and total vibe of the party area and not just one show like this person did. It was a really cool show however!!! I wish I would have seen it in person!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
MetroM, I appologize if my comments sound a bit harsh. I consider myself to be a very honest person. If you can recall, I warned "portlandshaws" that Charlotte and the Triangle both fall quite short of Portland's urbanity. I was blown away by what all I saw in Portland the first time I went there as a trucker. Thanks to my job, there isn't a minor nor major US metro that I haven't seen at least twice. "Portlandshaws" made it quite clear that they were interested in the "big city" of NC. That is why I showed them a video tour of Charlotte. Most people on various forums throughout the country (not just city data) are impressed with my videos of urban Charlotte. I am sorry that you saw "suburbs" (most people don't see suburbs LOL!!!), but I do appreciate you taking the time to watch!!! I am not trying to show that Charlotte is a big city (it will be in 15 to 20 years). That is why I place the words "big city" in quotes. Charlotte is however a midsized city with the typical "big city" feel that most midsized cities have. Raleigh is a small midsized city that lacks the typical "big city" feel that most others have. The layout of the Triangle has much to do with Raleigh's lack of a "big city" feel. The focus in the Triangle is shared by three to four towns. The wooded sprawling campuses of RTP is the area's business center. The focus in metro Charlotte is Charlotte. Charlotte's urban and skyscraper filled uptown is the business center of the area. This is why I called the Triangle a more suburban area than Charlotte. The Triangle simply lacks Charlotte's level of focus. I am not at all trying to belittle the Triangle. I am just educating our guest on the differences between Charlotte and the Triangle. These are the things our guest wanted to know. When "portlandshaws" see Charlotte and the Triangle in person, my hope is that they will view my comments as honest!!! They may very well choose to live in the Triangle, but they will know and understand that they did not pick NC's "big city". Contrary to what you may believe, several newcomers from NYC and DC have traveled 2 1/2 hours past Raleigh because of Charlotte's superior "big city" feel and image. Many of them are co-workers of mine. Quite a few of them are my neighbors.

On another topic, someone has requested some videos of Raleigh's night life. I would highly suggest that my friends in the Triangle get to work on filming Glenwood South pronto. The longer you guys wait; the longer people will question whether or not Raleigh even has a night life. I know Raleigh does in Glenwood South, but others wish to see it too!!!
You do realize folks from NYC and DC, move to Raleigh right? I'm from DC what does that have to say? People from those areas also live in rural areas as well. Trust me moving to CLT or Raleigh from DC is like moving to a small town.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
You do realize folks from NYC and DC, move to Raleigh right? I'm from DC what does that have to say? People from those areas also live in rural areas as well. Trust me moving to CLT or Raleigh from DC is like moving to a small town.
I am a native of the Flushing/Northern Blvd area of Queens. DC is a sprawling campus to compare to my native land, but that is not the argument here. These people are comparing Charlotte and Raleigh. I know that people like yourself are in Raleigh. There are also people like yourself that felt the need to bypass Raleigh by about 2 1/2 hours for Charlotte's superior "big city" feel. Many have bypassed Charlotte and Raleigh for Atlanta. These are the facts and not my opinions. You are having a hard time accepting reality. If you are happy with your decision to stay in Raleigh, be happy!!! Just know that there are thousands of others from my native land and yours that did not feel as though Raleigh was "big city" enough for them. These are the choice people that did not relocate to the south because of a job. Many of these "choice people" who wish to have a "big city" feel will choose Atlanta over Charlotte, and Charlotte over Raleigh almost everytime. This is not a "put down" to Raleigh nor Charlotte by no means. It just shows that these cities do offer a different "taste".

Just a little more about me. I was raised in Charlotte. My mother spent most of her young adulthood in East Orange, NJ. She was one of those "choice" people that chose Charlotte because Atlanta was too far south for her. I was a toddler when I came to Charlotte. I have visited family quite a few times in both DC and NYC. I have also seen the entire lower 48 thanks to my career as a trucker. One of my former company's terminals happens to be in Portland. I would stop there on my way to Everett, WA to pick up a load of paper towels. At any rate, don't waste your time trying to educate me on the Triangle and Raleigh. I partied in Raleigh when I was in college and I have also delivered freight there many of times. I have attended Raleigh's New Year's acorn drop twice!!! I may be a new member to Citydata, but there is little a DC native can teach me about Raleigh and the Triangle. Questioning my knowledge of Raleigh is not going to get you anywhere my friend. Your best argument is to grab your digital camera, and SHOW THESE FINE FOLKS RALEIGH!!! This is the ONLY thing they wish to see. They are not interested in our little argument that I am trying to avoid at all cost. I will continue to show urban Charlotte to anyone who wishes to see it. If you wish to call it "suburban" or "same as what I see in Raleigh", then I would encourage you to prove it with video of Raleigh. We can both do that without exchanging another word to each other. I hate to sound rude, but I don't wish to speak with people who are not realistic about the town or area they live in. That is why I film Charlotte. The camera can not lie!!! One more thing, LA, Houston, NYC, DC, Atlanta, Toronto and several other forum (not city data) areas have seen my videos now. I only get negative feed back from Raleighites. All of these negative Raleighites claim to be from larger cities. Little do they realize that I have already shown my videos to those larger cities that they claim to be from. Those cities have given me and urban Charlotte two thumbs up on the "new looking" urban progress going on in Charlotte. I want the Portlandshaws and anyone else out there to know that SOME die hard Raleigh backers hate Charlotte with a passion. It is envy in the worst form. I wish sometimes that these two towns were in separate states because the two WOULD NEVER BE COMPARED if they were!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-02-2008 at 06:32 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I am a native of the Flushing/Northern Blvd area of Queens. DC is a sprawling campus to compare to my native land, but that is not the argument here. These people are comparing Charlotte and Raleigh. I know that people like yourself are in Raleigh. There are also people like yourself that felt the need to bypass Raleigh by about 2 1/2 hours for Charlotte's superior "big city" feel. Many have bypassed Charlotte and Raleigh for Atlanta. These are the facts and not my opinions. You are having a hard time accepting reality. If you are happy with your decision to stay in Raleigh, be happy!!! Just know that there are thousands of others from my native land and yours that did not feel as though Raleigh was "big city" enough for them. These are the choice people that did not relocate to the south because of a job. Many of these "choice people" who wish to have a "big city" feel will choose Atlanta over Charlotte, and Charlotte over Raleigh almost everytime. This is not a "put down" to Raleigh nor Charlotte by no means. It just shows that these cities do offer a different "taste".

Just a little more about me. I was raised in Charlotte. My mother spent most of her young adulthood in East Orange, NJ. She was one of those "choice" people that chose Charlotte because Atlanta was too far south for her. I was a toddler when I came to Charlotte. I have visited family quite a few times in both DC and NYC. I have also seen the entire lower 48 thank to my career as a trucker. One of my former company's terminals happens to be in Portland. I would stop there on my way to Everitt WA to pick up a load of paper towels. At any rate, don't waste your time trying to educate me on the Triangle and Raleigh. I partied in Raleigh when I was in college and I have also delivered freight there many of times. I have attended Raleigh's New Year's acorn drop twice!!! I may be a new member to Citydata, but there is little a DC native can teach me about Raleigh and the Triangle. Questioning my knowledge of Raleigh is not going to get you anywhere my friend. Your best argument is to grab your digital camera, and SHOW THESE FINE FOLKS RALEIGH!!! This is the ONLY thing they wish to see. They are not interested in our little argument that I am trying to avoid at all cost. I will continue to show them Charlotte. I encourage you to show them Raleigh. We can both do that without exchanging another word to each other. I hate to sound rude, but I don't wish to speak with people who are not realistic about the town or area they live in. That is why I film Charlotte. The camera can not lie!!!
These aren't sports teams or drag races. These are cities. Do you not understand? According to your logic, the Triangle shouldn't have growth at all. Most people move south period for the low cost of living, and slow paced atmosphere. If you think someone from a truly large city is moving here to find a "big city", you're sorely mistaken. Neither Raleigh or Charlotte are known for being urban or "big cities." They're known for being cheap with a decent job atmosphere, mostly suburban, and are good places to raise kids. There are many times when I go to Charlotte and Uptown is completely dead, do I hold that against Charlotte? Absolutely not. I recognize Charlotte for what it is. A decent clean city with convenience, without all of the chaos of real big cities. It has a nice slow pace that many northerners long for. Atlanta also falls into those categories as well. However recently Atlanta is accumulating many of the negatives large cities have, hence the sudden influx of Atlanta transplants to NC.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
These aren't sports teams or drag races. These are cities. Do you not understand? According to your logic, the Triangle shouldn't have growth at all. Most people move south period for the low cost of living, and slow paced atmosphere. If you think someone from a truly large city is moving here to find a "big city", you're sorely mistaken. Neither Raleigh or Charlotte are known for being urban or "big cities." They're known for being cheap with a decent job atmosphere, mostly suburban, and are good places to raise kids. There are many times when I go to Charlotte and Uptown is completely dead, do I hold that against Charlotte? Absolutely not. I recognize Charlotte for what it is. A decent clean city with convenience, without all of the chaos of real big cities. It has a nice slow pace that many northerners long for. Atlanta also falls into those categories as well. However recently Atlanta is accumulating many of the negatives large cities have, hence the sudden influx of Atlanta transplants to NC.
You don't know my friend or you just don't want to know why thousands are in Charlotte from the north after bypassing Raleigh. You have given an accurate account for some of these transplants, but you are not aware of the "Next Atlanta" factor. That is a big draw for many Charlotte newcomers. They are noticing that Charlotte is going to be the next "big city" or "Atlanta" in the south. This is a big factor in Charlotte's growth. These are the type of newcomers that are bypassing Raleigh. I am aware that many pass up Charlotte because of schools and crime. Many pass up Raleigh because of the lack of a "big city" or "next Atlanta" feel. I am not giving you my opinions my friend; these are the facts. You are still having a hard time facing the facts. My vision is quite clear. I think yours is a little blinded by civic pride. This is the last time I will say this. RECORD RALEIGH FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE MAN!!! It is just that simple. I am well aware of how some of our friends in the Triangle view Charlotte. That is why I have VIDEOS of Charlotte. This way, when a Triangle area poster like yourself comes along with that same old "Raleigh is just like Charlotte" argument and a bunch of boring census figures (like you have provided) I can post links like the following to put an end to the arguments. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7uOU2L-OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ycnuFbO0kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61sa...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3bn1w7xYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0V4xIovZ8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHZM75F9cU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VbTzBa1tqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxWhZwwD4U

Here is the page for all of my Urban Charlotte videos again for those of you who are interested!!! Enjoy!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/urbancharlotte

Might I add, your arguments are all based on the assumption that all newcomers to Charlotte and Raleigh are from more expensive and urban areas of the country. This is wrong my friend. LA, Alaska, and Sao Paulo, Brazil are places that people migrate from enroute to Charlotte. The same holds true for Raleigh. This still doesn't suggest that Raleigh and Charlotte offer the same "taste". If Charlotte was in Ohio, Charlotte would NEVER be compared to Raleigh. These towns share a state, hence the comparison. When it comes to "feel" and "layout" the Triangle's in state twin is the Triad. Let's not forget that the Triad used to be NC's largest metro. The Triangle only became larger than the Triad less than 5 years ago. The Triad is by far the Triangle's closest comparison in NC. Greensboro does have a major water park however. This is a "fun" factor that the Triangle still lacks.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-02-2008 at 08:00 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
You don't know my friend or you just don't want to know why thousands are in Charlotte from the north after bypassing Raleigh. You have given an accurate account for some of these transplants, but you are not aware of the "Next Atlanta" factor. That is a big draw for many Charlotte newcomers. They are noticing that Charlotte is going to be the next "big city" or "Atlanta" in the south. This is a big factor in Charlotte's growth. These are the type of newcomers that are bypassing Raleigh. I am aware that many pass up Charlotte because of schools and crime. Many pass up Raleigh because of the lack of a "big city" or "next Atlanta" feel. I am not giving you my opinions my friend; these are the facts. You are still having a hard time facing the facts. My vision is quite clear. I think yours is a little blinded by civic pride. This is the last time I will say this. RECORD RALEIGH FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE MAN!!! It is just that simple. I am well aware of how some of our friends in the Triangle view Charlotte. That is why I have VIDEOS of Charlotte. This way, when a Triangle area poster like yourself comes along with that same old "Raleigh is just like Charlotte" argument and a bunch of boring census figures (like you have provided) I can post links like the following to put an end to the arguments. Enjoy!!!

Here is the page for all of my Urban Charlotte videos again for those of you who are interested!!! Enjoy!!!
YouTube - urbancharlotte's Channel

Might I add, your arguments are all based on the assumption that all newcomers to Charlotte and Raleigh are from more expensive and urban areas of the country. This is wrong my friend. LA, Alaska, and Sao Paulo, Brazil are places that people migrate from enroute to Charlotte. The same holds true for Raleigh. This still doesn't suggest that Raleigh and Charlotte offer the same "taste". If Charlotte was in Ohio, Charlotte would NEVER be compared to Raleigh. These towns share a state, hence the comparison. When it comes to "feel" and "layout" the Triangle's in state twin is the Triad. Let's not forget that the Triad used to be NC's largest metro. The Triangle only became larger than the Triad less than 5 years ago. The Triad is by far the Triangle's closest comparison in NC. Greensboro does have a major water park however. This is a "fun" factor that the Triangle still lacks.
Nevermind. You seem to just want to harass the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina