Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,892,143 times

Advertisements

I am on my HOA's board. My outlook when serving on my board is this: As with anything in life, it is about moderation when making community rules.

Sorry folks, but clotheslines are tacky. They just are. We had one as a kid in a fenced backyard. But what about yards with no fence to hide the undershirts blowing in the wind? Parking on the grass causes damage that is an eyesore. Do I want to see trashcans strewn about my neighborhood? No. Is it appropriate for people to have appliances, furniture, and various junk in their yards? No. This is what HOAs are supposed to do: facilitate beauty in the neighborhood that boosts all of our home values and quality of life. Without these rules, you may wake up one day to be greeted by a Kenmore on the lawn next door when you go out to fetch you morning paper.

As far as dues, I have had my eyes opened while serving on my board as to the cost of upkeep in a medium to large sized neighborhood. Our management company certainly does not waste money or raise dues willy-nilly.

I totally understand that there are many people who prefer not to live in a neighborhood with regualtions....that is your choice. As for me, I looked at a few areas in Charlotte where there was no HOA and the neighborhoods were not pretty. You'd see one cute house and three doors down would be a weedy, unkept lawn and property. No thanks. I enjoy walking through my neighborhood and not having to look at people's trash, junk, laundry, and vehicles.

To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 12:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,421,963 times
I may have to ask the wife what color I should paint the house, or what type of shrub to plant in the yard, but I'll be damn if I will ever have to seek approval from a committee of neighbors.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM

698 posts, read 3,256,099 times
We also HATE HOA'S.If we ever get out of this one,we will NEVER live in another one!They're not worth it!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,070,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I am on my HOA's board. My outlook when serving on my board is this: As with anything in life, it is about moderation when making community rules.

Sorry folks, but clotheslines are tacky. They just are. We had one as a kid in a fenced backyard. But what about yards with no fence to hide the undershirts blowing in the wind? Parking on the grass causes damage that is an eyesore. Do I want to see trashcans strewn about my neighborhood? No. Is it appropriate for people to have appliances, furniture, and various junk in their yards? No. This is what HOAs are supposed to do: facilitate beauty in the neighborhood that boosts all of our home values and quality of life.

It seems these HOAs are a thinly veiled attempt to keep the riff-raff out and the "untackies" protected and the rebel in me would tolerate it for a nano-second. I live in an area of NY that HOAs have not becoem the norm and my neighborhood is comprised of a large span of young families to retirees who all take great pride in their yards etc. I have yet to see any appliances or strewn about trashcans and actually, we all enjoy swapping yard updates with each other as it seems someone is always adding a new walkway or garden area or patio.....I do have my tacky clothes line but our lots are upwards to 2 acres so if your are offended by my flapping teeshirts, that means you're well into my property and that's too bad Just make sure you don't walk too closely or the whipping sheet may entangle you !!!!! LOL

Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
It seems these HOA are a thinly veiled attempt to keep the riff-raff out and the "untackies" protected and the rebel in me would tolerate it for a nano-second. I live in an area of NY that HOAs have not becoem the norm and my neighborhood is comprised of a large span of young families to retirees who all take great pride in their yards etc. I have yet to see any appliances or strewn trashcans about and actually, we all swap yard uodates with each other as it seems one or more are always adding/upgrading something......but I do have my tacky clothes line but our lots are upwards to 2 acres so if your are offended by my flapping teeshirts, that means you're well into my property and that's too bad Just make sure you don't walk too closely or the whipping sheet may entangle youLOL

My goodness, with so much going on in the world, to be bothered by people's backyard business (again, aside from the obvious eyesores)......sigh......
The bolded area is key. And anyone who actually lives in Charlotte will tell you that the lots here are small, people practically live on top of each other, and you can see everything in another person's yard, with a fence or without! So don't live with an HOA where you are, that is your choice. But here, even common items like peeling exterior paint, weedy lawns, trash cans in the street days after pick up, etc are all issues that I thank God I don't have to stare at or confront my neighbors about (which can be awkward). That's what a committee is for!

And a home is one's biggest investment. Thus, my neighbor's "backyard business" can adversely affect my property values so yes, I do see it as an issue that warrants my attention.

Again, to each their own.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The bolded area is key. And anyone who actually lives in Charlotte will tell you that the lots here are small, people practically live on top of each other, and you can see everything in another person's yard, with a fence or without! So don't live with an HOA where you are, that is your choice. But here, even common items like peeling exterior paint, weedy lawns, trash cans in the street days after pick up, etc are all issues that I thank God I don't have to stare at or confront my neighbors about (which can be awkward). That's what a committee is for!

And a home is one's biggest investment. Thus, my neighbor's "backyard business" can adversely affect my property values so yes, I do see it as an issue that warrants my attention.

"And never the twain shall meet" lol

Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,421,963 times
Quote:

On a much smaller scale, this reminds me of a quote by Benjamin Franklin;
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
On a much smaller scale, this reminds me of a quote by Benjamin Franklin;
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Asheville,
Ah yes, Mr. Franklin, his genius was for all the ages was it not?

Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,151,692 times
Quote:
Sorry folks, but clotheslines are tacky. They just are.
Maybe they are but they are ALSO environmentally friendly. running a dryer uses electricity (or gas) that has to be generated somehow. And with the cost of stuff going sky high, saving money anywhere you can makes sense.

PLUS clothesline dried clothes smell better. Liz

Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Maybe they are but they are ALSO environmentally friendly. running a dryer uses electricity (or gas) that has to be generated somehow. And with the cost of stuff going sky high, saving money anywhere you can makes sense. PLUS clothesline dried clothes smell better. Liz

Clothes lines will be in vogue when they make it on the lastest trends list as one of the top ten ways for a "with it" family to "Go Green" (as in environmental). I'll always remember a photo I saw of Kate Hepburn hanging her own sheets at her home on either Martha's Vineyard or Cape Cod...high society girl gone Hollywood famous and she knew the simple joy of a sun and breeze dryed basket of laundry....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina