U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 12,426 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move to NC in the next few years. I am from the NY metro area and hate it, hate it, hate it. I am so not a New Yorker/Jerseyite. I lived in rural PA for 13 years and loved it - except the cold and the snow. People were nice, friendly, didn't drive like animals, said hello, weren't rude, pushy, obnoxious and demanding like they are here. Sorry to all you New Yorkers/New Jerseyans but I was born and raised here and got out the first chance I could never regretting it for a minute. I am forced back here due to unforseen circumstances and find that nothing has changed. I want to live somewhere where you can smile and say hello to someone and not get looked at like you are a murderer. I need someplace more relaxed where I can spend lots of time outside and gardening. Schools are not an issue as all my kids are out of or almost out of high school but being near a dance studio with adult classes might be nice. The heat is not an issue - it's a tradeoff. You can live with your ac on and be in sunny weather or hide in your heated stuffy house 6 months out of the year. I can't handle the rat race and everyone always in a hurry and the inconsiderateness and never thinking of anyone else that goes on here. Don't know where to start looking - which areas, where to find info...i know - i am rambling. any advice would be appreciated. Desperately seeking peace, quiet, manners and serenity. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM

45,120 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieqn814 View Post
I am seriously considering a move to NC in the next few years. I am from the NY metro area and hate it, hate it, hate it. I am so not a New Yorker/Jerseyite. I lived in rural PA for 13 years and loved it - except the cold and the snow. People were nice, friendly, didn't drive like animals, said hello, weren't rude, pushy, obnoxious and demanding like they are here. Sorry to all you New Yorkers/New Jerseyans but I was born and raised here and got out the first chance I could never regretting it for a minute. I am forced back here due to unforseen circumstances and find that nothing has changed. I want to live somewhere where you can smile and say hello to someone and not get looked at like you are a murderer. I need someplace more relaxed where I can spend lots of time outside and gardening. Schools are not an issue as all my kids are out of or almost out of high school but being near a dance studio with adult classes might be nice. The heat is not an issue - it's a tradeoff. You can live with your ac on and be in sunny weather or hide in your heated stuffy house 6 months out of the year. I can't handle the rat race and everyone always in a hurry and the inconsiderateness and never thinking of anyone else that goes on here. Don't know where to start looking - which areas, where to find info...i know - i am rambling. any advice would be appreciated. Desperately seeking peace, quiet, manners and serenity. Thanks.

Can I make a suggestion? Check out the Virginia board. I believe the Roanoke area may be just what you are looking for.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,426 times
Default thanks

thanks for your help. i'll check it out.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 AM

156 posts, read 379,790 times
Quote:
I live in South Durham and my next door neighbor is a single white female from NYC, prob late 20's...She teaches and is going for her MAsters at UNC...She's been here since December and she loves it here...

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM

699 posts, read 1,787,340 times
Any of the major cities in N.C. are fine places to live...Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington...depends on if you want mountains, ocean, or in between, and how much do urban amenities mean to you? Do you see yourself in a suburb or medium-sized, larger, or smaller city? or a small town that is a short drive to the city? N.C. has it all...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,426 times
Quote:
I am a local in Murphy NC. Good luck, so many people are relocating here especially from Florida the innocence of serenity is gone.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 13,811 times
Default I'm right wit ya on that

I concur. See my posting:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-post-see.html

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM

67 posts, read 7,085 times
Hi, my family and I recently moved to the Charlotte area from New Jersey, I am originally from NY (Brooklyn). We love it down here and would never move back. You have a true 4 season's to enjoy the summer is hot but it's hot all over, the winter can get cold but nothing like up North and overall you still can enjoy most days outside without having to run from the frostbit nipping at your nose from the short walk from the car to your house! Good lukc in your search...

Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM

57 posts, read 113,895 times
Default stay out

hey they just lost the key and you can't get in to NC sorry!!!

just kiding don't wait get your butt down here asap. you will be sorry if you don't!! in a few years the values in real estate will be equal and you will have missed the boat. Hickoy,Statesville,Stanley,Maiden) these are realy good areas to look in.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

62 posts, read 232,295 times
Default swacko

swacko's post is absolutely on target. I moved to a rural area of NC from a large southern metro area and could not be happier. However, unless you are retired or don't need to work for a living, you likely will need to first go toward the areas that will be able to employ you.
Swacko is right though. Don't wait too long. Prices are going up, up, up. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina