Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 PM

143 posts, read 483,759 times

Advertisements

I drive a Saab 93. I do find it entertaining that a lot of locals have not seen a Saab automobile in a LONG time but tend to appreciate it when I say:

"200 HP, 28 MPG." Lots of folks here are more attuned with their cars than Northerners. I do not get derisive remarks (not to my face, anyway) -- especially when I mention those specs.

I am considering going to a Miata rather than a 93 convertible because there seem to be many more Mazdas here than Saabs.

I do particularly like when I have to pull out quickly with DW's car: 2001 Mercury Sable wagon with 24V V6 (also 200 HP). Tauri and Sables get no respect but the 200 HP motor makes believers out of some.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:09 PM

195 posts, read 215,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmyers
got a good one too...
New Mustang sitting next to me at a traffic light revving his engine, I'm in my husband's 2006 GTO (happens all the time). Oh please.... he takes off like a bat outta ....! I take off at a normal speed laughing my head off! I won't bother wearing out my husband's clutch for just a mustang! Give me a Farari to go up against!

Laughing!

Old 06-10-2006, 07:22 PM

192 posts, read 652,739 times
Quote:
On another note. I sure notice more NC people complain on here than the SC side. Why is that? Rule of thumb will tell you that it's lake of jobs, marriage problems, income issues. People that don't complain have to many other things to worry about and are to tired from their jobs. I just find it interesting
You've got it all figured out it seems! Good Gravy! That's some of the most ridiculous junk I've ever heard! All of those comments are more than a little offensive to NC natives on this forum...

I'm not up to speed on the SC forum, but I do know that NC is experiencing a much higher influx of transplants vs SC... and all the good & bad that comes with a mass influx! That would be my obvious guess as to why you might have more NC'er's complaining than SC'ers. And that would be reinforced by about a zillion threads here. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone couldn't pick up on that as the obvious source for the complaints.

As far as your "rule of thumb" comments explaining why you personally think NC'ers are big complainers....Whew! Wow! That's unreal that you think that's why natives here complain... lack "of jobs, marriage problems, income issues" & "People that don't complain have to many other things to worry about and are to tired from their jobs". Absolutely unreal explaination to me. I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,799,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmyers
got a good one too...
New Mustang sitting next to me at a traffic light revving his engine, I'm in my husband's 2006 GTO (happens all the time). Oh please.... he takes off like a bat outta ....! I take off at a normal speed laughing my head off! I won't bother wearing out my husband's clutch for just a mustang! Give me a Farari to go up against!
At least it was a Stang, I hate those rice burners! My hubby was sitting at a light and a brand new Porsch, no plates yet pulls up next to him (he's in the 69 Camaro) and this guys reving his engine the light turned green and hubby took off in the Camaro and beat the pants off of him! The guy was PO'd to say the least. So same thing at the next light, revving his engine and hubby left him in the dust. The Porsch would have eventually caught up but the Camaro is quicker in the take off. Hubby came home with a HUGE grin.

Some guy getting off the same freeway off ramp the other day had one of those rice burner mufflers on a 4 door Saturn! It was funny.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,799,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
I drive a Saab 93. I do find it entertaining that a lot of locals have not seen a Saab automobile in a LONG time but tend to appreciate it when I say:

"200 HP, 28 MPG." Lots of folks here are more attuned with their cars than Northerners. I do not get derisive remarks (not to my face, anyway) -- especially when I mention those specs.

I am considering going to a Miata rather than a 93 convertible because there seem to be many more Mazdas here than Saabs.

I do particularly like when I have to pull out quickly with DW's car: 2001 Mercury Sable wagon with 24V V6 (also 200 HP). Tauri and Sables get no respect but the 200 HP motor makes believers out of some.
My bro in law drives a Saab and he is also a Steve W! We have a diesel Jetta and I get 45-47 MPG and hubby took a long drive and he got 50 MPG.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
You've got it all figured out it seems! Good Gravy! That's some of the most ridiculous junk I've ever heard! All of those comments are more than a little offensive to NC natives on this forum...

I'm not up to speed on the SC forum, but I do know that NC is experiencing a much higher influx of transplants vs SC... and all the good & bad that comes with a mass influx! That would be my obvious guess as to why you might have more NC'er's complaining than SC'ers. And that would be reinforced by about a zillion threads here. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone couldn't pick up on that as the obvious source for the complaints.

As far as your "rule of thumb" comments explaining why you personally think NC'ers are big complainers....Whew! Wow! That's unreal that you think that's why natives here complain... lack "of jobs, marriage problems, income issues" & "People that don't complain have to many other things to worry about and are to tired from their jobs". Absolutely unreal explaination to me. I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.
I hope we get to meet some day

Last edited by Bound4NC; 06-11-2006 at 01:32 AM..

Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
At least it was a Stang, I hate those rice burners! My hubby was sitting at a light and a brand new Porsch, no plates yet pulls up next to him (he's in the 69 Camaro) and this guys reving his engine the light turned green and hubby took off in the Camaro and beat the pants off of him! The guy was PO'd to say the least. So same thing at the next light, revving his engine and hubby left him in the dust. The Porsch would have eventually caught up but the Camaro is quicker in the take off. Hubby came home with a HUGE grin.

Some guy getting off the same freeway off ramp the other day had one of those rice burner mufflers on a 4 door Saturn! It was funny.

I saw a '69 take a Vette before too! Off the line, they will

Old 06-11-2006, 02:04 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,009,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
DOn't get me wrong. I agree. No tresspassing is no tresspassing. We agree on that. It's the people that feel they should be outlawed I disagree with.
Ditto

They make good work vehicles around here, and for the most part, people are tolerant. But those who keep them as weekend toys need to avail themselves of the information about clubs and designated trails. We have neighbors who strung thick cable across their land, painting it flourescent orange, but I'm just waiting for some of the trespassers who like to ride thru the woods at night to come around. This is a decapitation waiting to happen.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:08 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,009,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
BTW, noting the Harley comments: THis was one of my PET PEEVES in MA: NO enforcement of muffler laws. Harleys with open pipes running past my house in NE Mass at 3 AM or whenever.
The Harley poobahs have taken note of the backlash against loud pipes, saying in one article:
"This is the second stage of Harley-Davidson's campaign against loud exhaust pipes. Its initial effort last year was directed at and through dealers, with posters and literature that attempted to educate dealers and riders about the negative consequences of loud pipes. Harley-Davidson spokesman Paul James also told Motorcycle Cruiser that during the next few months Harley will cease shipments to dealers of racing exhaust systems that can be fitted to street models. We could no longer find any racing exhaust systems listed on the company's accessory website. However, Harley-Davidson still offers dozens of accessory exhaust systems that are street-legal (and therefore acceptably quiet), including for use in California."

Old 06-11-2006, 05:53 AM

13 posts, read 31,355 times
my kids race dirt bikes so they are not running them on peoples land we go to the very few places left where some developer has not built houses and try to ride. just saying that some people as soon as you start the bike up theres a knock on the door the yard we have now is good size for a small track but they don't ride in the yard seems alot of people forgot what it's like to be a kidi'm just saying around here there is nowher to have a pickup game of football hockey soccer without the kids getting hassled by someone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina