U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:08 AM

787 posts, read 3,317,238 times

Advertisements

It is illegal to ride those ATV on the road without a driver's license. And they will bust you for it. Thankfully we have a lot of trails behind the area I live in where they can ride to their little heart's content without driving the rest of us crazy. The thing that worries me about that is someone getting hurt and being trapped back there for hours. The immediate area including other counties have had a lot of ATV accidents and some deaths among young people and some older people that thought they were still young. a 14" monitor huh? They still make them?

Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 AM

195 posts, read 167,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
It is illegal to ride those ATV on the road without a driver's license. And they will bust you for it. Thankfully we have a lot of trails behind the area I live in where they can ride to their little heart's content without driving the rest of us crazy. The thing that worries me about that is someone getting hurt and being trapped back there for hours. The immediate area including other counties have had a lot of ATV accidents and some deaths among young people and some older people that thought they were still young.
The youngest that can ride I thought was 12yr? They don't have a license. Anyone else want to comment on age allowed?

UPDATE: I am correct. 12 yrs old is the min age. No driver license is needed.
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...teReq_0803.pdf

Last edited by Bound4NC; 06-11-2006 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-11-2006, 09:23 AM

I didn't say you couldn't ride it at 12. I said you couldn't ride it on a public road without a driver's license. Put a 12 year old on one and put him crossing the road while driving it and it will cost you. He can get off of it and push it across the road to get to a trail. There is a moped and a bicycle that you can ride on the public roads without a driver's license although I am not sure of the age requirement for a motorized moped.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I didn't say you couldn't ride it at 12. I said you couldn't ride it on a public road without a driver's license. Put a 12 year old on one and put him crossing the road while driving it and it will cost you. He can get off of it and push it across the road to get to a trail. There is a moped and a bicycle that you can ride on the public roads without a driver's license although I am not sure of the age requirement for a motorized moped.
You weren't clear in your post. I remember reading about that. Saying it more dangerous to push a 300lb quad across a road then ride it. In a town of 3,000 how many deputy's are there covering how many sq miles? I would hope they would have more on their mind that a minor infraction.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:41 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is illegal to ride those ATV on the road without a driver's license."

This is my original post. I guess you were confused by the phrase "on the road". But I called the sheriff's department and I quote,

"It is illegal period, driver's license notwithstanding to drive an ATV on a North Carolina public road irregardless of the age of the driver."

Any other words so there is no misunderstanding, you can't drive an ATV on anything that is paved, maintained by the state, has street signs, road signs or otherwise is known as a North Carolina paved road hence the phrase "on the road."

You can contact the Greene County Sheriff's Department at 252-747-3411.
In North Carolina you are going to find that a lot of people talk just like I do. They tend to omit words that you apparently need for clarification. Just out of curiosity what does the phrase "on the road" mean to you?

As for the amount of deputies around here, I would guess there is about 15. Let something go wrong around here and you can bet you will be treated to everyone of them that is on duty including the ambulance and fire truck whether you need it or not.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:55 AM

192 posts, read 591,928 times
Senate Bill 189 passed in Aug 2005 & went into effect DEC 2005, in NC...Here's the press release from the governor's office...was all over the papers here:

Michael F. Easley
Governor
Carmen Hooker Odom
Secretary

North Carolina
Department of Health and Human Services
For Release: IMMEDIATE
Date: November 29, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New ATV Safety Law Goes Into Effect December 1
RALEIGH – Children will be protected thanks to new all-terrain vehicle regulations that go into effect December 1, 2005. The regulations prohibit young children from operating ATVs, older children are allowed to operate only smaller machines under adult supervision, and all operators must wear helmets.

“Since 2000, 36 North Carolina children under the age of 16 died in all-terrain vehicle accidents,” said State Health Director Dr. Leah Devlin. “This law should go a long way toward reducing that tragic toll.”

“It is particularly important that parents are aware of the law this time of year, when they may be considering buying an ATV as a holiday present for their child,” said Tom Vitaglione, co-chair of the N.C. Child Fatality Task Force and a fellow of the Child Advocacy Institute. “While the law is specially designed to save children’s lives, this can only be done with the cooperation and vigilance of parents, who must assure children operate ATVs safely at all times.”

Provisions of the law include:

Children under 8 cannot operate ATVs.
Children ages 8-11 may operate only ATVs with an engine displacement less than 70 cubic centimeters.
Children ages 12-15 may operate only ATVs with engine displacement of 90 cubic centimeters or less.
• Children ages 8-15 may operate an ATV only under the continuous visual supervision of a person 18 years of age or older.
All operators, including adults, must wear helmets and face protection.
ATV operators cannot carry passengers, unless the machine is specifically designed for passengers. .
ATVs cannot be operated on public streets, roads or highways, except for purposes of crossing.
Beginning October 1, 2006, all ATV operators born on or after January 1, 1990 must have a safety certificate showing that he/she has successfully completed an ATV safety course sponsored or approved by the All-Terrain Safety Institute.
Violators of the law may receive finds up to $200. If the ATV is used for farm purposes, hunting or trapping, then the law does not apply.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Lucky, are you ready for all the rain that you will probably get off of Tropical Storm Alberto?

Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:

"It is illegal to ride those ATV on the road without a driver's license."

This is my original post. I guess you were confused by the phrase "on the road". But I called the sheriff's department and I quote,

"It is illegal period, driver's license notwithstanding to drive an ATV on a North Carolina public road irregardless of the age of the driver."

Any other words so there is no misunderstanding, you can't drive an ATV on anything that is paved, maintained by the state, has street signs, road signs or otherwise is known as a North Carolina paved road hence the phrase "on the road."

You can contact the Greene County Sheriff's Department at 252-747-3411.
In North Carolina you are going to find that a lot of people talk just like I do. They tend to omit words that you apparently need for clarification. Just out of curiosity what does the phrase "on the road" mean to you?

As for the amount of deputies around here, I would guess there is about 15. Let something go wrong around here and you can bet you will be treated to everyone of them that is on duty including the ambulance and fire truck whether you need it or not.
Where I live, a road can mean a dirt "ROAD" with no signs, no speed limit, nothing.
Let me first say both my parents worked for the Sheriff's dept. So when I ask "are things that slow" or are you just saying all the dept shows up for those things as a "phrase"? I have personally never heard of that before. So, I have to assume your stretching it a little.
Have you had the Sheriff's dept at your house before, or how do you know they will "all" show up if something goes wrong"?

Oh since you either woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or your always this way (hummmm) I figured I would educate you on the definition of "road"
"A place where one may ride; an open way or public passage for vehicles, persons, and animals; a track for travel, forming a means of communication between one city, town, or place, and another."

Last edited by Bound4NC; 06-11-2006 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-11-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
Senate Bill 189 passed in Aug 2005 & went into effect DEC 2005, in NC...Here's the press release from the governor's office...was all over the papers here:

Michael F. Easley
Governor
Carmen Hooker Odom
Secretary

North Carolina
Department of Health and Human Services
For Release: IMMEDIATE
Date: November 29, 2005

New ATV Safety Law Goes Into Effect December 1
RALEIGH – Children will be protected thanks to new all-terrain vehicle regulations that go into effect December 1, 2005. The regulations prohibit young children from operating ATVs, older children are allowed to operate only smaller machines under adult supervision, and all operators must wear helmets.

“Since 2000, 36 North Carolina children under the age of 16 died in all-terrain vehicle accidents,” said State Health Director Dr. Leah Devlin. “This law should go a long way toward reducing that tragic toll.”

“It is particularly important that parents are aware of the law this time of year, when they may be considering buying an ATV as a holiday present for their child,” said Tom Vitaglione, co-chair of the N.C. Child Fatality Task Force and a fellow of the Child Advocacy Institute. “While the law is specially designed to save children’s lives, this can only be done with the cooperation and vigilance of parents, who must assure children operate ATVs safely at all times.”

Provisions of the law include:

Children under 8 cannot operate ATVs.
Children ages 8-11 may operate only ATVs with an engine displacement less than 70 cubic centimeters.
Children ages 12-15 may operate only ATVs with engine displacement of 90 cubic centimeters or less.
• Children ages 8-15 may operate an ATV only under the continuous visual supervision of a person 18 years of age or older.
All operators, including adults, must wear helmets and face protection.
ATV operators cannot carry passengers, unless the machine is specifically designed for passengers. .
ATVs cannot be operated on public streets, roads or highways, except for purposes of crossing.
Beginning October 1, 2006, all ATV operators born on or after January 1, 1990 must have a safety certificate showing that he/she has successfully completed an ATV safety course sponsored or approved by the All-Terrain Safety Institute.
Violators of the law may receive finds up to $200. If the ATV is used for farm purposes, hunting or trapping, then the law does not apply.
I heard about other people complaining about this in other ATV forums. The age doesn't match the cc engine. The last part is interesting. You throw a gun in the back and it's ok (saying your hunting).

Last edited by Bound4NC; 06-11-2006 at 10:48 AM..

Old 06-11-2006, 11:07 AM

192 posts, read 591,928 times
Quote:
Lucky, are you ready for all the rain that you will probably get off of Tropical Storm Alberto?
Lord no! We've had so much rain! I've been watching him carefully. Looks like rain tonight, mon & tues. from him. Yuck! As you know, the humidity follows the rain...ughhh!

After a long drought, the recent rains were at first welcome, but we are about truly receiving more than our share "up here", in the last few weeks. Seems like a monsoon, nearly every afternoon from severe thunderstorms...and wind/lightening/some hail. The rain is just torrential during these storms. Looks like you've had more than your share of late too...just watching the radar. I always look at your location too...to see what Bethany's getting!

Only good thing is, I've not had to water the garden very much...but it's just as bad for it to receive inordinate quantities of rain, as it is the drought...really "splits" my tomatoes, as they can't take too much rain & swell & crack. I've worked really hard & it's just superb this year...

I can't believe the mosquitos haven't hit yet with a vengeance, aided in breeding by the standing water...but so far, they're not so bad. But the snakes...yikes we are having so many this year from the mild winter & they seem to like to move after the rain lately.

I'm nervous as a cat about this years hurricane season...that's not like me....but with the current prediction just very, very much so. We've nothing too terrible since Isabel & as you know, her intensity more than got my attention. I just think they're different now Bethany...more intense than I ever remember during my youth.

I guess the cycle begins now....just have to sit tight & keep watch...and get ready! We're just this a.m. going over our readiness checklist!...need to fire up the generator to make sure it's working/maintenance & stock up on my essentials, make sure I have all my papers in order & together, & on & on you know the drill ... I do need to get plywood cut to seal the gable vents shut too. There are just so many things to think about to be ready.

Quote:
You throw a gun in the back and it's ok (saying your hunting).
maybe...

but realize folks here use ATV's for their hunting "business"...they are licensed businesses with professional guides for hire. They're often used to take their clients in/out.

And someone hunting on a ATV here alone, would have a legal written hunting permission or proof of land ownership, on their person, a hunting license...or face a ticket...not to mention they would be dressed the part (camo).

Quote:
So, I have to assume your stretching it a little.
I concur with her totally...she's really not. That's a totally normal, routine occurance.

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2006 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina