Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff72 View Post
this is my first time posting a message. i live in CT currently and work for a major bank HQ'd in charlotte. (wasn't sure if i was allowed to name it but its not hard to come up w/ a short list) anyway- i've recently started flirting w/ the idea of relocating. i've been reading posts here for a while w/o registering and i've noticed i'm hardly the first CT/northeasterner to be having such thoughts. i have 2 school age children and their education/happiness/well-being is everything to me. i feel pretty confused as to which is the best town to consider. i'm looking to get away from having to spend $300-$400K for a house and see nice houses in towns like concord and huntersville for $175K. should i assume there's something wrong with them? its hard for a CT person to get their head around those real estate prices. thanks if advance for your input.
Hi Griff, welcome to the NC board! I know it can be confusing for sure. Luckily there are many nice areas in Charlotte to choose from, so saying one is "the best" is really hard. In areas like Huntersville, Concord, Harrisburg (all north and northeast of the city of Charlotte) and in the southwest corner of Charlotte in the area known as Steele Creek homes in the $175,000 range are pretty common. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with them These are all really nice areas. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 45,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Griff, welcome to the NC board! I know it can be confusing for sure. Luckily there are many nice areas in Charlotte to choose from, so saying one is "the best" is really hard. In areas like Huntersville, Concord, Harrisburg (all north and northeast of the city of Charlotte) and in the southwest corner of Charlotte in the area known as Steele Creek homes in the $175,000 range are pretty common. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with them These are all really nice areas. Good luck in your search!

thanks for the input. this forum is great. it really helps getting opinions from people who've made the move before. its good to hear the positive and negative- although i have to say its been mostly positive. i guess my other consideration will have to be the commute based on where i'd be working. from what i've read north of charlotte is tough if you're going into charlotte.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
thanks for the input. this forum is great. it really helps getting opinions from people who've made the move before. its good to hear the positive and negative- although i have to say its been mostly positive. i guess my other consideration will have to be the commute based on where i'd be working. from what i've read north of charlotte is tough if you're going into charlotte.
It can be tough no matter what side of town you are on if you are far enough out, LOL! But, some people just seem to accept those longer commutes as the price they pay for the wonderful home they fall in love with And there is a home here for everyone to fall in love with, trust me!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
It can be tough no matter what side of town you are on if you are far enough out, LOL! But, some people just seem to accept those longer commutes as the price they pay for the wonderful home they fall in love with And there is a home here for everyone to fall in love with, trust me!

can you recommend a good hotel to stay in if i were to come down for a few days in april? one that would allow me to visit not only residential areas but also enjoy a little of what charlotte has to offer. i have to schedule a few fun things for the kids too. another thing that confuses me are the different areas of charlotte- i often see "university area" among others.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
can you recommend a good hotel to stay in if i were to come down for a few days in april? one that would allow me to visit not only residential areas but also enjoy a little of what charlotte has to offer. i have to schedule a few fun things for the kids too. another thing that confuses me are the different areas of charlotte- i often see "university area" among others.
Well, one suggestion I would have is to stay in the uptown area. It would be centrally located for you to branch out from for exploring the different sides of town. Also, you could take your kids to the Discovery Place Science Museum and Omnimax theater. It is in the heart of uptown, so you could walk to it from any uptown hotel. There are also some great restuarants down there. You could even maybe catch a Charlotte Bobcats game in the new arena (if they like NBA basketball). I personally recommend the Hampton Inn Charlotte-Uptown
530 East 2nd Street
Charlotte, NC 28202

Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Well, one suggestion I would have is to stay in the uptown area. It would be centrally located for you to branch out from for exploring the different sides of town. Also, you could take your kids to the Discovery Place Science Museum and Omnimax theater. It is in the heart of uptown, so you could walk to it from any uptown hotel. There are also some great restuarants down there. You could even maybe catch a Charlotte Bobcats game in the new arena (if they like NBA basketball). I personally recommend the Hampton Inn Charlotte-Uptown
530 East 2nd Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
my kids would love the museum. i saw info on it before and its definitely on the list. and i'd love to catch a bobcats game. how long a drive would it be from uptown to the raleigh area? i'd go at non-peak times of course.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 AM

32 posts, read 92,271 times
As a person living in Charlotte, I love it here. Been here for 4 years. I would stay away from Concord and Huntersville - they are getting too crowded, and traffic is terrible coming into town there. I would look on the south side of Charlotte around Ballentine, Steele Creek and Pineville. If you have a downtown job - the commute is better. Also, if you like urban, downtown is really up and coming. There are lots of nice night spots, and tons of upscale condos going in.

The schools, on the otherhand, are in turmoil. Mecklenburg County is having real growth problems with the school system - and there have been petitions to split it up.

Can I suggest just over the line in York County, SC? The schools are the best in the area there - lots of folks are relocating to get away from the Meck county school issue. The commute to downtown Charlotte is real easy.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 AM

435 posts, read 1,809,092 times
Quote:
my kids would love the museum. i saw info on it before and its definitely on the list. and i'd love to catch a bobcats game. how long a drive would it be from uptown to the raleigh area? i'd go at non-peak times of course.
The drive to Raleigh is probably about 3hrs.
Another place to go with kids (if its open at that time) is Carrowinds.
Just make sure you have a good map of Charlotte. The street names tend to change & you won't even notice it. South Charlotte is nice & you can find some lovely homes for a reasonable price (if you are willing to buy a home that is not new- homes that were built in the late 80s/early 90s). Matthews is a nice area as well. Pineville is starting to grow, but the traffic can be bad- even on the weekends. I'm not too familiar with the north of the city since I really have no reason to visit that area. I do drive into Union county everyday since I work down there and there are some neighborhoods that are very nice and right near the boarder of Meck. County.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Uptown Charlotte to Raliegh can be done in just under 3 hours, maybe 2.5 depending on where you are going

Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 AM

702 posts, read 2,519,804 times
The year-round school calendar sounds awesome....I would love to find a school near me on that calendar. It's 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off..alll year - with some holidays mixed in that don't fall into the 3 week-off period, and a little longer than 3 weeks in the summer. Sounds like heaven to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina