U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 12,324 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

first of all I am german and so please excuse my english.

I got the offer by my current company to work for a period of one up to three years in one of our NC facilities. This sound very interesting for me and my wife but by the fact that we have a little son which is in class 7, we have to check some generall issus before.

One of this is the possibility to learn Latin in school or better to get Latin lessens teached in German perhaps by an privat individual.

One of the facilities is located in Raleigh/Durham area and the other one in Winston-Salem/Greensborow area.

1. Does anybody knows something about Lation lessons for germans in these areas ?
2. Does anybody has other helpful information about German kids in NC schools ?

Many thanks in advance
GOWEST_ALM
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,758 times
Hi GOWEST_ALM,

Sorry I can't help you with your question but you may have better luck posting in the cities forums.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...em-high-point/

Good luck!

The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is great by the way!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM

917 posts, read 2,091,165 times
I am curious as to why you want your son to take latin classes here? Is he already learning latin in Germany?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,324 times
Yes he is still learning latin and english in school - germany seems to be very special regarding this subject

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Winston-Salem was settled by Moravians from Germany...there is a large 1700s-era historic preservation district in addition to many historic cultural influences from the city's Moravian beginnings. I don't know about Latin in elementary schools - Grades K-5 in the U.S. - but it is available in some public middle and high schools and in many private schools. Forsyth Country Day, Bishop McGuinness Catholic, and Salem Academy are all levels and offer Latin courses as early as 5th Grade.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,653,312 times
My momma is German and I grew up in NC Schools.

My momma speaks of learning english, latin and french in Elementry school. Sadly that is not the norm in NC, not even the norm in the United States. My son is in High School (in the Triangle area)and they do not have a latin program.

As americans, we are behind in education of foreign languages and studies.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 5,231,573 times
Hello,
I'm not sure about Latin in elementary schools. But a good resource for your family would be Carolinakinder.org. They are a group of at least 100 German speaking families in the area that do various German lessons, cultural activities, playgroups and the like. I'm married to a German and surprisingly there are a lot of Germans in the area. Good luck and Welcome. By the way, all the Germans that come here don't want to go back to Germany. The weather here is too nice!!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 AM

535 posts, read 1,560,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
As americans, we are behind in education of foreign languages and studies.
The only thing they're teaching now it seems is Spanish. Even at my daughter's school. I asked about French, "no, we need to welcome out latino visitors". JHC on a stick, whatever.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
My son is in High School (in the Triangle area)and they do not have a latin program.
Oh wow, what high school? I see you are in Durham. When I went to Northern they had Latin classes. I took German and Spanish, and my sister took Latin and German, she graduated in 2006. I guess I thought it was just standard in the area. Or maybe they are doing away with some of the programs b/c of low class enrollment?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,653,312 times
I was mistaken.... his school does have a latin program. I do not remember seeing it when we filled out his class list. It may just be for upperclassmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina