Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:21 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times

Advertisements

This storm is going to be a big rain maker. It is due to hit Tampa pretty close and the last time Tampa was hit dead on was in 1921. Since this doesn't promise to be a big problem unless it dumps too much rain in areas that don't need it although from what I hear the area of Florida that it is headed to is in a drought situation, this might be a good storm to watch and learn to track with if you don't know that much about tropical weather. North Carolina will probably get some coastal rain off of this one but basically it won't be that bad. Last year the first tropical storm formed on June 9, 2005 so this one is right on schedule for a moderately active year. Generally speaking, you can expect 1 tropical storm/hurricane in June once every 2 years. So like I said we are right on schedule for an active year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 09:38 AM

195 posts, read 217,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
This storm is going to be a big rain maker. It is due to hit Tampa pretty close and the last time Tampa was hit dead on was in 1921. Since this doesn't promise to be a big problem unless it dumps too much rain in areas that don't need it although from what I hear the area of Florida that it is headed to is in a drought situation, this might be a good storm to watch and learn to track with if you don't know that much about tropical weather. North Carolina will probably get some coastal rain off of this one but basically it won't be that bad. Last year the first tropical storm formed on June 9, 2005 so this one is right on schedule for a moderately active year. Generally speaking, you can expect 1 tropical storm/hurricane in June once every 2 years. So like I said we are right on schedule for an active year.
Curious, what about the following months?

Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 AM

14 posts, read 111,766 times
Default Avoid the Buy of the Storm

If you are buying a home in any of the nation's hurricane-prone regions, keep one step ahead of storm forecasts.
Along with preparing for household survival, get ready for storm warning-spawned moratoriums on homeowners insurance -- moratoriums than can kill the deal. Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-06-2007 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 AM

Well, we have had a couple of good hurricanes in July. Bertha of 1996 in North Carolina was a pretty good Cat. 1-2 storm. The peak is around September 10th when thing really get popping. But in the past few years the ones that have hit North Carolina have come in August, around my birthday with is the 16th. Hurricane Camille that was a Cat. 5 hit Biloxi, MS on August 17th I believe it was in 1969. She was a huge problem and they had a lot of deaths here. So I would get worried around the last week in July thru the middle of October. Things settle down around the end of October and I don't recall a land falling hurricane after October and the season ends on November 30th. Of particular note though, the last hurricane of the 2005 season was in the Atlantic in January, 2006. It didn't bother anyone except shipping interests but the mere fact that it was there is unusual to say the least. And let me add here also that home owner's don't generally include flooding insurance. Renter's insurance and flood insurance as with any home owner's insurance must be in effect for 30 days at least prior to filing a claim. In the event that a storm is on the way, most companies will not write a policy at that time.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 AM

In response to the storms of my life time

Barbara-8/13/53
Carol-8/25/54
Edna-9/2/54
Hazel-10/15/54
Connie-8/3/55
Ione-9/19/55
Helene-9/27/58
Donna-9/11/60
Ginger-9/30/71
Gloria-9/27/85
Bob-8/15/89
Hugo-9/21/89
Bertha-7/12/96
Fran-9/5-6/96
Bonnie-8/18/98
Dennis-8/16/99 and again as a tropical storm on 8/30/99
Floyd-9/16/99

Then we had Isabelle in August of 2003 and Ophelia in August of 2005.

I don't know for sure if this is exactly all of them or if the history of the hurricanes have been lumped together in terms of major storms (Cat. 3 or higher) or that we haven't had minor problems with the remanents of some such as David in 1979.
Also some of the dates I found spread out over a week's period leading me to believe that was the date the storm formed as a hurricane and ran its course until it was down graded. Tropical storms and hurricane seasons run in 30 or so year cycles with quiet years and active years. We are currently in an active phase that started around 1996. These are landfalling hurricanes for the state of North Carolina only.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 AM

192 posts, read 654,785 times
I think it's also imp't to note it doesn't include tropical storms & depressions does it? or nor'easters for certain...not to mention storms that made landfall in other states but track up through NC....all cause flooding & destruction in coastal NC.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Exclamation Public Stats

Public safety officials and assistance agency representatives are appalled by the poll results. Some of the most widespread - and dangerous - misconceptions include:
96% of coastal residents surveyed do not know that garage doors are most likely to be the first structural element to fail during a hurricane.
80% do not know that storm surge presents the greatest threat to human life from land-falling hurricanes.
85% are not aware that most hurricane fatalities caused by drowning have happened in inland counties.
54% think that masking tape is sufficient to keep windows from shattering.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:42 AM

Exclamation Hurricanes

The North Carolina coast is the most vulnerable to a direct hurricane strike, but inland cities and towns across the state can also be devastated by the high winds and potential tornados, storm surges, flooding and landslides from hurricanes and tropical storms.

Past Hurricanes
North Carolina is the second state most prone to hurricane strikes. From 1996 to 2005, the state has been hit by 15 hurricanes or tropical storms.
1996 Hurricane Fran
1998 Hurricane Georges
1999 Hurricanes Bonnie, Dennis, Floyd and Irene
2003 Hurricane Isabel
2004 Hurricanes Alex, Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne
2005 Hurricane Ophelia
From 1851 to 2005, North Carolina has been hit by 47 hurricanes, 12 of them major. Twenty-two hurricanes were a category 1, thirteen were a category 2, eleven were a category 3 and one was a category 4. North Carolina has not had a direct hit from a category 5 hurricane.

Hurricane Hazel, a category 4 storm, came inland at the South Carolina/ North Carolina border on October 15, 1954. Hazel was considered the most destructive hurricane to hit North Carolina until Hurricane Floyd in 1999. Hazel caused 19 deaths in North Carolina and an estimated $136 million in damages to the state. Floyd caused 52 deaths and an estimated $6 billion in damages.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder

Bethany I'm flying into Charlotte Friday night. Hopefully no hurricanes on the horizon.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:39 PM

192 posts, read 654,785 times
Quote:
Public safety officials and assistance agency representatives are appalled by the poll results. Some of the most widespread - and dangerous - misconceptions include:
96% of coastal residents surveyed do not know that garage doors are most likely to be the first structural element to fail during a hurricane.
80% do not know that storm surge presents the greatest threat to human life from land-falling hurricanes.
85% are not aware that most hurricane fatalities caused by drowning have happened in inland counties.
54% think that masking tape is sufficient to keep windows from shattering.
well that's shocking...everyone here regards those things as common knowledge...can't say I'd agree they'd hold true in coastal NC..at least not percentages that high..but that's just my opinion as a lifelong coastal native only . Still shocking info nonetheless!

I did notice this (googled) about that particular poll:
"The Mason-Dixon polltakers asked 1,100 adults in twelve coastal states, from Maine to Texas, a series of 20 hurricane-related questions"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina