U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 AM

324 posts, read 1,391,716 times

Advertisements

i moved from milwaukee to tampa in 97 and away from family & friends and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
Thumbs down Devestating

Moving away from the only family I had to another state was devestating. I'm 40, 1rst marriage for both my husband and I. He was born and raised in the other state we live in now, a 5 hour drive away from my family, where I was born and raised at. Had to move because of job loss and ran out of money. Husband's relatives offered to let us live with them till we found a place of our own. It's been almost a year now, still living in a small bedroom, left all our furniture behind because no room to store it and not enough room in the U-Haul. Experience left me pissed, bitter, depressed and suicidal. Would rather be dead than to live so far away from family and stuck in a small bedroom. I hate my life and cry uncontrollably every time we leave my family to go back home after a visit. Have to choose between family and husband now. Don't move unless you feel peace about it and a healthy compromise can be made with u and your spouse about visits and what's best for both of your emotional and mental health. I've been going through hell for almost a year. Don't make same mistake.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times
Me too......getting ready to move even a greater distance away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
i moved from milwaukee to tampa in 97 and away from family & friends and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,772,661 times
Default what about

If someone needs to provide for the immediate family, then when presented with resentful relatives, I would simply ask "Are you going to feed my kids or am I supposed to watch them go hungry"

The only sad part to this whole "move to where the job is" is that:

How long will there even be jobs on another state to get if your own state doesnt have any?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,216,405 times
This is an old thread.

I see this from time to time but don't understand it. I joined the USAF at 18 now at 45 have lived in 4 foreign countries and 6 states. The family and I were stationed at 11 bases in 24 years. I retired 12 hours away from my family in Indiana. I try to get home every year or two.

It is what made America great and the country what it is today. The Pioneers packed up and moved out when the crops failed, it got too crowded, or cheap land was available elsewhere. The timid stayed in Europe.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 12,299 times
Just a heads up its not easy i moved near family in ny away from ware i grew up in wa moved home 2 years later for a year and now ive been in az for 2 years i dont want to live in the small dead end town i grew up in but miss friends and family even though i have it good ware i am now. As a kid what was the most important things to? Friends family and fun? The grass isnt always greener on the other side

Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM

978 posts, read 1,612,080 times
I live about 15 hours from my family. I only get to see them once a year. To be perfectly honest, I actually enjoy being somewhat far away from them. I'm sure it would be harder if I had children.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 416 times
Must be fate that I stumbled across this post today...my husband and I are getting ready to move to Raleigh, NC from Ohio. We used to live there when we first got married, but moved back to my home, Ohio, to have children. Now our kids are 1 and 5. I have been feeling both excited to go back to Raleigh, but sad to leave my parents. I googled "moving my family out of state" today and this popped up with you moving to Raleigh. Just feels like a confirmation that this is the right move to make. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina