U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 112,791 times

Advertisements

If I were you I would Google Adams Egloff Avant they built my moms home and some of my clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,187 times
Default Custom Builders

Check out Thompson Properties in Fletcher NC. Absolutely wonderful.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 64,984 times
carnut,
just as a after thought be sure when you've made your final choice please check them out through BBB AND Consumer affairs and also NAHB which is a wonderful website.You may find that your builder is already a member of these assoc which is great.That in its self tells you alot about the
integrity of the builder you choose especially BBB.also National asso home builder has so much to offer consumer too.GREAT WEBSITE GOOD LUCK.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 AM

65 posts, read 364,754 times
Thanks for all the builder names in the area. We have a good idea what we are looking for as we have built many homes before. I do understand about NAHB and BBB. Those are always good ideas with any large investment.

I have written these builders names down and I am doing some research on them now. I have learned over the years that if a builder does not have a good website to show their past accomplishments then they may not actually have any to speak of. A custom home builder that has built one or two is NOT the builder we are looking for.

We are also definitely not looking for a volume builder such as Toll Brothers. I do appreciate the name for that area. I have personal experience with them and I would not let them build a dog house for my worse enemy. They simply do not have the ability to build the type of home we are interested in. I do have personal experience with these people so this is not based on someone else's past experience. I would not recommend them at all, to anyone, anywhere in the country. They are not a family builder and they do not believe in or have any family values. This goes all the way to the top in the owner Mr. Toll himself as well as Zvi Barsely as well. It is all about the kill, and not the client. Sorry for the rant but I really dislike that company a great deal.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 AM

57 posts, read 146,417 times
Thumbs up if you can get him

if you can get Sam Marshall in the huntersville area you will have a winner all the way.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.

I like the Simonini Builders and Deinst Builders from what I have seen. I need to fly up and see thier homes in progress.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 PM

162 posts, read 200,002 times
Default Custom Homes

Go To The Crescent Communities Site, They Have Many Communities And Basically Just Deal With Custom Builders Who Have Great Track Records.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,678,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Thanks for all the builder names in the area. We have a good idea what we are looking for as we have built many homes before. I do understand about NAHB and BBB. Those are always good ideas with any large investment.

I have written these builders names down and I am doing some research on them now. I have learned over the years that if a builder does not have a good website to show their past accomplishments then they may not actually have any to speak of. A custom home builder that has built one or two is NOT the builder we are looking for.

We are also definitely not looking for a volume builder such as Toll Brothers. I do appreciate the name for that area. I have personal experience with them and I would not let them build a dog house for my worse enemy. They simply do not have the ability to build the type of home we are interested in. I do have personal experience with these people so this is not based on someone else's past experience. I would not recommend them at all, to anyone, anywhere in the country. They are not a family builder and they do not believe in or have any family values. This goes all the way to the top in the owner Mr. Toll himself as well as Zvi Barsely as well. It is all about the kill, and not the client. Sorry for the rant but I really dislike that company a great deal.
I second that.....
They do build luxurious and expensive, higher end houses, but, a lot of people are not pleased with them at all. They also have some issues with the dept. of labor (that's all I am going to say about it )
I'm sorry, BBB is good, but unfortunately, not always helpful!
A big builder could have several locations, in several different states. Complaints are being processed in each and every single state, and not all "together". So, they could have a reputable rep in one state (because maybe they just got that market???), but have a mile long complaints list in another.
Seen it, and people had to deal with it. The thing I would do...research as much as possible, talk to people which own a home from that builder. Not only is it vital to get quality end excellent craftsmenship but also a virtual lifetime "back-up" from that builder. I know of a developer/ builder which is a client of mine. He builts with impectible presicions, and doesn't stop after the 1 -year warranty is up. Fact is, something COULD go wrong, at any given time, with the BEST construction. Well, he's there, because his motto is, he stands 110 % behind his "creation", it's his "imprint" and "business card", and word of mouth is the most powerful tool EVER CREATED!!!!
He's NOT in NC yet, but I truly wished he was.....
It would be heaven,and a done deal for you, to find a builder like him!
Good luck!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 AM

Thanks and I agree that National builders tend to do better in some regions than in others. I actually know someone very well in the NC region with Toll. The problem is that corporate office is so incredibly messed up in the "Toll ways" that it is in concrete to NOT help clients. Enough about them, They are simply not the builder we are looking for.

I also agree that even the best built homes will sometimes have problems. Hey folks plain and simple we crucified the last perfect person, right? What the difference is if they will stand behind there product. I have found that volume builders will not and custom builders will, for the most part. Every one is different.

The home may take two years to build once we find the land.

I will look up The Crescent Communities.

Thanks for all the leads here. I have found some great information in the area.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 AM

31 posts, read 87,859 times
Check out Morgan Keefe in Arden. If you're looking for a truly CUSTOM high end home, then they may be what you're looking for.

-C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina