U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,473 times

Advertisements

Like a lot of folks from NY,NJ area we are also retiring to NC. The cost of housing and the relative low taxes were of prime consideration for us living on a fixed income and some investments.
I like the much slower pace of the South and traffic is almost non existant compared the the NY metropolitan area.
I have read/heard that the summers are brutal in NC and the one time I was there in July it was awfully hot. But NJ can be really hot in the summer also and as long as the A/C can keep up I am sure we will be OK.
I sure am gonna miss those 18-24" snowfalls every once in a while.
R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Like a lot of folks from NY,NJ area we are also retiring to NC. The cost of housing and the relative low taxes were of prime consideration for us living on a fixed income and some investments.
I like the much slower pace of the South and traffic is almost non existant compared the the NY metropolitan area.
I have read/heard that the summers are brutal in NC and the one time I was there in July it was awfully hot. But NJ can be really hot in the summer also and as long as the A/C can keep up I am sure we will be OK.
I sure am gonna miss those 18-24" snowfalls every once in a while.
R
To escape the heat, you should consider Western NC instead of the Eastern part of the state. Last summer, the Asheville area had only 3 days of 90+ weather. Normal highs are in the high 70's and low 80's all summer long. Winters are also moderate compared to the NYC area. A normal snowfall season total for the Asheville-Hendersonville area is only around 17". So far this season, they have had only trace amounts according to the National Weather Service at the Asheville-Hendersonville Airport.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:39 AM

131 posts, read 140,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
To escape the heat, you should consider Western NC instead of the Eastern part of the state. Last summer, the Asheville area had only 3 days of 90+ weather. Normal highs are in the high 70's and low 80's all summer long. Winters are also moderate compared to the NYC area. A normal snowfall season total for the Asheville-Hendersonville area is only around 17". So far this season, they have had only trace amounts according to the National Weather Service at the Asheville-Hendersonville Airport.
Small towns west of Asheville average upper 80s max in summer
and you get snow in the winter.Not a lot compared to northern states,but
some is better than none like Florida and there you get hurricanes.Price on property is less.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 13,485 times
This is all great news because I have already bought a home in Asheville and, having lived in Florida for 16 years, I am NOT interested in heat OR humidity! I am looking to move and semi-retire in two or three years. Can't wait!

Old 04-12-2006, 06:00 PM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
If you don't like the humidity, I would not move any closer to the coast than Raleigh as the closet and I would probably proceed to Greensboro, Winston Salem or even Asheville. But on the coast, we don't get a lot of snow. Our biggest problems are the hurricanes that visit on an average of one every other year or so although we were hit twice in six weeks from Bertha and Fran. Then we got Bonnie in 1998. But in 1999, we got hit by Hurricane Dennis. He moved off shore and we thought he was gone. About 10 days later he did a loop-de-loop and hit us again on August 30, 1999. Then two weeks later we got Floyd. And he nearly flooded the entire eastern part of NC. There were 42 deaths I believe it was in the state. Most of the county here was soaked although we personally missed it about about a mile. But let me tell you, taking my husband to the stoplight and him hopping a row boat for the 3/4 mile trip to town hall is an experience in real living let me tell you. Summers are miserable down here. If you work outside they are. But I try to stay indoors as much as possible.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:39 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic
Small towns west of Asheville average upper 80s max in summer and you get snow in the winter.Not a lot compared to northern states, but some is better than none like Florida and there you get hurricanes.Price on property is less.
Ummm ... mountain communities are impacted by hurricanes, with vicious results. With streams running between ridges and rivers flowing thru mountain towns located in valleys, there is no place for the water to go. This is the Asheville area with recent hurricane damage

http://www.clydefd.com/db_501.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or