U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 AM

305 posts, read 1,019,929 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that in North Carolina it is against the law to have a barbecue grill on a patio in an apartment building in NC.

Please, tell me this is NOT true. And if it is, could someone send me a link where it is a law?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,227,258 times
I don't know about a statewide law, but I have seen that sort of thing noted in multi-person dwelling lease or HOA agreements. They usually say outdoor grills will not be operated within a prescribed distance of the apartment/townhouse/condominium building. Check the lease before signing.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-10-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 AM

3,193 posts, read 5,986,825 times
City of Raleigh | Fire Safety for Apartments (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Fire/Prevention/Cat-2CA-2008714-092142-Fire_Safety_for_Apartmen.html - broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 AM

3,193 posts, read 5,986,825 times
Grilling Ordinance (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Fire/Fire+Prevention+Bureau/Grilling+Ordinance.htm - broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Wow. They were right. No bbq'ing on the balcony. there's no way the place we will move into will extend the balcony so we could bbq. My husband will be heartbroken.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 AM

2,447 posts, read 4,741,440 times
It's a safety issue. Many apartments have outdoor grilling areas.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,466,774 times
While it might be a law, I'd say it is very loosely enforced. When I used to live in an apartment, I often grilled on the patio area. Do note though that if your grilling leaves the place up in smoke, you will most certainly be held liable for the damages.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM

The only problem with having to get to an apartment located grill is the fact that my husband is disabled so actually walking to it would be a problem depending on how far away from our actual apartment it is.

(We won't know until we move there next year. We know which apt. community, just not the specific apt.)

Old 12-10-2008, 05:09 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
It's a safety issue. Many apartments have outdoor grilling areas.
People are idiots, and these regulations are necessary because people can't/won't exercise any common sense.

Local apartment burned because a gas grill was left within inches of the plastic siding and left unattended, when the guy went back into the apt.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 PM

22,017 posts, read 39,714,926 times
examples:
Grill Blamed for Raleigh Apartment Fire :: WRAL.com
North Stone Apartment Fire Leaves Several Homeless
16 displaced in apartment fire : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

Quote:
Summer fun often includes cooking and eating outdoors with family and friends. Citizens who want to share in this favorite pastime must take special precautions. Using portable grills in some instances is unsafe and against the law.
Section 504.8 of the North Carolina State Fire Prevention code prohibits outdoor grilling within 10 feet vertically and horizontally of combustible materials or portions of all occupancies except one and two family dwellings and townhouses.
The code applies to charcoal grills, propane gas grills, natural gas grills, hibachis, smokers, or any appliance which uses an open flame to cook. These regulations apply only when grills are in use. The storage of grills when they are not in use, or when they're cool and not subject to creating a fire hazard, is not regulated by this requirement. In addition, we'd like to offer the following clarifications:

These regulations also apply to portable electric grills if the grill contains loose heat storage material such as lava rock.
The storage of grills with propane tanks having water capacity greater than 2-1/2 pounds is permitted only on decks, porches and patios at ground level or those which have exterior stairs for access. This is a National Fire Protection Association standard requirement.
The 10 feet of clearance also applies to combustible materials such as pine straw, pine bark, and other combustible landscaping materials.
The regulations do not apply to fixed grills, but strict attention should be paid to the grill instructions to insure that required clearances are maintained.

- Never use charcoal lighter fluid on a burning fire.
- Leave the grill hood open until ignition occurs when lighting gas grills.
- Don't grill near combustible materials such as pine needles or leaves.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or charged garden hose accessible.
- Always shut off valves to propane tanks when not in use.
- Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina