Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 AM

889 posts, read 3,108,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
After my Dad retired he did some work in Western NC just to keep busy and make a little extra cash. He was astonished at the lack of available equipment. He could actually order equipment from his old wholesaler in Ann Arbor and get it quicker than he could from the supply house in Asheville. Just a different mentality. And as to the quality of work. A real joke.
Additionally, when I lived in the Eastern part of NC, my job played out and I decided to dust off my HVAC tools (worked for my Dad 5 years before I went to college), and try to get a job. Well, I got one paying $6.50 an hour. If fact my supervisor ask me, "why are you doing this work down here. Ain't nothing but a bunch of drunks and mexicans." I had been making $12.00 an hour in MI 10 years earlier.
Well it explains the cheap home prices.LOW PAY!!!!
Its an absolute joke for men in the trades to be paid such low wages i just dont understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,453,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofNY
I have been thinking about moving from NY. But it is a very scary and uncharted terrrotory for me. My husband is an electrician here with the union and wanted to know about jobs there and benefits, but i have no idea where to look, any ideas? I am a Spanish teacher, there shouldnt be a problem with my job.
thanks

I saw a job currentlly posted on the Mecklenberg county website for an interperter. I think it paid 34,000. Not a lot but teachers get paid squat too right?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 PM

37,745 posts, read 40,809,970 times
You can't get a good idea of what a particular town is like by looking on the internet.

I think that's true but it does help you to eliminate some places. I think it's helpful to ask yourself what it is that you like about where you live now and then try to find those things or better those things elsewhere. I always suggest that people compare the town/city they live in now to the town they are considering on Sperling's Best Places City Compare page and ask yourself if you can live with the "big differences" or do those factors where there are big differences matter too much to you to overlook. While it might not find your ideal spot, it should eliminate some potential places you were considering.

Also, my advice to anyone thinking of relocating is to subscribe online to the newspaper of the new town you are considering and read it daily before you check out the place in person. Not only will a pattern emerge of the town's crime hot spots (arrest stories usually include addresses) but you'll get a feel for the community by its activies (calendar of events) and attitudes (letters pages).

Old 08-03-2006, 11:05 PM

26 posts, read 273,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR

We have a TON of chinese restaurants. We just got a Brazillian Steak restaurant...pricey but good. The Angus Barn is 5 star. Lots of Indian restaurants but I don't like the taste or the smell of the curry. I hear the sushi is good at Khanki Japenese and I love their steak teriaky. I think we may have ONE Korean, maybe more, I just don't eat that although I think I'd love it. A few Thai but not sure about the Jamaician. Sorry but my spelling is way off today...and I'm in a hurry to get to work. I'm spending more time on here than I should be but I really enjoy reading the posts. Ok...off to meet a client...have a great day, all!!! Vicki
Oh I am so ready to move here... I love wide varieties of food! Is there a nice handful of vegeterian restaurants there?? How about Cuban food too?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,845,138 times
Everyone wants cheap houses, cheap labor and wages always go hand and hand. Remember that. Is anyone there making over $15hr?

Old 08-04-2006, 12:27 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,259,069 times
Quote:
Is anyone there making over $15hr?
My husband is. He's a crane mechanic (formerly ground support equipment mechanic at an airplane maintenance facility) with no college education. He was offered a job in Florida making $100,000 a year, but turned it down. We have no desire to leave NC.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,845,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
My husband is. He's a crane mechanic (formerly ground support equipment mechanic at an airplane maintenance facility) with no college education. He was offered a job in Florida making $100,000 a year, but turned it down. We have no desire to leave NC.
That should give the men some hope. Houses so cheap $15hr+ isn't bad. What about the women. What do they make? Office type of jobs?

Old 08-04-2006, 01:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,771,235 times
We are relocating to NC and my wife was offered 36k + bonus in retail management. At first, we were appalled since this was more than 10k less than what she was making here in CA. But after researching what other retailers offer, this was good. They say it's the cost of living out there, but I only see a difference in housing prices. Rents are almost comparable and groceries don't seem much different, if at all.

As for me, I run an online business and consulting company. So, hopefully, the move will not make much of an impact for me. However, I've also dabbled in the real estate investing and building industry since this is where my family comes from, and I hope to be partnering with other contractors out there who are interested in making more than the paltry hourly wages I've been hearing about. But then again, the housing prices are such that can't support high labor expense like CA disgustingly can (I say disgustingly since even with our softening market, prices are still disgustingly high, and so is the labor).

I welcome any PM's from those builders, contractors, etc who might be interested in networking when I arrive. It's all about helping each other succeed the best way we can. And I could use the help from those who are trustworthy, skilled and confident.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,259,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
That should give the men some hope. Houses so cheap $15hr+ isn't bad. What about the women. What do they make? Office type of jobs?
Gosh, sorry I can't answer that one. I'm a stay-at-home mom.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:21 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,519,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
Well, I should have gone into HVAC and plumbing vs. computers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina