U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 AM

64 posts, read 199,201 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved to NC from NY last year. First of all let me say that we are happy with the move. I notice that a lot of people out there are going through the same things we did before we moved. Everyone is looking for that "perfect" area. One thing you need to know is that the towns, schools, and everyday life down here are not the same as they are in the Northeast, or wherever you moving from. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just different. Everywhere we have been in the state the people have been friendly and always willing to help. Just don't think that you are going to find a town just like you live in now, with better weather and cheaper taxes. My wife is a nurse, so we can live in just about any area we want. You can't get a good idea of what a particular town is like by looking on the internet. I have spent countless hours on the net looking at certain towns, and when we went to visit it was nothing like I expected. I would suggest doing what we did if possible. We found a "safe area", and continue to look around the state. We can make a day trip or overnight to places we want to look at. We haven't found the perfect town yet, but we have some good possibilities, and I'm sure everyones perfect town is down here somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 AM

314 posts, read 1,107,870 times
Great advice. I'd say the same goes for anywhere you move. It is hard to get a true picture of the area by searching the net. I have found that even houses online look way different in person.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,809,264 times
I second that and will also say that alot of your happiness comes from within.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,926,810 times
I think as long as you keep using the word "Perfect" in your search criteria you will never find what you are looking for.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,343 posts, read 4,623,742 times
double dittos- great advice.

The net is a great resource but shouldn't be your end all in your decision making. It's easy to get lost in the stats. I'll even go so far as to say that *opinions* shared here or elsewhere should also simply be considered in context.
I remember moving to MA for the first time from FL 15 years ago. I state trooper at the airport ask me why the heck would I want to move here??? Well clearly he was ready to get out I've had a great experience the last 15 years.

It boils down to a few personal trips to NC to see for yourselves. One thing I enjoyed was just going into a new development and striking up a conversation with a few of the people that lived there. They may have been cutting their grass, walking the dog, etc. I had over a dozen type conversations like that!

I would recommend staying at *least* 4 days if possible. It's hard to see everything and get a real feel for a place in a weekend. We made one 5 day trip and a second 8 day trip and another 5 day trip (all included a weekend). It was very valuable as it gave us enough time to check all the general new developments in and around Charlotte, get a feel for each area (and the areas we didn't like), get comfortable with the roads, take in a little night life, etc.

I also found having a realtor valuable-however if you have family then a realtor is probably not necessary. Being new to the area, we told our RE professional what we wanted, price ranges, etc. She was very helpful *and* honest with us (i.e., you're not going to get a 4000 sqft home fro $100K in Charlotte for example). I've heard a few RE's talk very frankly about the selling slow down in the NE and CA and to adjust expectations- I think that kind of honesty is very valuable. She took us to all the places that met our requirements, and actually after seeing a few places, we adjusted our requirements (our price upwards). I guess we could have done the leg work, but it would have taken much longer.

Anyway, the advice above is great!

Old 06-14-2006, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times
Default considering a move to NC

thank you for the above advice! My husband and I are going to start looking for jobs in NC over the next year. My husband is in finance, so we heard that Raleigh is best bet for those kinds of jobs. We are planning some vacations to get a feel for the areas. My biggest requirements = no long 2 hour commute (one way) and a good school district. i will continue to check this board though and i would love to get a recommendation for a trustworthy realtor. Thanks again

Old 06-14-2006, 05:40 PM

285 posts, read 779,021 times
Lakeman is absolutely right about the school culture being different from the Northeast. The worst part is, if you don't know the right questions to ask, you will not hear the answers that you are in need of.
Good luck to all of you in the search for a better way of life.
Peggy
PS Does anyone know where the rules are posted for the forum? I inquired about this, but did not get a response from the moderator. I am looking for specifics about posting, and how you earn a positive rep.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:34 AM

8,057 posts, read 2,473,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
PS Does anyone know where the rules are posted for the forum? I inquired about this, but did not get a response from the moderator. I am looking for specifics about posting, and how you earn a positive rep.
The replies have been moved here: city-data.com/forum/other-topics/5193-rep-power-system.html

Homepage
Forum Rules
FAQ

Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
Lakeman is absolutely right about the school culture being different from the Northeast. The worst part is, if you don't know the right questions to ask, you will not hear the answers that you are in need of.
Good luck to all of you in the search for a better way of life.
Peggy
Can you give some examples Peg?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,228,508 times
Good advice.
You want the best info on an area...visit yourself. BUT--also talk to long-time residents there! That's very important.

I was born and raised in Winston-Salem, NC and at age 18 moved to Raleigh/Triangle area for college and have lived there ever since. I got to know Raleigh & the Triangle the hard way: without anyone local to tell me the ins and outs. But over time I got to know it very well. I've often given advice to people who are new here. Even people who have lived here for 5+ years were surprised at things I told them...one didn't even know we had an Imax theatre till I told him.
It takes work to really get to know an area unless you have long-time residents to give you info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina