U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 AM

158 posts, read 498,638 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me how it works? I read NCDOT site - still don't get it. Say someone needs a drivers license - never had one - over 18. He first needs to learn to drive - can he drive without license while learning if someone is in the car with him?

In NY you had to get a learner's permit first, and it's different here - so I'm completely confused, please help me understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,250,583 times
According to what I read on the NCDOT website, he would need to obtain a learner's permit. Then he'd be allowed to drive as long as another licensed person was in the vehicle with him. I don't see any difference in the process.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 AM

535 posts, read 1,560,790 times
I'd call your local DMV office and as them.
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Office Locations

Old 12-12-2008, 07:51 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
Can someone explain to me how it works? I read NCDOT site - still don't get it....

In NY you had to get a learner's permit first, and it's different here - so I'm completely confused, please help me understand.
I think you are confused because NC has a graduated license system for drivers under 18.

Quote:
Say someone needs a drivers license - never had one - over 18. He first needs to learn to drive - can he drive without license while learning if someone is in the car with him?
He can't drive unless he has a learner permit or a regular license. - From the NCDOT

Quote:
Driving is a legal privilege and responsibility. If you are 18 years of age or older you may apply for an original North Carolina driver license or a learner permit.

It is against the law to drive a motor vehicle on streets and highways without a valid driver license. It is also illegal to sit in the driver's seat of a motor vehicle while the engine is running or to steer a motor vehicle while it is being pushed or towed by another vehicle if you do not have a valid driver license.
He should get a permit while learning to drive.

Quote:
A new resident has 60 days after establishing residence to obtain a North Carolina license or learner permit.

If you are age 18 or older you can apply for a Learner Permit.

A Learner Permit authorizes the permit holder to drive a specified type or class of motor vehicle while in possession of the permit.

The permit holder must, while operating a motor vehicle over the highways, be accompanied by a person who is licensed to operate the motor vehicle being driven and is seated beside the permit holder.

A Learner Permit is valid for a period of 18 months.

Required testing for a Learner Permit includes: vision, traffic signs, and driving knowledge.
Quote:
For an original driver license of any type, you will be tested on:
vision
knowledge of motor vehicle laws
traffic signs
driving skill (on-road test)
Hope that helps!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM

158 posts, read 498,638 times
NCgirl, thank you, I think I got it.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,078 times
if i live in ny and my drivers license is suspended,can i get a nortth carolina license??and what do i have to do to get one??

Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 18,724 times
What if you are 24 & you have no insurance can you still obtain a NC driver's license.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM

700 posts, read 1,673,015 times
Insurance is required in NC to obtain a license.

NC does not have a reciprocal agreement with any state to my knowledge -- so a license (or lack thereof?) in another state does not translate to a license here. Coming from NY, we had to take the written portion and eye test again. Horrible to get that jumpy feeling like you're 16 again!!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,041 times
My daughter is 18 years old. She has never driven before and does not have a learners permit. Can she apply for a NCDL without having vehicle insurance as she does not have a car right now?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
No she will need to be put on your insurance if she plans to drive your car and provide the DMV a DL123 form then take required documents described in the handbook and have her enroll in the high school drivers ed program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina