Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Lets go back to OP QUESTION WHICH IS DO YOU LOVE IT OR HATE IT the restaurant

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM

432 posts, read 1,664,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Where is it at? We had one in Newport News, those things were the bomb!
Concord and kannapolis!!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 PM

432 posts, read 1,664,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Apparently, Whataburger of Texas & What-A-Burger of Virginia are two different hamburger chains. As far as I can tell, Whataburger has never operated a restaurant in North Carolina. The Texas-based Whataburger sued the Virginia-based What-A-Burger in 2003 over trademark infringement.

Well, there are many over here!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 AM

23 posts, read 49,501 times
I am coming from Texas on the 31st. I can bring you one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wish you were talking about the real whataburger - would so love it if my favorite fast food was anywhere near NC!!!

Whataburger (http://www.whataburger.com/browse_the_menu.php - broken link)

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
Concord and kannapolis!!
Concord and Mini Mexico? Cool, I'll be there on Tuesday. Thanks for the head's up.

I love those burgers. Cheap and good. Just greasy enough. Fries were ok too. When I lived in NN I lived on those some weeks.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
I think there's a What-A-Burger in Mt. Pleasant and Mooresville too.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM

56 posts, read 109,692 times
I know a little of the history of the NC Whataburger chain. It was started in Concord NC in the late 1950's by a restaurateur who had visited an early left coast McDonald's and tried to copy it. It was hugely successful. So much so that several new Whataburgers were built in the surrounding counties and franchise Whataburgers were established in both NC and SC. I worked in one of those franchises as a teenager.

Most Whataburgers (perhaps all of them) featured curb service by locally hired teenage boys. It was a fun job and it bought my first car, a bright Candyapple red 55 Chevy with a Corvette motor, Duntov Cam and a four speed!

The logo of the Carolina's Whataburgers included a model T Ford with hamburger wheels that rotated on the sign. The signs today are highly prized by collectors. A lighted outdoor sign with working rotating hamburger wheels recently sold for nearly 5K at an auction in Concord, NC.

There were several Whataburgers in Charlotte with the largest one on Independence near what is now Cricket Arena (soon to be Bojangles Coliseum). The Whataburger there outsold all of the national chains except McDonald's and threatened the popularity of a Charlotte institution, South 21 Curb restarant.

The Whataburger sandwich was a great deal in it's time period. It was a larger burger and larger bun than McDonald's or Burger King and it was much cheaper! It came standard either as a "yankee" with mayo, lettuce and tomato, optional onion; "regular" with mustard, ketchup, slaw or relish, Whataburger sauce, onion optional; or "western" with chilli, onion and Whataburger sauce.

Many people loved Whataburger Onion Rings and would drive great distances for them. The restaurants also sold great homemade icecream and some sold "plate lunches" if they had inside seating.

I believe Whataburger of the Carolinas was established before the ones in the Southwest.

There is no relation between or intended similarity between the Carolinas Whataburger and those elsewhere.

Overzealous expansion, fierce national fast food competition and the recession of the Carter years proved the undoing of the franchises. I believe that there are only 2 Whataburgers left, both in Cabarrus County, NC.

Last edited by General Ambivalence; 12-15-2008 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
.....and the one in Lenoir came with plastic cup-huggers. Still have those monkeys!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
There was a What A Burger in Albemarle, where I was born in the early 50's. We continued to visit family there after moving to Raleigh when I was 6 years old. This thread (most of it anyway ) has brought back lotsa good memories.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 15,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wish you were talking about the real whataburger - would so love it if my favorite fast food was anywhere near NC!!!

Whataburger (http://www.whataburger.com/browse_the_menu.php - broken link)
The north Caroline and Virgina What-A-Burger was started in the 40s and is the Whataburger of Texas I belive in the 50s so how do you think the Texas chain is the real What-A-Burger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina