Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 60,781 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been concidering moving to N. Carolina. He is in the biotech field and there seem to be a lot of jobs in the area. In all honesty though, after reading some of the posts on here, I am a bit scared.

We would be moving from Maryland. I love the south and actually have family in North Carolina. I realize all areas have their rough spots. Heck, I live near Baltimore and I can tell you, there is plenty of crime in Baltimore city.

It is just a huge decision whether or not to uproot the whole family to move to a place we are not familiar with at all. I have been reading and trying to make an informed decision and we would definitely come down to visit, but I am hesitant now.

Is there anyone out there that has moved and loves it? Is it really all gloom and doom? I know one of the areas my husband has applied for a job is near Wilson, NC. I just finished reading a post about the gangs there ( again, not like Baltimore doesn't have gangs, but I dont' want to live there either).

I would love any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
people are like cats. they thoroughly get to know their territory. when you put them out of it they become very vulnerable.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:49 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,745 times
The entire state is under siege! RUN!

Just kidding. Each state, heck, each city has rough spots. There is crime in Asheville, even *gasp* murders, but they've been happening in the projects, not in the nice neighborhoods. Like Baltimore, do the nice areas have problems with crime or the poorer areas? If we went around living in fear over everything we'd never leave our homes.

I'd visit Wilson and see if you like it. Then drive around the surrounding areas and look to see if any of them seem move livable. I'd also move only if he has a job. I'd not move anywhere w/o work now, esp if there is more than one mouth to feed.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
You can find posts from people who love it here (like me!) but I think the only way to deal with the feelings you have acquired is to visit - more than once - and drive around a bit. Before we bought our house we returned to the neighborhood at night (it was very quiet), drove by during the day and accosted a neighbor who was out doing yardwork (he was from NC, had lived there for 4 years and liked it), and examined the area using Google Map sattelite (hey, what are those large storage tanks nearby?? oh.. water treatment, not sewage treatment.. ok.. lol)

Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cware View Post
.....I would love any input. Thanks!
Have that job lined up first. Until that happens, everything else is moot.......

Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
You are in Maryland? And you are familiar w/ Baltimore? And you are worried about moving here to NC? I am sorry. I can't quite fathom the concern. Especially w/ your looking at a job in Wilson, NC!!

Baltimore is the gunshot wound (per capita) capital of the USA. Yet, I am assuming you are not worried about getting caught in cross fire wherever you live outside of Baltimore.

I live in South Charlotte and I have never even heard gunshots, altho I know there are guns fired in this city, just as in any other city. I am a native and have never been the victim of a crime here - any type of crime.

You are unnecessarily concerning yourself about crime - unless you plan to live and/or work in a high crime area.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are in Maryland? And you are familiar w/ Baltimore? And you are worried about moving here to NC? I am sorry. I can't quite fathom the concern. Especially w/ your looking at a job in Wilson, NC!!

Baltimore is the gunshot wound (per capita) capital of the USA. Yet, I am assuming you are not worried about getting caught in cross fire wherever you live outside of Baltimore.

I live in South Charlotte and I have never even heard gunshots, altho I know there are guns fired in this city, just as in any other city. I am a native and have never been the victim of a crime here - any type of crime.

You are unnecessarily concerning yourself about crime - unless you plan to live and/or work in a high crime area.
Great post Ani, but I think the OP is not aware of much of America outside of Maryland. I could be wrong and I appologize to the OP if I am. It just sounds like the OP is looking at NC through a "dirty glass".

One trip to NC and she will see things clearly!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Great post Ani, but I think the OP is not aware of much of America outside of Maryland. I could be wrong and I appologize to the OP if I am. It just sounds like the OP is looking at NC through a "dirty glass".

One trip to NC and she will see things clearly!!!
I agree, Urban! Why don't you post some of your links to your videos to give her a good idea about how safe Charlotte's uptown is?? I am very proud that our uptown area has a record for steady law enforcement and that it is a good area where one can feel safe, wh/ is not necessarily the case in so many cities.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,078 times
cware, I moved here from Massachusetts 20 years ago. I'm still not crazy about it but it's not ALL bad. The Rocky Mount-Wilson area was pretty awful however. The gangs are a fairly new thing but what I really disliked was the attitude of the people if you did not have their religious beliefs. You are pretty much ostracized if you don't want to attend their church. Of course that might not be a problem for you. The Raleigh area isn't bad and the coast is okay as far as people being a bit less judgemental. It's a pretty state, but WAY too hot in the summer.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM

161 posts, read 645,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Have that job lined up first. Until that happens, everything else is moot.......
Why bother to line up a job if he doesn't like the state? Lining up a job may not be a simple thing, at the very least requires time and energy. I think he has it in the right order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina