U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM

451 posts, read 837,546 times
Great post Ani, I tried to give you an "at-a-girl" but I have to spread it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-18-2009, 09:30 PM

4,055 posts, read 5,473,890 times
I have a feeling NC will eventually see their population increase level off. Its a nice state, but it does seem to collect so many different types of taxes. The housing is not really all that cheap any longer, so really what is the attraction? Is it just because its cheaper over all than NJ or NY or Fla? If so really how long is that going to last? The method a state chooses to tax its citizens is a major consideration when choosing where one lives so Im curious? I am curious why does NC have so many taxes for this that and everything?

Unread 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM

34,056 posts, read 38,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have a feeling NC will eventually see their population increase level off. Its a nice state, but it does seem to collect so many different types of taxes. The housing is not really all that cheap any longer, so really what is the attraction? Is it just because its cheaper over all than NJ or NY or Fla? If so really how long is that going to last? The method a state chooses to tax its citizens is a major consideration when choosing where one lives so Im curious? I am curious why does NC have so many taxes for this that and everything?
Well - the DEMS in the eastern part of this state - wh/ usually holds the most voting power in the General Assembly - have used taxation as a method to raise money for projects in the eastern part of the state. With Charlotte being the revenue center for the state, the more taxation, the bigger the budget - w/ most of the spoils going to the eastern part of the state.

That may sound over simplistic, but it is how things have worked here for two hundred years, LOL. The eastern part of the state used to have more wealth, b/c of tobacco. Now, Charlotte is the biggest revenue center for the state and the eastern part of the state has less population than the western . . . so you raise taxes and this means the areas w/ the most population and highest per capita income are putting more into the coffers. But the money is unevenly returned back to municipalities . . . wh/ is why Charlotte sits w/ unfinished road projects and burgs in the eastern part of the state have freeways. It is nuts! The only way to overcome this is to have a strong 2 party system here . . . but it seems a lot of newcomers are voting straight DEM tickets . . . so . . . until the public figures it out, this is just the way it is.

Last edited by anifani821; 04-20-2009 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: misspell

Unread 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
I agree, coming from California, when my husband got stationed here we're both making less money and the state taxes, food tax, vehicle tax, subdivision taxes ( which where we live in Peletier off cape carteret is considered a subdivision but they're double wide trailers ha ha!) It's just ridiculous we are ready to go back to California. We made more money and saved alot more. Here its just ridiculous how they rent all the properties and just rape your BAH because the real estate companies know military people are here and that's just wrong! They take all of your BAH and your're stuck with nothing. NC is NOT a favorite among military personnel.

Unread 07-05-2009, 10:31 AM

310 posts, read 322,700 times
Roads? Really? Because the new tire I just had to buy would disagree with that statement. Now, maybe it's because I live in Charlotte and we'd rather construct a subsidized "look at us!" light rail that goes a whole two directions rather than keep our roads smooth and pothole free, but I'm not seeing these great smooth roads other people talk about. In fact, NC has some of the worst roads I've ever driven on. Now, given the fact that I drive a sports sedan outfitted with stiff sidewalled sticky low profile tires, I might feel more of the cracks and bumps than others. So yeah. In this North Carolina resident's opinion (and I've been practically ALL over our great state) I'm going to need a more concrete, reasonable reason why we must live under such crappy tax conditions when compared to our neighbors. Roads and infrastructure. Give me a break

Unread 07-05-2009, 10:56 AM

6,051 posts, read 8,106,615 times
If y'all don't like it, y'all can go back where ya came from!!! Ya come here and then all ya do is complain, complain, complain!!!

(Just kidding.)

A Transplanted Yankee

Unread 07-12-2009, 09:51 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,802,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Mami View Post
I agree, coming from California, when my husband got stationed here we're both making less money and the state taxes, food tax, vehicle tax, subdivision taxes ( which where we live in Peletier off cape carteret is considered a subdivision but they're double wide trailers ha ha!) It's just ridiculous we are ready to go back to California. We made more money and saved alot more. Here its just ridiculous how they rent all the properties and just rape your BAH because the real estate companies know military people are here and that's just wrong! They take all of your BAH and your're stuck with nothing. NC is NOT a favorite among military personnel.

Funny, when I was in Quantico, I knew plenty who couldn't wait to get back to NC. I also know alot of people who decided to stay in NC after getting out of the military. Staying in Cape Carteret, I'm assuming you're stationed at Lejeune. Lejeune BAH, isn't enough to stay in Carteret County. Cherry Point gets theirr BAH rate based off Carteret (even though it's in Craven) and it's the third highest in the state. Still, NC is way cheaper than N. VA.

Unread 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM

34,056 posts, read 38,228,125 times
As someone stated in an earlier post, you have to look at road maintenance and who is responsible for it. The state picks up the tab on many of our roads (rather than the municipalities in which the roads are located).

And for anyone who thinks the roads are horrible here . . . how many states have you driven in? I think more roads are needed (and expansion of existing roads is certainly needed) but as far as maintenance, I have run into (literally) some really bad highways in many other states.

Our Gov is getting ready to raise taxes again, assuming she can convince the General Assembly to go along with it. This time, it looks like another sales tax.

Unread 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM

13,208 posts, read 3,391,210 times
July 12, 2009
A Lesson in Stupid Tax Policy

By Daniel Salvaterra

North Carolina is a state with a huge budget deficit. It is one of the worst state deficits in the nation at $4.6 billion or 21% of the general fund budget for fiscal year 2010. In addition, North Carolina has the 5th worst unemployment rate in the country at 11.1%, and just missed the top 10 lists of the worst states in the country for business (39th here, and 38th here).

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/...ax_policy.html

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-11-2010 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: copyright

Unread 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

310 posts, read 322,700 times
Great article. I'll take a Governor that cheats on his wife over a Governor that raises my taxes even more, all while talking out of both sides of her mouth. Hurry up, moving truck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina