U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,588 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about NC, but am considering moving for health reasons. I deal with pain everyday that is worse with the cold. I do get a laugh over everyone complaining about how small Kinston NC is. It's one of the places I've considered based on size. I currently live in small town Maine. And I mean 1800 people small. And the only thing I enjoy is going to the lake to swim in the summer. It's March and still freezing here, with snow up to my waist, snowbanks even higher. The cold is killing me. And NC sounds so good right now! I've traveled all my life, was in the Air Force, lived in cities and I wouldn't enjoy a place with 200,000+ people. The nearest "city" of any size has only 32,000 people. I'd think a community of 22,000 with a young mayor with parks & rec, pools, water park and beaches just a couple hours away - sounds good to me sitting here in 22 F !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 AM

3,312 posts, read 5,159,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlater64 View Post
I don't know anything about NC, but am considering moving for health reasons. I deal with pain everyday that is worse with the cold. I do get a laugh over everyone complaining about how small Kinston NC is. It's one of the places I've considered based on size. I currently live in small town Maine. And I mean 1800 people small. And the only thing I enjoy is going to the lake to swim in the summer. It's March and still freezing here, with snow up to my waist, snowbanks even higher. The cold is killing me. And NC sounds so good right now! I've traveled all my life, was in the Air Force, lived in cities and I wouldn't enjoy a place with 200,000+ people. The nearest "city" of any size has only 32,000 people. I'd think a community of 22,000 with a young mayor with parks & rec, pools, water park and beaches just a couple hours away - sounds good to me sitting here in 22 F !
The problem with Kinston isn't its size. It is the amount of crime and violent crime. There are plenty of small towns in NC without the crime.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM

272 posts, read 298,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The problem with Kinston isn't its size. It is the amount of crime and violent crime. There are plenty of small towns in NC without the crime.
I was born and raised in Raleigh, lived in Durham, and currently own a house in Fayetteville. I have family from Kinston, I used to go to Kinston every summer as a child. The statements that Kinston has this RAMPANT violent crime is a definite over exaggeration. You claim that there are plenty of small towns without crime..please name FIVE towns without a lick of crime in NC...bet you can't do it. It's 2015, in the United States, crime is EVERYWHERE. I saw a report that Kinston was the 2nd most dangerous city in NC...It doesn't feel like it when I'm there. I still go to Kinston to visit relatives, and I can assure you, that as long as you aren't involved in criminal activities, you shouldn't have a problem in Kinston. They claim that Fayetteville is the 8th most violent place in NC..again I say, as long as you aren't involved in criminal activities, you should be ok.....That goes for any other place in this country.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,780,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
I was born and raised in Raleigh, lived in Durham, and currently own a house in Fayetteville. I have family from Kinston, I used to go to Kinston every summer as a child. The statements that Kinston has this RAMPANT violent crime is a definite over exaggeration. You claim that there are plenty of small towns without crime..please name FIVE towns without a lick of crime in NC...bet you can't do it. It's 2015, in the United States, crime is EVERYWHERE. I saw a report that Kinston was the 2nd most dangerous city in NC...It doesn't feel like it when I'm there. I still go to Kinston to visit relatives, and I can assure you, that as long as you aren't involved in criminal activities, you shouldn't have a problem in Kinston. They claim that Fayetteville is the 8th most violent place in NC..again I say, as long as you aren't involved in criminal activities, you should be ok.....That goes for any other place in this country.
Here's five NC cities of approximately equal size to Kinston (chosen purely at random without any pre-screening) whose violent crime rates are, at worst, about 40% lower than Kinston (12.75 violent crimes per 1,000 residents):

Lexington: 4.58
Chapel Hill: 1.69
N, Wilkesboro: 4.72
Hendersonville: 4.01
Asheboro: 3.28

I'm pretty sure Kinston isn't the second most dangerous city in NC...its number 1!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Here's five NC cities of approximately equal size to Kinston (chosen purely at random without any pre-screening) whose violent crime rates are, at worst, about 40% lower than Kinston (12.75 violent crimes per 1,000 residents):

Lexington: 4.58
Chapel Hill: 1.69
N, Wilkesboro: 4.72
Hendersonville: 4.01
Asheboro: 3.28

I'm pretty sure Kinston isn't the second most dangerous city in NC...its number 1!
While those stats are great to know, you still couldn't meet my challenge!! All of those cities still have crime. List 5 cities that have NO crime, please read my original comment again...The poster said that there are plenty of cities with NO crime, that is unheard of....so AGAIN I ask, list FIVE cities with not a lick of crime AT ALL....thank you

Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
All of those cities still have crime. List 5 cities that have NO crime, please read my original comment again...thank you
I read your post, obviously. And just as obviously, there are no cities in NC with zero crime. Thats not the point...the point is Kinston is in fact a very high crime city, much higher than most NC cities its size. Thats the statement you originally responded to.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 PM

No Sherlock...I responded to this........(The problem with Kinston isn't its size. It is the amount of crime and violent crime. There are plenty of small towns in NC without the crime)
So please name FIVE cities with no crime at all.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Reading is fundamental. The key word is "the"...that implies a comparison, not an absolute. If the poster meant what you are saying he meant, he would have said "There are plenty of small towns without crime". Notice the difference? I'm guessing not...lets see...

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,244,550 times
Eastern NC/Coastal Plain is like the Mississippi Delta of North Carolina. Economically depressed, crime, poverty, etc. This region has seen better days, for sure. Kinston has horrible crime, for one. It's like other towns in Eastern NC like Lumberton and Rocky Mount. Trust me, look away from these areas of NC.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Reading is fundamental. The key word is "the"...that implies a comparison, not an absolute. If the poster meant what you are saying he meant, he would have said "There are plenty of small towns without crime". Notice the difference? I'm guessing not...lets see...
No, the poster would have said, "There are plenty of small towns without high crime." You are right, reading IS fundamental, go back to grammar school, I've already proven my point. I have no need to respond to you anymore after this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina