Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 PM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times

Advertisements

So I was sitting here debating on whether I wanted to write another drunken post or not and determined that despite the numerumrous types and gramatical errors coming forth that it's probably some of my best work. So here goes....

February 28th was the 8 month mark for us being here. Wow, it has flown by.. After 44 years in Massachusetts for me it and with spring being right around the corner this past winter has really been amazing.

....Oops, sorry for the delay, my wife just revealed that she thinks her brother is gay......

Anyway... So after this winter which was not as harsh as most winters here apparently, I've got to tell you guys from up north .... IT WAS AWESOME...

We had snow once, great for the kids until they came home from sledding covered in mud. There's only so much sledding you can do in an inch of snow.. I've been told both ways about this winter. People who want us to stay say it's been colder that usual. People who want us to leave say it's been milder than usual. Only thing that I can recall was that it was mid 60's until christmas last year, then we had a cold snap for um, January, and now March 1st, it's mid 60's again. I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything but when we were living up north I would have had to shovel at least a dozen times by now whether it was an inch or a foot of snow. I was so happy to sell my snowblower I haven't had watering eyes from that bitter cold wind here once yet. I used to make fun of those people in florida in January with the snorkel coats on and it's amazing how quickly you get acclimated to the higher temps. Back in mass, 50 degrees was still speedo weather where here I found myself bundle up in my old winter coat.

So here's what makes me happy about being down here. Tonight was just an regular night, we had no plans and actually I planned on just sitting around and catching up on American Idol. Phone rings it's one neighbor looking to hang out. Wife talks to another neighbor and they're coming over also. People we met a the new bar down the street from us have been looking to hang out and they're coming over too. Kids' friends are here along with dogs, cats, rodents, kangaroos, etc.. It's a regular circus and we love it. If I count all the creatures, big and small that were here tonight I come up with 20 and it was fun. We have our neighbors trained that we we start yawning or my wifey gets rubbing against me, then it's time for everyone to leave. Tonight was a yawning night unfortunately , I hope mostly adults read this forum..

It was almost 60 today, mid 60's tomorrow and our son has his second soccer game on Sunday, the beginning of March.. I can't wait to watch it. For anyone sick of the cold up north and who doesn't want the swelter of Florida in the summer, in my mind, this is as good as it gets. Still 4 seasons but none are too extreme.

I feel really lucky that we picked a neighborhood where the people are similar to us and we can make fun our own selves and it's funny. Probably not everyones cup of tea but I never said I had any class

Back to reality. Part of our reasoning for moving here was to broaden our horizons. We had no reason to move other than to see what it was like, which is not a bad thing.. I know others are moving for jobs, family and friends but we moved just because we wanted to see if we'd like someplace better for the second half of our lives and so far we do. As long as the telephone works and I don't have to talk to my wife for that long ,what could be better. Aww, just kidding of course.

So probably not one of my more humurous posts but if you want funny you can come and see me in person. Shows start evey weeknight when the kids get home from school with their homework and then go until about 10 pm when the top of my head blows off. Kids might not think it's as funny as I do but if you can't keep your sense of humor while your blood pressure if rising then you probably don't want to meet us anyway?

Hey, so who might be interested in a get together? Not tonight but as a suggestion, I was thinking about Tailgaters, right off 77 on exit 23, maybe March 10th? Famliy friendly, decent food and close to the highway.

I'm gonna start a poll for the best meeting place and time, within the next month, where we can go and hang out for a little bit. So how about some suggestions. Highest vote wins. We'll have to set a cutoff date. We could do it at my place but my dogs must sniff all crotches and butts before you'll be allowed in.

Have a great day,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 05:20 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
So I was sitting here debating on whether I wanted to write another drunken post or not and determined that despite the numerumrous types and gramatical errors coming forth that it's probably some of my best work. So here goes....

February 28th was the 8 month mark for us being here. Wow, it has flown by.. After 44 years in Massachusetts for me it and with spring being right around the corner this past winter has really been amazing.

....Oops, sorry for the delay, my wife just revealed that she thinks her brother is gay......

Anyway... So after this winter which was not as harsh as most winters here apparently, I've got to tell you guys from up north .... IT WAS AWESOME...

We had snow once, great for the kids until they came home from sledding covered in mud. There's only so much sledding you can do in an inch of snow.. I've been told both ways about this winter. People who want us to stay say it's been colder that usual. People who want us to leave say it's been milder than usual. Only thing that I can recall was that it was mid 60's until christmas last year, then we had a cold snap for um, January, and now March 1st, it's mid 60's again. I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything but when we were living up north I would have had to shovel at least a dozen times by now whether it was an inch or a foot of snow. I was so happy to sell my snowblower I haven't had watering eyes from that bitter cold wind here once yet. I used to make fun of those people in florida in January with the snorkel coats on and it's amazing how quickly you get acclimated to the higher temps. Back in mass, 50 degrees was still speedo weather where here I found myself bundle up in my old winter coat.

So here's what makes me happy about being down here. Tonight was just an regular night, we had no plans and actually I planned on just sitting around and catching up on American Idol. Phone rings it's one neighbor looking to hang out. Wife talks to another neighbor and they're coming over also. People we met a the new bar down the street from us have been looking to hang out and they're coming over too. Kids' friends are here along with dogs, cats, rodents, kangaroos, etc.. It's a regular circus and we love it. If I count all the creatures, big and small that were here tonight I come up with 20 and it was fun. We have our neighbors trained that we we start yawning or my wifey gets rubbing against me, then it's time for everyone to leave. Tonight was a yawning night unfortunately , I hope mostly adults read this forum..

It was almost 60 today, mid 60's tomorrow and our son has his second soccer game on Sunday, the beginning of March.. I can't wait to watch it. For anyone sick of the cold up north and who doesn't want the swelter of Florida in the summer, in my mind, this is as good as it gets. Still 4 seasons but none are too extreme.

I feel really lucky that we picked a neighborhood where the people are similar to us and we can make fun our own selves and it's funny. Probably not everyones cup of tea but I never said I had any class

Back to reality. Part of our reasoning for moving here was to broaden our horizons. We had no reason to move other than to see what it was like, which is not a bad thing.. I know others are moving for jobs, family and friends but we moved just because we wanted to see if we'd like someplace better for the second half of our lives and so far we do. As long as the telephone works and I don't have to talk to my wife for that long ,what could be better. Aww, just kidding of course.

So probably not one of my more humurous posts but if you want funny you can come and see me in person. Shows start evey weeknight when the kids get home from school with their homework and then go until about 10 pm when the top of my head blows off. Kids might not think it's as funny as I do but if you can't keep your sense of humor while your blood pressure if rising then you probably don't want to meet us anyway?

Hey, so who might be interested in a get together? Not tonight but as a suggestion, I was thinking about Tailgaters, right off 77 on exit 23, maybe March 10th? Famliy friendly, decent food and close to the highway.

I'm gonna start a poll for the best meeting place and time, within the next month, where we can go and hang out for a little bit. So how about some suggestions. Highest vote wins. We'll have to set a cutoff date. We could do it at my place but my dogs must sniff all crotches and butts before you'll be allowed in.

Have a great day,

Mark
Well count us in as i have read enough of your silly posts and i must meet the man behind this screen. LOve your sense of humor!!
Whats interesting Mark is we moved at "midlife" for some similar reasons.Interesting

Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Well count us in as i have read enough of your silly posts and i must meet the man behind this screen. LOve your sense of humor!!
Whats interesting Mark is we moved at "midlife" for some similar reasons.Interesting

I think NCMom (formely NJMom) will say "yeah right...", get together...actually might happen since Spring is virtually here.

Nice update...

Mike

Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,108 times
The cold, snowy, neverending winter here in Vermont is exactly why we are looking to move to NC. Any views on the best area? We have two young children, i am a preschool teacher and the hubby is a landscaper/ salesperson/1sg in the guards, jack of all trades. We were looking at the Watauga area. Ps. your drunken english is pretty good!

Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:

Have a great day,

Mark

ROTFLOL!!! It's been 6 mths for us & I agree, the time has flown by!! We made the move for very similar reasons as well. Don't regret it for a minute. Ah..the weather...I think I missed the snow for maybe 5 mins. when we had our big "snow day", then I snapped back to reality. My dog was the one that really missed it. He was crying by the door, wanting to run out & play & make angels in the snow. No degree would be speedo weather for me...that's a sight that would make children (& most adults) run away screaming in fright. I think I wore my winter coat maybe 4x's, didn't have to shovel snow once, this is a winter I can get use to easily.

Count me in as well! I'd love to get together to meet everyone!

BxRosie

Old 03-03-2007, 12:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
Been a year for us.. .a tad over and I agree 100% about the weather and all the friends we made down here. Its been a great year and I wouldn't move back to NJ for anything.

Linda

Old 03-03-2007, 01:44 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,315 times
I remember your posts when you first went down, and appreciate your update. I'm very happy for you guys that everyone is doing well.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
...Hey, so who might be interested in a get together? Not tonight but as a suggestion, I was thinking about Tailgaters, right off 77 on exit 23, maybe March 10th? Famliy friendly, decent food and close to the highway.

Have a great day,

Mark
How will we know you? Broken shovel? Galoshes? Patriots hat?

Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I'm in.....

Old 03-03-2007, 08:31 PM
tpr

17 posts, read 89,703 times
march 3rd and was doing yard work and cutting the grass.it almost seems un natural. came down from mass. last sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina