Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,125,099 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I pretty much covered it all in the thread title, but here's the story:

As I'm getting ready for my second Christmas here in Charlotte, I finally got around to getting a shiny new North Carolina license plate - and the registration to match! So nice to be legal. I feel like such a Charlottean! (Charlotter? Charlottorean? Charlottander?) So what to do with my old Michigan plate? I don't have a garage. Can I mount it on the front of my car, or is this just asking for trouble? And by "trouble", I mean "a ticket".

Old 12-22-2008, 04:57 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Well, I guess I pretty much covered it all in the thread title, but here's the story:

As I'm getting ready for my second Christmas here in Charlotte, I finally got around to getting a shiny new North Carolina license plate - and the registration to match! So nice to be legal. I feel like such a Charlottean! (Charlotter? Charlottorean? Charlottander?) So what to do with my old Michigan plate? I don't have a garage. Can I mount it on the front of my car, or is this just asking for trouble? And by "trouble", I mean "a ticket".
Hang the old plate on your wall at home, but not the car.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,319,328 times
lol! Just got new plates Thursday. I have been agonizing over personalized plates ever since (have not ordered yet - INMYMIND is not available). My car has a big ugly license plate bracket on the front bumper, so I mounted a plate we received from our subdivision. The old NJ plate is going in the garage.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,087,438 times
Seems like I checked into this myself when I moved back here, cause my Kansas personalized tag was soooo neat . . .NCBelle . . . but I was told - nope. Can't use an old license tag on the front. Unless someone has changed the rules, I would not do it.

Of course, you can always do it and see if HP pulls you over . . .

Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM

124 posts, read 467,118 times
As far as I know you can put any kind of plate on the front of your car you want to. In North Carolina the only plate that matters is what's on the back.
I run an old NC vanity plate on my pickup and an old ham call plate on my
wife's car, they've been there for years, through many license check points
and no one has ever said a word.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
I'm surprised the State of Michigan doesn't require their license plates to be returned.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,515,315 times
I would check with the NC DMV...but I would say....NO!

I would check before assuming...we all know how that can turn out.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
I would say yes since the tag office sells non real plates to put on the front

Old 12-22-2008, 05:40 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,718,267 times
LOL, I was just wondering the same thing! I just got my NC plates today after a few weeks of hoop-jumping and general goat-ropery... But since they don't have organ donor awareness plates here, I wanted to keep my IL plates on the front!

I think here it may not be a big deal, but what if you drive in a state that uses front plates? If I did that and drove my car to Illinois they could see the front plates and not notice the back and give a ticket for no registration.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,125,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Ron View Post
As far as I know you can put any kind of plate on the front of your car you want to. In North Carolina the only plate that matters is what's on the back.
I run an old NC vanity plate on my pickup and an old ham call plate on my
wife's car, they've been there for years, through many license check points
and no one has ever said a word.
This seems to jibe with what my common sense tells me, mainly because people seem to put just about anything on the front. BUT, on the other hand, license plates are there for identification purposes and instead of this just being like a college logo or something, it's an actual plate from another state, which could cause problems if someone ever needs to identify my vehicle while I'm fleeing after robbing a bank. Or something.

Guess I'll go look at the ol' lawbooks. I was being lazy. Hoping someone else would just link me to a law that said "o hay, put anything you want on the front. we don't mind."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina