U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 03:51 PM

219 posts, read 788,152 times

Advertisements

Okay NCer's what the hay do I have to do to switch my Drivers License when I move. I hear I have to pass a test.
Hey, I'm not the swiftest bugger around. Please don't tell me I have to do essay thingys.
Also, I have a 1997 F150 and a 2001 Ford Taurus.
What am I looking at for taxes on those two babys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 03:55 PM

435 posts, read 1,675,073 times
From the NC DMV website
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/ (broken link)
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/
Hope this helps you out

Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,638,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Okay NCer's what the hay do I have to do to switch my Drivers License when I move. I hear I have to pass a test.
Hey, I'm not the swiftest bugger around. Please don't tell me I have to do essay thingys.
Also, I have a 1997 F150 and a 2001 Ford Taurus.
What am I looking at for taxes on those two babys?
The yearly property tax would be whatever the rate is for your county. If you choose to live within the city limits of a municipality, there will be an additional property tax.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:18 PM

136 posts, read 703,802 times
The driving test is multiple choice. I believe 30 questions. Then theres a sign test. You look into the screen they give you a shape of a sign.. and you tell them what the sign is. And what you do. If you struggle.. they help you. I struggled on one,the girl helped me.

We had to take it as transplants from Jersey. Since I am a teenager, I had recently taken the Jersey driving test.. I got a 96 on that test.

I got an 80 on the Carolina test without studying.. I passed. You need an 80 or better to pass. It's not too bad. You can request a book. Know the signs and you'll be okay.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 PM

57 posts, read 146,561 times
hey its not that hard to pass and sometimes you dont have to take the whole thing it depends on how old your lic is and when it expires. the tax is not all that much . it cost me to change my wife and i plus plates for a 2001 f 350, a 98 harley (flht),2003 expadtion, hope your sitting down 1000.00 in one day. so be ready to go for some money when you go for plates is when you pay for you road use tax.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,025,984 times
Yeah, I agree, the test is pretty easy. Like they say, just know the signs like Divided Highway and Railroad Crossing. You will need positive ID in addition to your old drivers license. Positive ID would be a SS card or marriage certificate.

The tags aren't that bad and the personal property tax is Kelly Blue Book at local property tax rate. I have a '92 Mustang, '95 F-150 and a '05 Cobalt and the whole bill was around $200.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM

543 posts, read 1,633,539 times
The drivers ed book is online on the dmv site. Read it and you'll be fine. I did the test and got one wrong, the fine for littering. There are also a couple of 'sample' tests floating around the net but you wouldn't want to cheat would you?

Old 03-05-2007, 06:21 AM

293 posts, read 865,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
The drivers ed book is online on the dmv site. Read it and you'll be fine. I did the test and got one wrong, the fine for littering. There are also a couple of 'sample' tests floating around the net but you wouldn't want to cheat would you?

I just took the test last week and got one wrong also. There's 25 questions and you can get 5 wrong (union county). You have the option to skip any questions that you are not sure of. So if you have any doubts, skip it! Most of the questions are easy. There's actually a sample test on the DMV website. When we got our tags, it cost about $475.00 for an '04 cadillac CTS & an '02 avalanche(that includes the one-time fee for the highway use tax). I was told that we would get a bill in the mail in about 3 months for the property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina