U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,178,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
You really can't compare the 2 (Charlotte & Durham)...they are no where similar in size...Charlotte is the size of Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill put together (population).
That's for sure! I enjoy visiting family out in Charlotte. I almost moved out there a couple years ago. But b/c of traffic I couldn't bring myself to do it. I can't even stand the traffic in Raleigh. Just one reason why I love Durham Definitely check all your options out. You may like the feel of one over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,536,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
That's for sure! I enjoy visiting family out in Charlotte. I almost moved out there a couple years ago. But b/c of traffic I couldn't bring myself to do it. I can't even stand the traffic in Raleigh. Just one reason why I love Durham Definitely check all your options out. You may like the feel of one over the other.
Traffic here does suck...but Light Rail opened Nov 24, 2007. Nov 24 was our 1 year anniversary for Light Rail and a little over 5 million people rode it the 1st year. Only 1 line is open now (South line)...but they are already working on the 2nd line (NorthEast line) and planning the 3rd line (North line)...there will be about 5 lines or so when finished. Will take years and millions of dollars.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 11,838,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You asked about Raleigh and then you switched to Durham so I will give you the crime rates for the three towns. All this can be found under the information for the towns at City-Data.com. Just click on it and put in the city or town you are checking on.

United States average crime rate is 320.9
Latest information on the three towns you mentioned:
Charlotte 648
Raleigh 339
Durham 567.1
New York City 254
I don't believe the size of the town or city has anything to do with the amount of crime. The biggest problem in Charlotte is the court system. There was a little girl abducted some time this year and the person who did it should not have been on the street because he had been arrested multiple times. I could tell the police chief was angry when he went on TV to tell about this. The news channels have started reporting people who have been arrested and how many times. One person who ended up killing someone the other day had been arrested 20 times. If they would put these people away the crime rate would go down considerably and at least one life would have been saved.

That there are areas without crime is just not true. I have heard of rapes during the day in Myers Park homes, etc. You either get tough on crime or it will remain. I would be willing to pay higher taxes for more courts and jails and prisons in order to feel more safe. Crime should not be tolerated anywhere in the city and when that attitude takes hold the situation will change. The more you tolerate crime, the more it spills over into other areas. I live in the next county so I would really like for Charlotte to clean up its crime problem. I would go shopping more there if I felt safe.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 AM

4,819 posts, read 5,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
You really can't compare the 2 (Charlotte & Durham)...they are no where similar in size...Charlotte is the size of Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill put together (population).
Dude, I would give you reps for this one, but I have to spread my reps first LOL!!!

I think the Triangle/Charlotte comparisons are done by folks that HAVE NOT seen both areas in person or folks in the Triangle that wish to measure their area up to Charlotte. Either way, both are great areas, but hardly comparable. I suggest visiting both, staying a few days in each, and making your decision based on your trip. "Big city" lovers will choose Charlotte hands down. Smaller town lovers will choose the Triangle hands down.

Actually, Charlotte is almost the population of Raleigh, Durham, and CARY put together!!! 730,000 to Charlotte's 685,000.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:19 AM

2,447 posts, read 4,600,741 times
An interesting article - James calls for lawsuit against state

Quote:
"Suing the state for violating the constitutional rights of Mecklenburg County citizens is an alternative that needs to be considered," James said.

James says there are continued problems with repeat offenders because the state has failed to provide adequate resources to the county’s justice system. The suit says the mismanagement and malpractice makes it unlikely that citizens of Mecklenburg County will receive justice for crimes committed against them.

He wants to use $2 million to add more assistant district attorneys and judges, but says the money has been put on hold by the administrative office of courts.

"I think if we take that action, we'll be successful," James said. "I'd rather not take the action. I'd rather find another way, because it is expensive."
No one is saying that Charlotte is crime free. There are people who don't feel comfortable living here but there are over 600,000 who do. No place is right for everyone. I second (third?, fourth?) the idea of doing research and then visit each area to see which is a better fit. Of course the job market will be a big factor in your friend's decision.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 AM

883 posts, read 1,365,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Dude, I would give you reps for this one, but I have to spread my reps first LOL!!!

I think the Triangle/Charlotte comparisons are done by folks that HAVE NOT seen both areas in person or folks in the Triangle that wish to measure their area up to Charlotte. Either way, both are great areas, but hardly comparable. I suggest visiting both, staying a few days in each, and making your decision based on your trip. "Big city" lovers will choose Charlotte hands down. Smaller town lovers will choose the Triangle hands down.

Actually, Charlotte is almost the population of Raleigh, Durham, and CARY put together!!! 730,000 to Charlotte's 685,000.
UrbanCharlotte you act as if Charlotte is some nice little compact 685,000 people city. It's 300 sq miles. Central Charlotte is bustling and becoming more urban everyday, there is no disputing that. Urban city wise Charlotte>Raleigh. Metro wise, the Triangle, and the Charlotte metro aren't that much different in size.

I will say this though, Charlotte's leaders don't just sit on their ***** when it comes to ambition and taking action towards seeing their city rise towards greatness. Raleigh is still caught in the paradigm of becoming a large city, and being waaaaaaaaaay too fiscally conservative. Every project gets scaled back here.

You're last paragraph is actually correct. Ironically all three of those areas in the Triangle put together still does not add up to Charlotte's 300 sq miles.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 AM

21,809 posts, read 38,317,134 times
man I got this great spaceship I could sell you guys.
You guys are smart but please be respectful of the original poster and post ONLY that subject
WHILE AMAZING

Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 AM

549 posts, read 1,095,023 times
When people talk about "Charlotte" they're usually not just talking about Charlotte proper but all of Mecklenburg county and even the adjacent counties. Now, when people talk about "Durham" they're generally talking strictly about the area within the city limits of Durham. Areas in Durham county (Bahama, Rougemont, parts of Chapel Hill, etc) are usually referred to by name. Why am I pointing this out? Because crime is probably equally bad within the city limits of Durham and Charlotte but Durham seems worse because the public perception of Durham doesn't include the 'burbs.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM

414 posts, read 848,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
New York City 254
I don't believe the size of the town or city has anything to do with the amount of crime. The biggest problem in Charlotte is the court system. There was a little girl abducted some time this year and the person who did it should not have been on the street because he had been arrested multiple times. I could tell the police chief was angry when he went on TV to tell about this. The news channels have started reporting people who have been arrested and how many times. One person who ended up killing someone the other day had been arrested 20 times. If they would put these people away the crime rate would go down considerably and at least one life would have been saved.

That there are areas without crime is just not true. I have heard of rapes during the day in Myers Park homes, etc. You either get tough on crime or it will remain. I would be willing to pay higher taxes for more courts and jails and prisons in order to feel more safe. Crime should not be tolerated anywhere in the city and when that attitude takes hold the situation will change. The more you tolerate crime, the more it spills over into other areas. I live in the next county so I would really like for Charlotte to clean up its crime problem. I would go shopping more there if I felt safe.
Welcome to America my friend. If you think this is just a Charlotte problem, then you have had your head in the sand....please come up for air so you don't suffocate.

You would go to Charlotte for shopping if you felt safe? Wow!

Just curious, what county do you live in?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,536,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
UrbanCharlotte you act as if Charlotte is some nice little compact 685,000 people city. It's 300 sq miles. Central Charlotte is bustling and becoming more urban everyday, there is no disputing that. Urban city wise Charlotte>Raleigh. Metro wise, the Triangle, and the Charlotte metro aren't that much different in size.

I will say this though, Charlotte's leaders don't just sit on their ***** when it comes to ambition and taking action towards seeing their city rise towards greatness. Raleigh is still caught in the paradigm of becoming a large city, and being waaaaaaaaaay too fiscally conservative. Every project gets scaled back here.

You're last paragraph is actually correct. Ironically all three of those areas in the Triangle put together still does not add up to Charlotte's 300 sq miles.
2 words for you guys in Raleigh....

Impeach Meeker!

We (Charlotte) have a wonderful mayor (and I am a Democrat) that wants Charlotte to grow & prosper...not sit stale like Raleigh.

Raleigh is behind times. Why don't you guys have Light Rail even started yet? Charlotte's has been open for 1 year (South line) and they are working on their 2nd line (NorthEast line) and already planning their 3rd line (North line). There will be about 5 lines when finished. Will take years & millions of dollars...but at least we have started.

Raleigh is a nice smaller city...but very very conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina