U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 20 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,374 posts, read 4,683,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I guess it just depends on how big the individual county's tax base is. I'm sure some counties can't afford any supplement above the state's base pay of $26,260.

Well I guess those union county taxes are low for a reason!

Old 06-17-2006, 01:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,330,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Well I guess those union county taxes are low for a reason!
You're right. It's kind of like the old motor racing saying, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go"? Ain't nuthing free!

Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 AM

76 posts, read 310,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
That's interesting because I am coming to NC to teach and I only will be making $32, 000 a year with a master's degree and to have a spouse and child on my benefits will be an additional $500 a month. Doesn't sound too good to me. I am doing it because I love teaching, but I certainly won't have an easy time supporting my family on that lousy salary and an insult of a benefit package. Unless you have been a teacher, no one realizes all of the extra time and your own money you put into your profession with a poor salary. Teachers making over $60K are near retirement and have been working 20+ years. It is about time states start rewarding teachers. Don't forget we are spending a huge amount of time with your children and having disgruntled people influencing your children is a crime.
Not to mention the HUGE amount of money we spend! Speaking of....the teacher store in Concrod Mills Mall is the only one I have found in the area. Is there another one somewhere? I buy a few things every couple weeks in the summer to space it out yet have enough before school starts. I left SO much in my class in OK because I was leaving mid year and didn't want to strip the room for the sake of the kids- I also didn't remember exactly what I purchased with my money and what I purchased with PTO money so when in doubt, I left it. It set the new teacher up great though!

So I am back to buying all the wall decor again. This time I will clearly label everything I purchase.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:55 AM

76 posts, read 310,453 times
Quote:
I guess I'm surprised union county last...
My understanding is that Union may have the lowest supplement but they have the best "working conditions." That is worth quite a bit...

Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,926 times
Teachers on average start here around 28K a year and it takes more than a decade to climb to 40K in most counties. The teachers are underpaid over utilized, unappreciated.

They also have more work cut out for them because this state special education population far exceeds the national average.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 20 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,374 posts, read 4,683,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iepadvocate
Teachers on average start here around 28K a year and it takes more than a decade to climb to 40K in most counties. The teachers are underpaid over utilized, unappreciated.

They also have more work cut out for them because this state special education population far exceeds the national average.
Well I will ask a naive question. What is a good starting salary for a teacher with a BA and MA and no experience? How about one with 10 years experience? What would the teachers here on this forum feel would be a fair starting salary?

Hopefully it doesn't come across as sarcasm, it's not, I honestly would like to know what would make it a "great" opportunity.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:08 PM
gmb

45 posts, read 199,566 times
Quote:
Well I will ask a naive question. What is a good starting salary for a teacher with a BA and MA and no experience? How about one with 10 years experience? What would the teachers here on this forum feel would be a fair starting salary?

Hopefully it doesn't come across as sarcasm, it's not, I honestly would like to know what would make it a "great" opportunity.
I am new to the state, but I have a master's degree and 3 years of experience and I am starting at $32K. I was making $10K more in the state I am leaving, but the cost of living is so high there, it seems better to be making less in NC. My student loan is more than my yearly salary, so I will be paying off my degrees until I retire!!! I guess I get defensive by people's lack of understanding about the obstacles teachers face on a daily basis and assume our "summers off" more than make up for our low salary. Well, I don't know too many teachers who actually get a summer off because most of us have to get a second job. The other thing that irks me is we are required to earn a degree, credential and pass numerous tests that cost money (as we should since we are teaching your children!) but we aren't compensated for all of our effort and education like other professions. As I stated above, it will take about 30 years to pay off my loan. Most of us go into the teaching profession not for the "great monetary opportunity" but the personal fulfillment and rewarding feeling we get from helping children. Most of us adore children and would rather have them as our customer/client base. It is just a shame that we can't make a bit more to actually be able to support our own families. We tend to make less than any other profession that requires our degrees and specialization, that is my main gripe. We are paid about what a store clerk earns in retail with only a high school diploma. It is hard to get good, qualified teachers because many talented people can't afford to make the sacrifices teaching requires. It is a problem when the main people affected are innocent children. They deserve strong, devoted, educated teachers.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM

As Miker asked, if you had the power to set the starting salary for a certified public school teacher with a BA and no professional teaching experience, what would it be? In North Carolina, of course.

I know what you mean about degrees and pay. I used to work at a government biomedical research facility in Maryland and knew many employees with doc. degrees, post-doc experience and a few publications in peer-reviewed journals making a lot less money than the folks in the Personnel Office.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-17-2006 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM

285 posts, read 785,508 times
Default Well said

"It is hard to get good, qualified teachers because many talented people can't afford to make the sacrifices teaching requires. It is a problem when the main people affected are innocent children. They deserve strong, devoted, educated teachers"

All children deserve highly qualified and competent teachers. We should pay them more to attract the quality and quantity needed to do the job.
Many people are drawn to the profession for the wrong reasons. Let's make it so that our teachers are paid so well that they can't afford NOT to teach. It would pay for itself in savings with lower turnover and student success.
We have many excellent teachers in our schools, but like in any walk of life, we also have teachers that bring down the profession. I am speaking of those with poor communication skills, anger management problems, ineffective classroom management skills, and poor teaching methods.
Just this year one of my children's teachers got so frustrated with a class of students that she told them to "go and hang themselves"........nice.... huh? No point in reporting her, nothing would come of it. This is but one example of the misconduct that is tolerated in a system that embraces all sorts of misconduct on the part of teachers.
For all of the good teachers in the world, thank you for all you do for our children. You deserve more pay.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:29 PM

As Miker asked, if you had the power to set the starting salary for a certified public school teacher with a BA and no professional teaching experience, what would it be? In North Carolina, of course. Let's hear some numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina