Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 101,674 times

Advertisements

May seem to be a strange question, but I know some areas of the US
are less religion-oriented therefore one who was agnostic/atheistic
wouldn't feel as out of place.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Bigger cities of course are where this is not just tolerated...but accepted as no big deal. Raleigh (city proper), Durham, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro in particular are known to be contrary to the bible-belt norm, as well as the urban core of Asheville.
Suburbs and rural areas, unfortunately, I couldn't say the same about.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
I think as long as you don't go around yammering about it to everybody you meet you'll be alright. I've been here for 9 months and I've only been approached twice about joining a particular church. I've also noticed that there are a lot of empty parking spaces at the local churches on Sundays. Talk is cheap.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:05 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think as long as you don't go around yammering about it to everybody you meet you'll be alright. I've been here for 9 months and I've only been approached twice about joining a particular church. I've also noticed that there are a lot of empty parking spaces at the local churches on Sundays. Talk is cheap.
Not around my parts...Church parking lots are constantly over filled on Sundays and most churches are adding on to their buildings and parking spaces.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschoolingfam View Post
May seem to be a strange question, but I know some areas of the US
are less religion-oriented therefore one who was agnostic/atheistic
wouldn't feel as out of place.

Thanks!

This is what you do. After you move in, and the local villagers discover you sat out of church, leave town. Typically the towns folk arrive with lanterns and pitch forks around midnight, so if you can skip out of town before then you should be ok. When you come back to town, simply explain that you were on vacation and attended church elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
Not around my parts...Church parking lots are constantly over filled on Sundays and most churches are adding on to their buildings and parking spaces.
Well, I guess we could say that to the east of 95 is a little more tolerant then.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,668 times
If you want a place where you don't have to be quietly agnostic, Chapel Hill would be great for you. That's where I live and I'm agnostic/atheist. No one would care at all if you go to church or worship hedgehogs or anything else. No one in this town has ever asked me about church, and most people I know do not go and are not religious.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM

251 posts, read 1,142,885 times
I think from the tone of some posts here it's highly questionable whether Christians are tolerated.

I guess if an agnostic doesn't try to shove his own persuasion down a Christian's throat, then he won't get pitchforked too much in the South.

Carolina Native, great posts! I enjoy your sense of humor.

Sometimes about all you can do is laugh.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 AM

122 posts, read 456,900 times
Default Good question

We have also been playing with the homeschool idea, but have been thwarted by the support groups that are mostly religion based. I understand the beginnings of homeschool was for religious reasons, but now more and more of us that don't share the sentiment are having problems. I have found that if I stay in the closet about my lack of belief and am ready to not voice any thoughts that I have, I can get along alright. I have also found that for the most part, people aren't too pushy and I have a list of pat answers that I deliver with kindness because they are just being welcoming. I'm babbling. Ditto on the bigger cities and small enclaves hidden in the outlying areas. PM me if wanna chat.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 AM

31 posts, read 101,674 times
Thank you all for the replies.
My question was asked with the intention of finding areas where ANY
belief wouldn't be imposed on another person.
Non-acceptance/tolerance and violence are very different in my opinion
whether disguised as humor or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina