Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 AM

13 posts, read 58,407 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have tips on the best way to tackle the DMV? Or, can you share your DMV experiences in the Raleigh area?

We've recently relocated from CA and have 2 vehicles. I'm told that there's one office for the driver's license and yet another for the license plate. And, it seems that they are only open on the week days.

How does anybody get this taken care of within the 30-60 days allotted without pulling our their hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Shhh. We've been driving around with out-of-state plates for 7 months now.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2NC View Post
Does anybody have tips on the best way to tackle the DMV? Or, can you share your DMV experiences in the Raleigh area?

We've recently relocated from CA and have 2 vehicles. I'm told that there's one office for the driver's license and yet another for the license plate. And, it seems that they are only open on the week days.

How does anybody get this taken care of within the 30-60 days allotted without pulling our their hair?
You take a half day off work and spend an hour or two so doing it.

Best bet, go in the morning or just after lunch, though the last time I went to the license plate office it only took me 45 mintues in later afternoon (whwn many folks are off work) and they were very busy.

Getting your driver's license can take a few hours...so bring a good book to read while you sit there. (Actually, my husband and I went the same day....we played scrabble on his PDA!)

Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 AM

60 posts, read 288,239 times
I went to the DMV drivers license, a little before opening in the morning. There was small line to get in, about 5-6 people. I was in and out in less than an hour.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
For license tag office, I've usually gone to the one in Holly Park shopping center, on Wake Forest Road, just inside the beltline. Have, at most, spent 20 min there. Usually less.

For DMV driver's license, I usually go to the one on Avent Ferry Road. At worst, I've been in and out in an hour. Usually less.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM

13 posts, read 58,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Shhh. We've been driving around with out-of-state plates for 7 months now.
Thank you all for your suggestions. It's been about 5 months since we got here, and I just haven't found the time to get to the DMV. But, it sounds like some locations are easier than others.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I went to the Cary driver license office (by the Amtrak) and was there maybe an hour. You have to take a knowledge test, get your picture taken, etc., so it took longer than my license plate transactions.

For my plates I went to the license plate office thats in an older mall in Cary. I was truly *amazed* at how quickly I was in and out. In Virginia DMW was a 3 hour experience, no matter what (and sometimes longer). I'd say I was done with my tags for two cars in 30-45 minutes. I probably went mid-morning both times, and the lines weren't long and moved quickly.

I can't speak to other states but I can say that the NC DMV is light years ahead of the VA one in ease of use and customer service. No contest whatsoever.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Thumbs up it's not as difficult as it sounds

I did all this last month...I relocated from Long Island here and tackled DMV in January. It was a lengthy process, but was able to accomplish it in one afternoon. The first thing I did was obtain NC auto insurance...I saved about $600.00...this is with a clean driving record...then a few days later I chose to go to the Wake Forest DMV locations...one is the drivers license bureau...this is where you will do your testing and obtain your license...I walked in, showed identification, 2 forms, I used Birth Certificate and a Bank Statement, and my NY Drivers License, got called, took the sign test, then took a computer test 20 questions, passed, wrote a check for the license fee, waited to take my picture, then was issued my NC drivers license...took that over to the registration office about a mile away in Wake Forest, showed my license, paid about $225 to register the car...think it was taxes and the plate fee...it's still all a blur...got my plate...went over to the dealership to have my car inspected...(I only allow the dealer to touch my car) they put my new sticker on...came home, took my NY plates off...contacted my Insurance agent in NY...she told me where to mail my NY plates too, sent those return receipt, received a release form showing I surrendered my plates in NY...cancelled my NY Insurance...received a small refund...not alot...now I am fully licensed/registered/insured in NC...I drove around about 3 months with NY plates here...glad this is over with...I am still waiting for a tax bill...I think we are taxed on the vehicle's value...not sure...I am sure I will be surprised one day at the mailbox...I will have to go back in a few months to do an address change...hopefully that won't be lengthy...but all in all it wasn't that bad...time consuming...yes...but not bad...and the people at DMV in Wake Forest were very nice...a big change from NY DMV...lol

Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Although I am a native here, I had a little "oops" and as embarrassing as this is, my license was expired for 2 years before I noticed, and I didn't even notice it, the lawyer closing on our house did...............Anyhow, I ended up having to not only take the written test, but also the DRIVING test. The advice on the wait that the people working there gave me was to find the closest "out of the way" dmv office. So, instead of me going to the bigger office on capital blvd (which was a 3 hour wait regardless of when you showed up) I went to the office in louisberg, which was no wait! So, check out the different locations and find one that may take you a little longer to drive to but in the long run will help!

And, my sister moved to nc from nh in june, and they did their plates right away, but they are both still driving with their nh licenses.

Oh, if you need hints on the driving test, just ask!!!!! I am kidding, you don't have to take it.

Leigh

Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM

38 posts, read 145,444 times
Question DMV/Recent Relocation

Does anyone know why you have to go to two seperate (but very related) offices to take care of driving related issues? It just doesn't make sense. Why haven't the NC DMV merged the two? It's like killing two birds with one stone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina