Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,948 times

Advertisements

The people working with Centralized Service are good, decent workers trying to do the best job they can. It's just that the system is sometimes complicated to work with.

Having a third party be the go-between in setting up appointments - leaving the client's realtor out for the most part - is a real hassle for the homeowner.

I've had phone calls from CS setting up two appts. in one day and then only one realtor shows up. Turns out only one realtor had called to begin with. Now I'm writing down the name and realty company for every single appt. so that won't happen again.

We asked CS to give us 2 hours lead time and to let realtors know we need that amount of notice before showing our home. We still get calls with realtors wanting to see our home sooner than that. And when I ask CS to tell the realtor we can do it only 30 minutes earlier, they have to call the realtor, and it takes going back and forth before everyone finally settles on a time.

We keep getting people who aren't aware of certain specifics about our home too.

Is there a screaming emoticon somewhere on this board??????

I've heard other people don't like the way this is set up either. Does anyone else have either negatives or positives to share? Or has anyone figured out good ways to finagle around the hassles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I've been an agent for a number of years so I remember when, as an agent, I had to call 5 companies to set up 5 appointments! It was no fun.

My suggestion to you as far as having the 2 hour notice is to make sure your agent has put that into the MLS. I get rather annoyed when I pull up my showings to make the appointments, get them in order and call to make the appointments and THEN I'm told about the 2 hour notice.

Also...sometimes while out with buyers, they'll change their mind about a particular home and want to see the one next door. Well if that happens to be yours and I call CSS to make the appointment and you are not at home, do I still need to give you a 2 hour notice? If so, then just explain that it can't be shown now.

Sorry for the inconveniences but sometimes being a seller isn't as much fun as being a buyer!

Vicki

Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 PM

LOL! Thanks for your wisdom as a realtor, Vicki.

I think being both a seller and a buyer is the worst.

Being the realtor is hard work too - like fishing. Some bite and some don't. That's gotta be hard at times. Takes a lot of perseverence.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:26 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times
CSS is the best thing that ever happened to the real estate business. Two hours is quite a lead time, one hour would be more realistic if you can do it because the previous poster said, it's easier to come back in an hour if we're riding a buyer around and they happen to see the sign. Or, we have it on our list as a "drive-by" and the people get palpitations, and want "in".

In some cities, states, the listing agent has to meet the selling agent at each and every property --- or even worse -- pick up a key and take it back to the listing office. With all that running around, it puts the seller and the buyer at a big disadvantage.

You get so many more showings through CSS than you would ever get in the old system, and your home will be exposed to many more clients than ever before. I know it's a hassle to keep the house ready for showing, especially if you have pets and young children. But the time difference is to the seller's advantage always.

Hang in there ! Just keep the bed made.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 PM

In some cities, states, the listing agent has to meet the selling agent at each and every property.

That seems a lot safer to me and I guess that since I'm not a desperate seller, I would appreciate that feeling of security.

With Centralized Showing there are so many people working the phones that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Or at least, that's been my experience so far.

Btw, what is the typical amount of time most buyers take to view a home? 15 minutes? 30? An hour? Two hours?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times
Skip, it's hard to say the average time most people take to look at a home. Probably on average would be about 20 minutes or so. Then, of course, if it is a large home, many rooms, many levels etc., the time would be proportionately longer. Some people like to take the lead and walk through, others like to have every single cupboard and door opened and a bazillion questions only to find out they're not interested. lol! Some want to look quickly as a process of elimination.

The time they take looking at the house is really no indication of how interested they are. It could have to do with the time and distance between homes, and whether they are savvy buyers or newbies. Many folks don't let on to the Realtor if they are interested or not; some just go in, don't really give us any signs either way. With a couple, husband and wife etc., we try to listen to what they say and how they look at each other to get a reading.

A second showing is the best indication after the buyer has narrowed it down to the ones they are interested in.

I get a kick out of HGTV's House Hunters. It seems like they look at three, and wham ... decision time. That's not how it goes ... you may be interested to know, more important than the time they spend looking at the house, is that the majority of serious buyers take at least 3 days, and look at an average of 20 to 25 properties before choosing the one for them.

Sorry to hear you're not satisfied with the CSS; because 99% of the Realtors think it is great. There will be a glitch now and then, nothing is perfect. But for the most part, they are extremely courteous, everything is done by computer -- and when the Realtor gets done for the day, or the next morning, he/she fills out the "feedback" form which they can set up for you to receive a copy so you know the outcome of the showing(s). If you're not set up for it and it is available, ask your agent to set you up on the seller's information. You will get 75% more showings thru this method .... it's not easy having your home on the market, I can truly empathize with every seller. Remember, agents buy and sell their own homes too -- and we are without a doubt, the worst worry worts and nail biters!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 PM

62 posts, read 322,107 times
Default HGTV - house hunters

I just loved Apple Annie's comment about the HGTV show House Hunters. You are absolutely correct. If it were only that easy. Show 3 properties and the buyers choose one. If it were, there would be a zillion more realtors out there. I have often wondered if the folks that watch that show really think buyers are lucky enough that often to find the perfect new home with just viewing 3.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
LOL! Thanks for your wisdom as a realtor, Vicki.

I think being both a seller and a buyer is the worst.

Being the realtor is hard work too - like fishing. Some bite and some don't. That's gotta be hard at times. Takes a lot of perseverence.
Hey Skip, for those of us that have control issues (hey! who is looking at ME?!!), having the buyer seems easier. Having the seller means you do all your marketing and writing your ads and re writing your ads and you still have to wait for the buyers to buy! And then you must keep your sellers calm, explaining all the while just what you are doing and why!

I'll tell you the same thing I tell MY sellers...this is a bit rough NOW. But...look ahead and once your home has sold, your repairs are done, and you are living in your new home...it will be worth it. Almost like having a baby!!!

Vicki

Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
...so at some point the house takes care of itself

Kidding... It is easeir to take buyers around IMO

Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Wow, you gals are encouraging! Are hugs allowed on this board?

Oops! Yes, I'm a gal. (Felt I ought to make that clear as a few think I'm a guy due to my screen name being so cute.) LOL

((((((((Hugs!))))))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina