U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2006, 08:11 PM

64 posts, read 246,879 times

Advertisements

And yes I have been there, I spent 36 years of my life in New York State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 08:14 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
I'm seeing folks blurring the lines between "geniunely nice" and "polite". Most southerners are just raised to be polite. That doesn't make us better or nicer people. And judging by nearly every northerner I've ever met, yankees generally don't have the same type of manners. The handful that do, have acquired it over a few years of living in the south.
Okay. I have to put my .02 in this as well. I am a northerner and have been all my life. This may sound very defensive but I have no other way to defend myself to make people understand this. To me, I don't think it's a matter of living in the North, South, East or West. I believe a lot of it has to do with the values that were instilled in us. I grew up in Queens, NY most of my life and I've had more than my share of dealing with jerks. But I was raised to have respect for people and to be very polite and well-mannered. I moved to Long Island and saw my share of jerks again but that didn't change who I am. Despite of it all, I still remain courteous to people. And after spending some time in NC and speaking to the very friendly people, I felt more than comfortable. So for anyone trying to portray northerners as very rude, disrespectful and not well mannered, don't judge a book by its cover. Every individual is different. Have an open mind that we are not all the same.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,914,015 times
lakeman where in NY are you originaly from? I know you said your sister lives in Leroy, is most of your family in the Rochester area?

Old 06-19-2006, 08:21 PM

very well said mmdj43

Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 PM

107 posts, read 329,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
I would agree with you. My friend who lives in Cary (formerly Long Island, NY) told me that another Long Island family moved down to his subdivision and he said that they are very snobbish. Now, that doesn't happen with everyone, but obviously there are some Northerners that move and expect to take over (unlike myself).
Are you sure that ONLY Long Islanders have relocated to Cary ? I beg to differ !

Old 06-19-2006, 08:33 PM

64 posts, read 246,879 times
Wellsville, whichis south of the Lilac City along the PA. border.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
I can live with that. i'm simply telling y'all what i've seen - you can stick your fingers in your ears and say it isn't true if you'd like, you have that right.
We're not saying it isn't true. We're just trying to say that not all Northerners are the same.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
THAT is where you lost your credibility.

Although I would normally say that was uncalled for, it was a good comeback. lol.

I agree. And what the hell is this world coming to? We have enough problems with our troops fighting for us in the mid-east (my heart goes out to them and their families) and now we're turning against ourselves? This is insane. And what are we supposed to be teaching our children? Our children are our future, and I don't want our future to end up being segregated by people who think that northerners and southerners, etc. are so much different. There, I've said my peace.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Are you sure that ONLY Long Islanders have relocated to Cary ? I beg to differ !
No, not at all. It's just a coincidence that many have. But from what I have read thru all these threads, Long Islanders are moving to various parts of NC. However, I think the majority have moved to either Raleigh or Charlotte because of the job market.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
Wellsville, whichis south of the Lilac City along the PA. border.
Oh, I know where that is. We always drive through there on the trip up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or