U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,904,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
No, not at all. It's just a coincidence that many have. But from what I have read thru all these threads, Long Islanders are moving to various parts of NC. However, I think the majority have moved to either Raleigh or Charlotte because of the job market.
They're all in Wake Forrest and Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 81,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
I think one of the main reasons why (and I could be mistaken about this) is because we (northerners) are not used to waving to people that just drive by (unless if it's our close friends and relatives). When my husband and I visited friends in Cary, he told us to remember to wave to everyone because that's what people do. So we easily adjusted ourselves to wave. It's not what we are used to but if our friends did not tell us to wave, we would have thought that the kind people were waving to someone else. Now, don't get me wrong, I am sure you will run into a few people every now and then that don't want to be that friendly. But that's not the case with everyone. My husband and I would be more than happy to wave to people that we don't know. It would be much more of a welcome that I am accustomed to here (it's generally the middle finger LOL).
I think my post was taken wrong. I certainly didn't mean to start a war or anything.

I'm not saying that North Raleigh and Cary is snobby because there are so many "transplants" living there, because I know a lot of native N. Carolinians who live there too! It just seems that the bigger a city gets, the more snobby, if you will, it's residents become. The small towns like I've always lived in are where you are more likely see someone throwing a hand up at an on-coming car (with a nice gesture, LOL!) or smiling at one another in the local stores. So, when I go into Raleigh or Cary and people are not as friendly, it's weird to me and something that I'm just not used to. Anyway, I try to avoid Raleigh and Cary if at all possible these days because of traffic, and because there are so many places to shop near where I live now.

BTW, I'm married (almost 15 years) to an upstate NY transplant myself!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:46 AM

That's different.... Upstate NY is a world apart from Long Island/NYC area..... and they are starting to invade there too!!!! lol.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 AM

25 posts, read 81,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
That's different.... Upstate NY is a world apart from Long Island/NYC area..... and they are starting to invade there too!!!! lol.
Yes, his poor brother and sister-in-law are thinking about moving down here because the living expenses are so high up there now. He is from Dutchess County, which is GORGEOUS, and it seems a lot of the "city" folk are moving there and commuting to NYC, which is driving the cost of living up for everyone.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Yeah... the further you get from NYC... the more beautiful and affordable the state gets. Seriously lol. Dutchess county probably isn't really even considerd Upstate anyore, just like Orange and Putnam Counties.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,569,998 times
You guys seem to well informed on towns. If not NC, then where can you find jobs, and low costs houses with it being a nice place to live?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,523 times
Jobs - I think it depends on what you do - where do find low cost housing and a nice place to live, that appears to depend on who you ask and now the place appears to be NC.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,569,998 times
Say administration jobs.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,523 times
I think, my opinion, admin jobs can be found all over. All companies need admin type job, but in a field like admin, I would imagine the salary for example in NYC is a lot higher then one in NC.... which brings me to the reasons we are all looking to go down south... it has to be more then $$...Even if I personally sell my home here in NY and due to the outrageous increase up here can buy a home down there cash, but salary drops $30-40K, I am in the same financial position there then here....that is why is is not necessarily cheaper, cheap should not be the word, but quality, getting more for your dollar and a host of other reasons I will not go into....a lot of businesses move down to the triange and it what brought a lot of people, correct me if I am wrong, those who are there, not just us northerers but from what I have been told a lot of immigrants from other countries...so we should look to blame big business again for what has occurred, not common people trying to find a better way of life - it is a cycle, more business, more jobs, more growth...this is how NYC began, maybe a Long, long time ago, but all our major cities begin this way...sustaining what is known to be the reason why so many flock is a harder issue

Old 06-20-2006, 01:02 PM

64 posts, read 246,799 times
I would just like to say something in my own defense. Nobody wanted to hear what I had to say, and I was just a Yankee putting down the south. But now I see all of those issues out there that people want to know about. (eg. schools, taxes, neighborhoods,etc.) ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or