U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2006, 01:48 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,415,123 times

Advertisements

I LIVE in Dutchess County and while its gorgeous..it isnt all its cracked up to be....we were lucky and young married couple and just bought our first starter house 8 years ago and its now worth 3x what we bought it for. But to NOW buy (2 kids later) a 4 bedroom colonial with all the fixings will at least run us 800k --and the best part will be to continue to commute to bergen county or the city...70-80 miles. So what is that for family life...there is NO industry nor job market here...NO downtown...in fact NOTHING has changed...we had all hoped some more infrastructure would be built to support the area..but all the old farts wont allow anymore building because it invades their territory of country life...yet the people who are strengthening the economy and paying the premiums for houses...NEED that desperately.

That is why WE are MOVING...quality of life my friends, quality of life. And trust me the major 6 figure salaries that us new york'as make doesnt yield us the same quality of life....to survivive here you need to make at least 200k a year....minimum.

And for the poster that said dutchess isnt considered the boonies..you are right...its considered practically next door to the city now.
I cant wait to get outta here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
That's why whenever I say I'm from New York.... I always specify UPSTATE. The REAL upstate, where homes are still affordable and people are still friendly. The NYC people haven't gotten up to the area I'm from (and won't, because it is 7 hours from NYC and it's own metro area itself) and I'm so glad. New York city is GREAT, and the country couldn't survive without it, but it needs to tame itself. In the same respect though... what's happening to the hudson valley is happening here in NC now too. Think about it, the same people that were moving to Long Island and Wstchester and Dutchess and Orange counties....are all coming here too. It doesn't matter that its not in the NYC metro area, it is still going to price out in a few years anyways if the tides don't slow down. NC shouoldn't take this the wrong way, but personally I don't give a care if it does happen here because I'm out and it won't offect me. But the people living here to stay and the ones wanting to move here should think twice befoure touting how great the area is and attracting butloads of more people to increase the already growing problems the area has. Ask anyone who has lived here for more than 10 years, and at least 8 out of 10 would say the areas quality of life has dramaticaly decreased recently. Granted, you could probably say the same thing about any place that's growing so tremendously. But that's my POINT. We need to stop traveling in herds.... we aren't sheep.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM

64 posts, read 246,854 times
The answer to the question is yes. Goodbye

Old 06-20-2006, 02:09 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,415,123 times
I'm informed--

You make some very valid points...just like any other hotspot, the markets both real estate and economy are going to boom. But one thing that I would have to say with regards to those who live in the "non" tradtional metropolitan areas (NYC, LA and suburbs, chicago, boston --you get my drift)--even if, the areas that people seem to be migrating to increase housing, taxes and such...at least at a bare minimum the commuting distance in miles will be shorter than the traditional big cities. Most people who live in the new yorks, chicagos and la's have at least a 1 hour + commute, whether it be in mileage or time sitting in the car.

And to even live in a town that will eventually become expensive in future, may not be such a bad deal if your commute is only 20 minutes.

I mean, heck we have only one life.....why not make the best of it for our families...

Maybe when our kids grow up..the new hot spot will be Kentucky, Tennasee, or maybe the NEW "new orleans"---that there trying to rebuild.

All I know is that most, and I say that loosely, most of us have benefited in the real estate market in the recent years....whats so wrong to want to leverage it and move, cash out on the equity and make a better life.

There is nothing wrong with it....but as with everything...you should do what is best for you.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:40 PM

The new hotspot will be Kansas for sure! Or maybe Alaska.... or West Virginia!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,127,563 times
A West Virginian joked to me that there is no flat land whatsoever there...

Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,571,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
The new hotspot will be Kansas for sure! Or maybe Alaska.... or West Virginia!
Why do you say Kansas?

Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
A West Virginian joked to me that there is no flat land whatsoever there...
That's true for the most part. Except for the very northern thin panhandle between PA and OH, it's pretty much all appalaicha. That's the reason for WVA's sort of "backwoodsy" way of life. Most of the towns are isolated in little valleys. It makes some of them very creepy, and others beautiful. I drive through WVA on my way to NY a lot. As to the other posters question as to why I said Kansas and the other states would be the next "it" places. I was just joking. I have no clue where everyone will flock to after NC and other states are overpriced and are no longer the "it" places.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,571,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
That's true for the most part. Except for the very northern thin panhandle between PA and OH, it's pretty much all appalaicha. That's the reason for WVA's sort of "backwoodsy" way of life. Most of the towns are isolated in little valleys. It makes some of them very creepy, and others beautiful. I drive through WVA on my way to NY a lot. As to the other posters question as to why I said Kansas and the other states would be the next "it" places. I was just joking. I have no clue where everyone will flock to after NC and other states are overpriced and are no longer the "it" places.
I thought maybe for the land?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 AM

Heck, that's true.... there is a lot more open land there, and I'm sure it's an affodable place. Maybe Kansas seirously will be the next "IT" place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or