U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I have found NC to be over-rated specifically since others have talked it up as if it were Nirvana. People fall for the cheaper cost of living routine here when in fact it isn't. The higher state income tax, sales taxes, higher cost of food, HOA fees etc all add up. The school issues are mounting too. And the traffic is absolutely AWFUL here. But we make the best of it although it has kind of a soul-less feel and not much in the way of character.

I am sure people have said it before - leave for the right reasons, not to run from your problems.
The cost-of-living was much cheaper for me in NC, but I was coming from the DC suburbs of Maryland. Overall, NC falls somewhere in the middle expense range of the U.S. as a whole. Some folks will find it cheaper to live in NC, while others will find it more expensive or no change at all. It depends on their previous state & local area of residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 AM

648 posts, read 2,737,875 times
This link has an awesome map showing cost of living by state for the 1st quarter of 2007.

If NC is talked about as being Nirvana, then it is over-rated. Many people would not like it here. Others find it fits every need they have.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 AM

104 posts, read 302,639 times
jfre81-having lived in MN, IA & CO maybe I should start a driving school for winter weather. I actually enjoy driving in the snow when you don't have to go up or down a mountain. It's the other drivers that scare me.

I also like the argument that if you live in NC you have both the beaches and mountains. Yeah, because this is the only state where you can do that?

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 AM

620 posts, read 1,920,844 times
I think Florida is overrated...

Old 08-02-2007, 09:47 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,349,428 times
Quote:
3. Nosy people.
Of course, southerners couldn't mind their own business if their life depended on it but it's all because we care. We are a friendly bunch and very laid back. Course it's too blasted hot to be otherwise.

Speaking of hot...that's partly why we speak and work so slow...too hot and humid to do otherwise. Liz

Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 33,313 times
First hand experience.
I moved to Cary from Jersey about 4 years ago.
Oh... were the houses beautiful and CHEAP compared to Jersey homes.
THe vaulted ceilings, granite, hardwood, all so big and beautiful....

Well, you know what?
Living in a beautiful house doesn't make up for the horrible things about NC.

It is so friggin hot and humid here, you can't imagine.

The people are somewhat "strange" to say the least.

Besides shopping, there really isn't that much to do.
There is so much that Raleigh has to offer.

There is no NYC or Philly to take a day trip to.

The laws are somewhat backward.

Did you know that anyone can get arrested here if they swear before a magistrate that YOU trespassed on their property?

Yes, you can get in a fight with someone, they go down to the magistrate and say you trespassed, and the next thing you know, your in handcuffs.

I mean, that just DOES NOT happen up North! )This happened to a coworker in an adjacent county

The ride to the ocean is a long ride, compared to going to the "shore"
No Boardwalk, doesn't have the "feel" like Seaside or Pt. Pleasant

Think before you take the jump.

My house in Jersey has doubled since I moved. If I move back, I will have to live in a condo.

Remember, the grass is always "greener" on the other side.

But hey, this is just my families opinion.

Oh.. if your Jewish like me.... well, that's another story

Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,349,428 times
Quote:
It is so friggin hot and humid here, you can't imagine.

The people are somewhat "strange" to say the least.

Besides shopping, there really isn't that much to do.
There is so much that Raleigh has to offer.

There is no NYC or Philly to take a day trip to.

The laws are somewhat backward.

The ride to the ocean is a long ride, compared to going to the "shore"

Think before you take the jump.

My house in Jersey has doubled since I moved. If I move back, I will have to live in a condo.

Remember, the grass is always "greener" on the other side.
1) Yes, it is hot and humid...always has been but did you check that out prior to moving?

2) Each state has strange citizens...I've met some in EVERY state, even New Jersey.

3) There are plenty of things to do in this state, esp if you are a history buff.

4) Personally NYC and Philly are somewhat overrated after one or two visits.

5) Go visit Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have blue laws, old laws, and just plain weird laws! they have them in EVERY state.

Quote:
Remember, we are NOT NJ for a reason. We have the Outer Banks tho...which has a beauty all it's own.

Also remember that NJ has the highest car insurance rate in the entire country.

And before you give me a neg rep for telling the truth, remember that I also moved down here from the north but I know that this is NOT MI. I left that state behind. This is NC, not MI. I have also lived in Pittsburgh and was welcomed there because I did not expect it to be the state I left behind. I embraced it for what it was. I grew up in the south but have lived in many states all over.

Oh, and I happen to know it's HOT and HUMID in NJ right now too...a friend of mine lives in Bayonne. She says she's miserable. Liz

Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,994,321 times
hm, I do not seem to remember anybody forcing anyone to move here to NC.
Oh wait, we did hog tie some and dragged them into NC state and told them you will live here and be miserable. I remember now.

So if you moved here and cannot return from whence you came, I suggest you make the best of it until you can.

Is NC over rated? Not for those that came and are happy to say this is home,

Of course it's not going to be for everybody........

Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM

14,414 posts, read 26,238,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
jfre81-having lived in MN, IA & CO maybe I should start a driving school for winter weather. I actually enjoy driving in the snow when you don't have to go up or down a mountain. It's the other drivers that scare me.

I also like the argument that if you live in NC you have both the beaches and mountains. Yeah, because this is the only state where you can do that?
The other people are enough to keep me inside, or outside playing in the snow (I grew up on the Texas coast, we don't see it much) but the ice is more frequent in NC than the snow and that's just scary stuff to be in. I've done my time in the snowbelt but it was either summertime or I wasn't driving. I really do not like those banked freeway onramps that you see around Raleigh (and elsewhere) anytime something frozen is on the road. But then again just about every time I went driving in NC I looked at things that made me wonder what NCDOT was thinking.

I will say that NC is the first place I've ever been to where you can ride on the same road and cross over a freeway two or three times before you can actually get onto it. That is something unique.

But yeah, there do happen to be a couple of states directly to the north and south of NC that have just as good access to both mountains and beaches.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM

648 posts, read 2,737,875 times
The air is poorly rated, notably in the summer. Code orange for Charlotte metro and Hickory areas today:

"Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or