U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 PM

33 posts, read 157,316 times

Advertisements

It is code Orange here in Delaware today too and it is about 97 degrees and humid as all get out. At least down there isn't like here where people move here and then develop lung problems and immune diseases. I live in one of the highest cancer rate states and can't wait to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
The air is poorly rated, notably in the summer. Code orange for Charlotte metro and Hickory areas today:

"Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
People complain about the weather always crack me up.

It not anything we can control nor hide. It not like your native neighbor down the street has his heater stove and having a wild blaze fire to raise the heat to scare you away LOL.

It is August and it is summer no matter how much BTS is going on the season isnt going to chage for that.

This state has great things to do in order to stay cool or refreshed.

All parts of USA have some type of weather issues. I personally think this has been a cooler than normal summer. Low 90's beats the high 90's and 100's you seee reported on weather channel in other states.

The nice mix of weather and 4 season climate is what helps this state be such a green looking state.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:25 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,992,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
People complain about the weather always crack me up.

It not anything we can control nor hide. It not like your native neighbor down the street has his heater stove and having a wild blaze fire to raise the heat to scare you away LOL.

It is August and it is summer no matter how much BTS is going on the season isnt going to chage for that.

This state has great things to do in order to stay cool or refreshed.

All parts of USA have some type of weather issues. I personally think this has been a cooler than normal summer. Low 90's beats the high 90's and 100's you seee reported on weather channel in other states.

The nice mix of weather and 4 season climate is what helps this state be such a green looking state.
Yup, been wondering if the 105 heat indexes will kick in this year or not........

Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Well....being a native of North Carolina for 48 years I can only tell you what I once loved about N.C....in particular...Charlotte, N.C.

It once was a less crowded city...less traffic

It once was a fairly cheap place to live.....especially for native Charlotteans

The schools and the neighborhoods were better, cleaner

The taxes were cheaper....for that matter...everything was.. ie; housing, groceries, etc.

Crime was less....people were friendlier than they are now.

I realize that the influx of newcomers from across the U.S. has put Charlotte on the map so to speak, but.....with all this growth, "BIG CITY" problems have followed. Native Charlotteans seem to be fading into the shadows as CENTER CITY CHARLOTTE and the HIGH RISE GLITZ, Blinds us all!
Good neighborhoods, Historic neighborhoods have fell into total dispair and disrepair, or been bulldozed over. If that isn't these neighborhoods fate....they have been taken over by investors from larger, more affluent cities and redeveloped to "quaint, retro "Boroughs" (sound familiar?)
All of this has displaced so many people....just priced out of their life-long neighborhoods yet.....this is progress...I understand this.
I just have one question?........ Why did you leave your own homestates? For all the reasons our newcomer friends decided to "LEAVE" their own home states (for a better quality of life) the increasing number of people relocating to Charlotte/N.C. has created... and will continue to create, cities just like the cities our newly arrived neighbors, "RAN" from. What happens when your "new" home starts looking like your "old " home? Will you relocated again....to another mid-size city?.....then another? Will your grandchildren? I can only pray that this won't be the pattern.
I used to love my city.....but I'm pretty sure it's lost alot of it's charm and I wonder if I'll be forced out...to make a relocation of my own.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,814 times
Exclamation reply to pros & cons of living in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Since December 1994. About 11 1/2 years.

As for the 5 things...

Like:

1.The economy is good
THAT WOULD BE TRUE!

2.People are fairly friendly
That is true. Its a rat race in NY. Too much stress...running around like a maniac for what?...Do you ever enjoy your day? The people in Target ask you "if you found what you needed....1 to 3X a visit."

3.The ocean is only 3 hours away
Wilmington is 2 hours away...no TRAFFIC! You can rent any one of a gazillion beach houses for a reasonable price off season....and guess what the beach is beautiful in Oct, Nov, Dec...

4.The roads (the ones that aren't being expanded) are in good condition
Get a grip...they're better than NY! They are planning for the future not like in NY when the roads were built for growth in the 20's thorugh the 1950"s!
Big deal you have to wait.

5. The neighborhoods are built around trees instead of on top of them
True...keep the trees!

Dislike:

1.There is almost NO community feeling at all

We have to do that...reach out. We are a melting pot of states and countries...that's cool! And that's funny because mst neighborhoods here have pools, gyms, sidewalks, front porches, community centers, play grounds, hiking / biking trails, lakes. The lakes are not polluted...they are just different from northrn lakes and also preserve wildlife.

2. The summers are unbearable and kids don't go outside to play.

So what...now you may stay in the house in the summer instead of a long dreadful winter....at least you can go to the pool later in the day. And we can enjoy the so called winter weather here and do things outside w/out freezing our butts off. And guess what spring happens earlier...March!!! Green grass, leaves on trees , & FLOWERS!

3. The pollen is unbearable in spring and is actually the worst in the nation (this is the price of having all of the trees around the houses)

Get some medicine & stay inside. I know its bad but you could have pollution instead & that'll make anyone sick. Its a tradeoff.

4. The school system is RIDICULOUS; Countywide school systems just don't work when there are 140,000 students in the county (projected 185,000 by 2015)
Work with it...so we're expanding. In NY there must be crooks running the lotto beacuse no school should suffer there with the way people spend money on lotto. Some lotto money is supposed to go to the schools. And how about paying the teachers better... in all of NY state. By the way the colleges are great in NC....and some of the professors are from NY.

5. I'm far from my parents and siblings, as is my wife, and it's just not worth it to live here anymore if we can't really be happy.

I find that when you do get the chance to visit with relatives that its a better quality spent with them. Have them come here and then you go there. it won't seem that bad. And NY is only 1hr 15 min flight away.

I found that in NY that the all around quality of life frankly "SUCKS" on a daily basis. Its a pain just to go to a store. I never spoke with my neighbors there. No one has given me the finger on the road here. I did not see (a lot) of my relatives because we all have work & school. The traffic there is not worth it. I find that I enjoy going to NY all around when I visit (people, food, Yankee games). The taxes & ridiculus price for houses that are old anyway. Guess what...we get together with my neighbors here all the time..from all states & NY! We get along great! But we had to reach out and that's not too hard. Our families got to know each other and we give any excuse to have a party. Also when you meet others NYrker's its like an instant friendship. Bottom line there is give & take, and trade offs. But if you move I feel it takes 1 to 2 yrs to really feel like home...but you can do it...just remember why you moved...not what you left. When you go back & visit its a better quality & more memorable than just living in an everyday rat race environment.

Just a note, there are many more things I could pick at that are negative, but you said five, so five is all I'll list The rest get sort of petty anyways lol
If you look for the negative it will be there. If you look for the positive that will be there too. Do you really want your family back where you came from. Is that a good future? Nah!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 AM

331 posts, read 1,034,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach1 View Post
I just have one question?........ Why did you leave your own homestates? For all the reasons our newcomer friends decided to "LEAVE" their own home states (for a better quality of life) the increasing number of people relocating to Charlotte/N.C. has created... and will continue to create, cities just like the cities our newly arrived neighbors, "RAN" from. What happens when your "new" home starts looking like your "old " home? Will you relocated again....to another mid-size city?.....then another? Will your grandchildren? I can only pray that this won't be the pattern.
In a nutshell.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Considering that so many people are moving here, I feel that somewhere there is a rating system where NC has to be overrated. Is it possible that many people are moving to other states as well? Has NY, NJ, PA, etc. reached such a saturation point that they have to migrate to other states? I know why the people from Florida are coming here. When they buy a house, they would like to know it is still standing next year. California shakes every day. I see that on the earthquake map. I know that some people just like to move. I came from the mountains of North Carolina where from birth we are taught to think for ourselves. Dictators think for everyone in some countries. This is America. Does everybody have to move to the same place? Can NC be the ideal place for so many transients? There are a lot of other good states too. When it gets this hot, I sometimes think about Wisconsin. Luckily the really bad heat doesn't last very long. Think about your move and where you want to go before doing it, don't just follow the crowd. No one else can really tell you whether you will be happy or not, but we can really tell it when you are not. I prayed about our move before moving here and it has worked out great.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 AM

14 posts, read 41,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR View Post
Looks like you got the floor I'M. I would also like to know what were some things you liked and didn't. Maybe 5 things for each?
Okay~ I'll take that! :}

I am NOT a native from NC but, instead, a Military Wife who PSCed with her Honey who stayed in NC while her Honey went here, there, and everywhere. I myself lived in NC for almost TEN YEARS. I raised my children there for the most part.

What I like about NC:

1. It was beautiful! The ocean, the mountains, the towns in between.

2. There were LOTS of things to do! There are many places, cheap, to take your family. No matter what you liked to do. Museums to nature hikes, History or amusement parks~ You can find just about whatever you dream of in NC.

3. The people were over all pretty friendly. I never had any problems. They said "Hello" and waved, even if they didn't know you, or nod.

4. Around Fayetteville/Spring Lake/Fort Bragg~ there were GREAT places to eat! (TUNG SING!!)I loved that it had a dollar Movie theater! I enjoyed the Mall and the shopping around it. I could drop my (at the time) Pre-teens off and not worry if they would have harm come to them, they were 'safe'. I didn't worry if my boys took a bus to get around town.

5. The winters are fair, spring and autumn are beautiful, and yes, the summers are hot, but they are about as hot as they are in Western KY and NOT as hot nor as humid as they are in and around Augusta, GA. It is mostly sunny, there is usually a nice breeze, and the nights always cool down to a comfortable temp.

6. The houses are generally reasonable. Depending on where you are in state, I can't tell you about house prices passed those in Cumberland, Raeford, Harnett Counties~ But in Cumberland, near Harnett, you can find a NICE house~ some newly built~ with land or in housing areas~ which are nice and not on top of each other for a DECENT price. The agents/real estate people are nice, helpful, and you don't feel like they are trying to take advantage of you.

7. The OCEAN is BEAUTIFUL. There are places which aren't tourist traps like Emerald Isle that are not overly crowded, have reasonable priced motels/hotels, and you can stay, do LOTS of activities, and not break the bank.

8. There is a WIDE range of people in the state, no matter where you are. There are celebrations, fairs, and events for EVERY occasion! I met people from everywhere at Ft. Bragg, granted I was on post, but I went off post ALL THE TIME. I didn't met too many who didn't like Bragg BEST out of all the posts they'd be assigned. Wives, too!

9. Jobs. There are LOTS of jobs. I never had a problem finding a decent job at a decent wage. There were MANY places to choose from.

10. I had a flat tire when I was driving to Bragg after I visited my Mom in KY. I was in the Eastern part of NC and I didn't know a soul. I was without my husband, it was just myself, my three kids, and a kitten. I had several people stop to offer me help. I didn't need them because I called my auto service, but HAD I~ I know that strangers would have helped me! That's beyond friendly. That's downright compassionate.

I LOVED NC. I miss it terribly. We have been in GA for a little less than 10 months and it just isn't the same. I am a country girl to begin with, I perfer country living. NC is NOT overrated. It is great!

The negatives of NC:

1. HEAT. Depending on where you are from, you might not like the heat or humidity. It is only really bad in peak summer. Even then, my kids played outside. They just had to be sure to drink water. *shrugs* It's not near as HOT or HUMID as it is HERE in GA.

2. Drivers. Because there are people from EVERYWHERE, they are not all on the same page when it comes to driving. I drove in INDY and Chicago and did not fear for my life like I did in and near Ft.Bragg when it iced or snowed! LOL People do NOT know how to drive on it because it so rarely happens and there are some people who have never SEEN SNOW little less driven in it.

3. There are so dirty nasty looking places. Granted, these places are generally far and few, but they do exsist. It was on Bragg Blvd where I saw my very first street hooker. It was....strange...BUT I expect they have them in every city, I just didn't see them there, that's all.

4. PINE TREES! Gah~ I hate pine trees now. The roads run YELLOW during that period of time when the pine trees dump the pollen. I hate them. They are "protected" under some law... can't cut them... Don't like them.

5. I do not like that they have MANY kill shelters, only one no-kill shelter. There are far too many animals abandoned, neglected, and put to death instead of adopted out. That breaks my heart. Unfortunately, it seems to be ALL over the country, not just NC. They have strange pet laws, too. I don't quite understand some of them.

There's my list.
NC is a great place to live! That's coming from someone neither born or raised there, just lived there nearly a quarter of my life. I hope we get transfered back, too.

NC is NOT overrated. It's wonderful. Beautiful. ~Jessi~

Last edited by ArmyWifeJessica; 08-13-2007 at 01:44 AM..

Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM

9 posts, read 21,815 times
We just moved to Greensboro in December from New England.
5 Likes:
1. I know a lot of you have said that you do not feel a sense of community, but I do.

2. There is so much to do! I am from Manchester, NH (which is the largest area of NH). To do anything, you have to drive an hour to Boston. Here, there are museums, bike trails, playgrounds . . . .just TONS to do with 2 small children!

3. The weather! I enjoy the heat. Again, in New England, 6 months of the year is winter. I actually enjoy having all 4 seasons.

4. People are pretty nice. Of course you have a few bad apples - but you get that anywhere.

5. Taxes are LOW! We were paying $6,000 a year for our 3 bedroom up north. Here, for our 3 bedroom (with more sq.ft) we pay less than $1,000 year!!

Dislikes:
1. The prejudice against my husband and me for being "Yankees." My husband was actually told by an older woman (whom he never met) that she hated him because he was a Yankee. Where does this come from?? This seems to happen all the time. When I was up north and I met someone from the south - I wouldn't start asking them "why they moved here" like I get from people down here. Honestly, I can't go anywhere without someone asking: "You're from the north, what brings you down here?" Maybe they are just making conversation . . . .but it seems to be these people are afraid that the "North is taking over" <-- I have had that said to me as well. By the way - this obviously does not pertain to ALL people living in the south, but it happens often.

2. Cicadas. (? spelling). Those singing critters kept me up all night at first. Thankfully, I have gotten used to their sounds.

3.Produce (unless shopping at the Farmer's Market) is expensive. I couldn't believe the price of tomatos!!

4. Red clay. God put it here for a reason . . . Mudd Duds. Have you seen these t-shirts? Very cute idea. Anyway, if you work in the yard, there is no getting this red clay out of your laundry. Obviously, nothing I can do about it. It is actually pretty neat at first to see - but took a while to get used to.

5. Schools. The drop out rate is really high, schools are overcrowded. . . .
Although, from what I have been reading, they are working very hard on finding solutions to these problems.

So: there you have it. My 5 likes and dislikes of the South (from a Yankee girl - Oh My!!)

Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,347,907 times
Quote:
My husband was actually told by an older woman (whom he never met) that she hated him because he was a Yankee. Where does this come from?? This seems to happen all the time. When I was up north and I met someone from the south - I wouldn't start asking them "why they moved here" like I get from people down here. Honestly, I can't go anywhere without someone asking: "You're from the north, what brings you down here?"
You should have said, Well, "bless your heart"...thanks for asking! LOL. We got tired of the cold...or something like that...but make sure you said the "bless your heart" to them, LOL.

As far as your husband and that older woman...don't know what to tell you. Is his office the type of place where you can send in baked good or things like that? I know some are and sometimes that breaks the ice.

Quote:
Cicadas. (? spelling). Those singing critters kept me up all night at first. Thankfully, I have gotten used to their sounds
Actually when you grow up with them, they aren't so bad...altho this is one of the worst years from what I've read. They go in cycles. I missed them the years I was away.

I totally agree about the red clay! Thankfully, I am down here on the coast and we have SAND. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or