U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 28,622 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Bible Belt and was certainly surrounded by a lot of religious people growing up. I think the shift is probably due to people moving into the BB from other, less religious regions, rather than a shift in the native population. Even where I live now in Maryland, I still run into people who wish me a blessed day or read Scripture at lunch. It's kind of nice--reminds me of home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 PM

68 posts, read 191,573 times
After 10 years here, I'm moving back up north. My husband, who was born in Virginia, is also ready to leave, and has the same list of complaints/likes.

5 things I like here.
1. Slower pace of life
2. Less crime
3. Larger lots for homes
4. Milder winters
5. Cheaper property taxes

5 things I don't like

1. You can say anything about anyone behind their back as long as you preface it with "God bless them, but"... very hypocritical
2. " If you ain't kin you ain't in," applies at my kids schools, as well as jobs
3. Higher personal income tax (low rate 6%), and annual vehicle/RV/boat tax
4. All the smoking, everyone here smokes, it's even OK to smoke outside the church doorstep. I've even seen people tap out their smokes, and leave it on the church window so they can come back out and relight it. Not an old church, this was a NEW church building.
5. No one takes care of any of the trash along the roads here, litter is everywhere. We may have had a lot of garbage dumps up in Jersey, but we kept it in the dump...not all along the road, and highways.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abloodragon View Post
After 10 years here, I'm moving back up north. My husband, who was born in Virginia, is also ready to leave, and has the same list of complaints/likes.

5 things I like here.
1. Slower pace of life
2. Less crime
3. Larger lots for homes
4. Milder winters

5 things I don't like

1. You can say anything about anyone behind their back as long as you preface it with "God bless them, but"... very hypocritical
2. " If you ain't kin you ain't in," applies at my kids schools, as well as jobs
4. All the smoking, everyone here smokes, it's even OK to smoke outside the church doorstep. I've even seen people tap out their smokes, and leave it on the church window so they can come back out and relight it. Not an old church, this was a NEW church building.
5. No one takes care of any of the trash along the roads here, litter is everywhere. We may have had a lot of garbage dumps up in Jersey, but we kept it in the dump...not all along the road, and highways.

Everyone smokes here? Well, I sure don't. Come to think of it, none of my friends smoke either, hmmmmmm....In my entire church family I can only think of one smoker, and I personally know several hundred people there. Guess I must live in the one little smokeless bubble in all of Charlotte?

Trash is an issue we should all be concerned about. But when "everybody" waits for "somebody" else to take care of the problem, "no one" seems to get it done. I guess my hubby and I didn't make it to your corner of Charlotte when we were out picking up trash to do our part, sorry about that.

Another funny thing, I don't have a single relative in this whole city besides my husband and kids and I've managed to get jobs without a problem. And gee, my kids are friends with some of the nicest kids I've ever met.

Sorry your time here has not been more like mine. Good luck going forward.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-27-2007 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,680,594 times
NC Smoking Rate - 22.6%

Adult Smoking Rate - Kaiser State Health Facts

Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM

I live in the bubble, of one of the tobacco counties, where up until 3 or 4 years ago you could even smoke in Wal-mart. I pick up the trash dumped on my 4 acres.... sometimes whole bags of garbage just thrown out the window.
I've never had problems getting a job..but on the job, there is always a preference for the southerner native. At one of the hospital meetings (I'm an RN) They expressed concern about hiring an 'outsider' for the position of administrator. The saying 'If you ain't kin you ain't in', was told to me by someone else. another 'damn yankee'. I'll bet ya know what a 'damn yankee' is though. LOL
My kids are honor roll students, and my son is the #1 chair for the whole county in band. 2 of my kids have won the county science fair. I feel like it's the school's loss and not the other way around. I even have one in college, here in the UNC system, so I am familiar with how things work here. I've volunteered in a rescue squad, and at church. BTW, after 8 years of attending church here, I quit when my husband left for Army BCT in January. Funny, thing was, even after manning the church nursery for over a year..every single week, no one even missed us. It's been over 8 months, I run into them at the grocery, school etc...No one even says "how's your husband doing in the Army" So much for southern hospitality.
I'm glad you and your kids like it, but this 'damn yankee' is going home.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 PM

180 posts, read 205,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
I grew up in the Bible Belt and was certainly surrounded by a lot of religious people growing up. I think the shift is probably due to people moving into the BB from other, less religious regions, rather than a shift in the native population. Even where I live now in Maryland, I still run into people who wish me a blessed day or read Scripture at lunch. It's kind of nice--reminds me of home.
You don't think it's also due to new generations growing up and not adhering to any religion as much as their parents did? I'm sure that's part of it...so the native population HAS shifted to a less religious society. Anyway, what regions would these less religious people come from?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM

180 posts, read 205,009 times
Quote:
I live in the bubble, of one of the tobacco counties, where up until 3 or 4 years ago you could even smoke in Wal-mart. I pick up the trash dumped on my 4 acres.... sometimes whole bags of garbage just thrown out the window.
I've never had problems getting a job..but on the job, there is always a preference for the southerner native. At one of the hospital meetings (I'm an RN) They expressed concern about hiring an 'outsider' for the position of administrator. The saying 'If you ain't kin you ain't in', was told to me by someone else. another 'damn yankee'. I'll bet ya know what a 'damn yankee' is though. LOL
My kids are honor roll students, and my son is the #1 chair for the whole county in band. 2 of my kids have won the county science fair. I feel like it's the school's loss and not the other way around. I even have one in college, here in the UNC system, so I am familiar with how things work here. I've volunteered in a rescue squad, and at church. BTW, after 8 years of attending church here, I quit when my husband left for Army BCT in January. Funny, thing was, even after manning the church nursery for over a year..every single week, no one even missed us. It's been over 8 months, I run into them at the grocery, school etc...No one even says "how's your husband doing in the Army" So much for southern hospitality.
I'm glad you and your kids like it, but this 'damn yankee' is going home.
I have a pretty strong feeling someone from the South may run into many of the same problems in a small town up North. It's all about where you locate and what you are used to and comfortable with, and if you wanted city life there are choices of larger cities in North Carolina. If you wanted small town or small city life, which it sounds like what you chose, then there are choices for that as well.

It sounds like the one who might lose are your kids. They seem to be very successful and apparently happy if they are achieving all of those awards and recognition. It's hard on children to be pulled out of school and away from friends to venture into the unknown.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Actually, my kids are the reason I'm leaving. They never developed the 'southern accent' and are constantly ridiculed because of it. It's like wearing a neon sign, every time they open their mouth, that they weren't natives. I imagine southerners moving up north, would face similar problems. My kids are smart enough, that they will achieve academically wherever we are.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,646,148 times
Quote:

5 things I like here.
1. Slower pace of life
2. Less crime
3. Larger lots for homes
4. Milder winters

5 things I don't like

I remember walking through ankle deep trash on the street in NYC.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 28,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
You don't think it's also due to new generations growing up and not adhering to any religion as much as their parents did? I'm sure that's part of it...so the native population HAS shifted to a less religious society. Anyway, what regions would these less religious people come from?
A lot of people moving down South, in my observation, seem to be from California and the Northeast. That's not to say that there aren't religious people in those regions, but I think overall they tend to be less, shall we say, overt about it. I don't mean that as a slam against anybody--just a personal observation--so I apologize if I've given offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or