U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM

180 posts, read 26,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
A lot of people moving down South, in my observation, seem to be from California and the Northeast. That's not to say that there aren't religious people in those regions, but I think overall they tend to be less, shall we say, overt about it. I don't mean that as a slam against anybody--just a personal observation--so I apologize if I've given offense.
You didn't offend me...I just think that it has much more to do with the generation of Bible Belters having children who don't end up as religious as the parents. I know my generation and the ones near my age are not nearly as likely to attend church as my parents and grandparents generations were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 AM

14 posts, read 33,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abloodragon View Post
Actually, my kids are the reason I'm leaving. They never developed the 'southern accent' and are constantly ridiculed because of it. It's like wearing a neon sign, every time they open their mouth, that they weren't natives. I imagine southerners moving up north, would face similar problems. My kids are smart enough, that they will achieve academically wherever we are.
The Southern Accent *sigh*
It IS a wonderful thing, I have to admit, but I guess to children~ depending on what age they are~ it might be something to cause issue.
I have had the opposite problem.
I have lived ALL OVER the place ~ mostly in the South granted~ but when I lived in Indy for three years, my KY accent caused grand amusement for those who did not drop 'G's.
My childrens' accents are a strange mixture which ends up more Southern than not, but could pass for somewhere in the middle like VA or DC.
Being in the military is a tough thing ~ ~ and having a mate in the military IS like being in the military yourself.
I have alway found that in such times I reach out for my family. Even if they are a couple of states away. If your husband is military, the stresses of that could be lightened (abeit slightly) by living near your relations.
As for your children getting picked on, I hate to hear that. That's a terrible thing.
Guess mine were lucky~ living ON a post when they were smaller~ a HUGE collection of people and accents just came with the Military Life! Most DID have accents~ German, Spanish, Korean ~ Whatever! It was NO big deal because it was more the 'Norm'. *shrugs*
Going home is always a good thing. No matter where you are, what you do, people call a particular place 'Home'. Be it a state or a state of mind, 'Home' helps us cope.
I don't attend religious ceremony. I do smoke. I don't litter. I don't talk about people behind their back (No matter the phrases used) LOL

I think that the South is better off having people who WANT to be here, to be honest.
Hate to say it, but... "...Kay... Don't the door hit you in the ..."

Old 09-29-2007, 08:58 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,930,083 times
Quote:
I live in the bubble, of one of the tobacco counties, where up until 3 or 4 years ago you could even smoke in Wal-mart. I pick up the trash dumped on my 4 acres.... sometimes whole bags of garbage just thrown out the window.
I've never had problems getting a job..but on the job, there is always a preference for the southerner native. At one of the hospital meetings (I'm an RN) They expressed concern about hiring an 'outsider' for the position of administrator. The saying 'If you ain't kin you ain't in', was told to me by someone else. another 'damn yankee'. I'll bet ya know what a 'damn yankee' is though. LOL
My kids are honor roll students, and my son is the #1 chair for the whole county in band. 2 of my kids have won the county science fair. I feel like it's the school's loss and not the other way around. I even have one in college, here in the UNC system, so I am familiar with how things work here. I've volunteered in a rescue squad, and at church. BTW, after 8 years of attending church here, I quit when my husband left for Army BCT in January. Funny, thing was, even after manning the church nursery for over a year..every single week, no one even missed us. It's been over 8 months, I run into them at the grocery, school etc...No one even says "how's your husband doing in the Army" So much for southern hospitality.
I'm glad you and your kids like it, but this 'damn yankee' is going home.
Here's one Yankee to another welcoming you back...I hear your story a lot from people who go south and returning home is the best thing they did. I personally know I would step on the feet of a lot of southerners as I'm an outspoken, take me/leave me liberal (a result of being the baby sister to 6 brothers: sink or swim was my mantra growing up! LOL). So I stay put in NY but my brother moved down to Raleigh (hence my interest in this board) and he's been told by his employer not to talk in some instances as the individual they're dealing with isn't a Yankees fan (he works in construction). And telling my also boisterous brother not to talk is akin to telling him not to inhale!!! Bet he gets all red-faced and bug-eyed poor guy!!!!

As for church going; attendance has dropped like a rock in most organized groups and interest has risen steadily in non-denominational churches which is a reflection of baby boomers doing what we do best: questioning the status quo. And as I've asked my very Christian bible beating sister (who would do well in the South): do you think that the Buddist is shunned by God because his spirituality does not reflect hers? She has no answer...IMO, you honor God by believing, how you believe should be your choice and no one way is better.....

Anyways, hope your move "home" is successful and good luck!

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 09-29-2007 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 PM

180 posts, read 26,798 times
Funny thing, I'm very outspoken and a liberal, yet I was born in N.C. and live in Atlanta. I've never had a problem with anything or anybody, but I also have manners and I'm polite about my outspoken-ness. There is no shortage of people like me in the South...and as you saw from the map I posted earlier, bible-thumping isn't all that big down here - it is much more prominent in the Midwest.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 PM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,306,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irma63 View Post
We just came back from visiting NC and we are very, very impressed. Loved everything. The only question I have why there are so many churches? Sometimes standing next to each other and different denominations, small buildings and sometimes trailers? Are NC people that religious? Nothing is wrong with that but I wonder how not church going folks would be accepted? Any thoughts?
I had a best friend for years who did not go to church. One of the first things she said to me when I first met her was, I am not going to your church, so don't ask me. Later she apologized, saying that she had been invited to church one too many times that day. She did visit my church for a Christmas Program. At that time there were 12 houses on our little road and we had everything from Christian Scientiest to Mormons represented. There were Methodist, several different Baptists churches, and I can't remember now what other churches were represented in those 12 houses, but it was varied. Her husband was Catholic.

A lot of people socialize with the people of their church. We call it fellowship. That does not mean that there are not town, civic, local, etc. get togethers, but our church keeps us so busy that there is not a lot of time for other things. Actually it is my personal opinion that North Carolina is such a nice place because of all those churches. Just a little bit of Heaven.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 PM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,306,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
I grew up in the Bible Belt and was certainly surrounded by a lot of religious people growing up. I think the shift is probably due to people moving into the BB from other, less religious regions, rather than a shift in the native population. Even where I live now in Maryland, I still run into people who wish me a blessed day or read Scripture at lunch. It's kind of nice--reminds me of home.
Looking at the map on this thread, you may have something. The one exception may be Hendersonville. My son enjoyed his time in Maryland, because of the friends at the church he attended. He had other friends at the church he attended in Charleston. Church is a good place to meet new people. You at least have one thing in common.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,685,514 times
Quote:
4. All the smoking, everyone here smokes
Not me, my friend.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:26 AM

217 posts, read 598,661 times
Quote:
Actually, my kids are the reason I'm leaving. They never developed the 'southern accent' and are constantly ridiculed because of it. It's like wearing a neon sign, every time they open their mouth, that they weren't natives. I imagine southerners moving up north, would face similar problems. My kids are smart enough, that they will achieve academically wherever we are.
My husband moved from Kentucky (many Kentuckians followed too) to Ohio many years ago and was made fun alot because of his accent. He said some apartments would not rent to "Briars" from the south and people treated the transplants like scum.

But I do feel for you. Sorry you are having a bad experience. My sister lives in North Carolina and has not experienced anything you have. In fact, she's surprised when she even finds a native.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:36 AM

217 posts, read 598,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I remember walking through ankle deep trash on the street in NYC.

LOL...I remember visiting Long Island a few years ago and was surprised by the amount of litter there. And Long Island is one of NY's best areas.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 AM

241 posts, read 500,756 times
Looks like you need to spend more time in Charlotte..What are you comparing Charlotte to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef973 View Post
Honestly, i just returned from Charlotte N.C. and i wasnt impressed. That city is BO-RING and its the largest in the state youd think it would be fun. If Charlotte is that lame, i would hate to see what the rest is like. The drive home put me to sleep i would never want to live in NC over NJ no matter how much cheaper the land prices are. Just my opinion no offense to NC residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina