U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 AM

146 posts, read 340,830 times
Tom,

Apparently, Mike's heart is in NJ, not Charlotte. Spending more time in Charlotte won't change his mind. Home is where the heart is. I'm sure NC is beautiful, it's just not the right fit for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,295 times
moving here from MI want to know what type of insects are abundent mainly meaning poisonous! horrible reaction to insect bites i live in raid! how about annoying animals, sister in law told me you have gators is that true? are there a lot of poisonous snakes? moving to NEWTON would love some insight

Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,331,787 times
Quote:
sister in law told me you have gators is that true?
Down on the coast, yeah...it's true.

As to poisonous critters, you just have to be careful. MI has it's fair share of critters too. Liz

Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 17,980,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi View Post
moving here from MI want to know what type of insects are abundent mainly meaning poisonous! horrible reaction to insect bites i live in raid! how about annoying animals, sister in law told me you have gators is that true? are there a lot of poisonous snakes? moving to NEWTON would love some insight
Some of the counties in the state's Coastal Plain Region have small populations of alligators, but this isn't Florida.

American Alligators in North Carolina

Poisonous snake species are found in some areas of NC. Only the Copperhead is found statewide.

Eastern Coral Snake
Copperhead
Cottonmouth
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
Timber Rattlesnake
Pygmy Rattlesnake

NC Snake Pictures

In North Carolina, there are few spiders that can inflect serious and painful injury. The two best-known poisonous spiders found here are the black widow spider and the brown recluse.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-05-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 06:50 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,331,787 times
To make this fair...here is the list of snakes in MI;
Michigan Species

How many are poisonous, I don't know right off hand, but some are. Liz

Old 10-06-2007, 04:11 AM

14 posts, read 32,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I personally know I would step on the feet of a lot of southerners as I'm an outspoken, take me/leave me liberal (a result of being the baby sister to 6 brothers: sink or swim was my mantra growing up! LOL). *1*

So I stay put in NY but my brother moved down to Raleigh (hence my interest in this board) and he's been told by his employer not to talk in some instances as the individual they're dealing with isn't a Yankees fan (he works in construction). And telling my also boisterous brother not to talk is akin to telling him not to inhale!!! Bet he gets all red-faced and bug-eyed poor guy!!!! *2*

As for church going; attendance has dropped like a rock in most organized groups and interest has risen steadily in non-denominational churches which is a reflection of baby boomers doing what we do best: questioning the status quo. And as I've asked my very Christian bible beating sister (who would do well in the South) *3* : do you think that the Buddist is shunned by God because his spirituality does not reflect hers? *4* She has no answer...IMO, you honor God by believing, how you believe should be your choice and no one way is better.....

Anyways, hope your move "home" is successful and good luck!
*1* Southern women are not a bunch of mealy-mouthed wallflowers. We are a rather feisty group in general, I do believe. We do not just sit around and allow the world to pass us by without bucking what we think is wrong. Do we do it tactfully? Most of the time. Could it be that we have learned it is better to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar? Hmm... I think so. Yes! SOooo to say that just because you are outspoken you think that you would stand out in a crowd, I think not. If you were rude and untactful..... Yeah.. Maybe so then. *shrugs*

*2* My ex husband is a contractor. HE is the one who interacts with the people. Not his workers. He would not like it if ANY of his 'people' were chatty with whoever is paying them to do whatever. They'd not need to. For example, we've just bought a house. It was new construction. We interacted with the builder, not the workers. I would have thought it terribly rude had the guy who was putting in my hardwood floors wanted to talk to me. I'd rather he work. Get it done. I'd not like the painter trying to chat. I'd wonder what his motivation was there... Did he want to sell me something? Did he want a date? *shrugs* They didn't need to talk to me. Only the builder~ the CONTRACTOR. He was the man.
If your sibling was in civil construction, what? He was wanting to talk to the cars? The store owners? Why? What did he want to do that for? *eyes narrow* It escapes me. I couldn't even guess. I can see why his bosses told him to keep his trap shut~ they PROBABLY told ALL the workers to do that. Work, don't talk. Work, don't try to catch a date or sell your services to someone! So.. as for him being from the North and that being the REASON they told him that... Nah... Highly unlikely.

*3* You automatically 'ASSUME' that bible beating is a Southern thing? LOL Er... I don't disagree that there are LOTS of religious people here, but to stereotype ALL Southern peeps as 'Bible Beaters'~ *eye brow up* Not so much, nah...

*4* Again on the bible thing... *shrugs* I'm not sure what you have in your head, but... *shrugs* I think you've been watching too many old movies about the South or something... I'm a BIG believer in 'Live and LET live!' or... **ck 'em and feed 'em fish heads!
We could go on for hours about philosophy and the concept of God. I am not a big fan of show downs between those who think that they have the very best invisible friend! I think it's a choice a person has to make on their own.

Soo~ over all~ People should stay where they are comfortable. I mean, why would you want to live in a place you just don't like? (unless you are military!LOL)~ You wouldn't.
There you go. My two cents which isn't worth a plug nickle!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 AM

thank you to those of you that replied with the list of spiders and snakes my main concern was the gators, already been bitten up here by brown recluse and lived. Last year my husband was bitten by unknown spider here and developed MRSA infection spent over 10 days in hospital. In Newton what is the weather like?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 AM

do you still have the four seasons? I am one of the few people you will meet that love winter! please say that you get a few inches a year!! if you do get snow is it like kentucky where they close down the roads?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
do you still have the four seasons? I am one of the few people you will meet that love winter! please say that you get a few inches a year!! if you do get snow is it like kentucky where they close down the roads?
Depends on the region/area of NC. The average annual temperature on the lower coast is nearly as high as that of interior northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York.

Average winter snowfall over the state ranges from about inch per year on the Outer Banks and along the lower coast to about 10 inches in the northern Piedmont and 16 inches in the southern Mountains. Some of the higher mountain peaks and upper slopes receive an average of nearly 50 inches a year.

National Climatic Data Center

Last edited by mm34b; 10-08-2007 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
In Newton what is the weather like?
Not Newton, but close enough to give you a rough idea as what you can expect.

HICKORY FAA AIRPORT, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina