U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,728,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irma63 View Post
We just came back from visiting NC and we are very, very impressed. Loved everything. The only question I have why there are so many churches? Sometimes standing next to each other and different denominations, small buildings and sometimes trailers? Are NC people that religious? Nothing is wrong with that but I wonder how not church going folks would be accepted? Any thoughts?
I am agnostic and my parents are of a religion other than Christian. I haven't been to a church for services since I was 10 years old. To answer your question. Don't obsess. Someone might ask you where you go to church, but it has no bad intention or judgmental intention intended. It is just the way it is in N.C. The people are attempting to be hospitable. This may not even happen in Charlotte. Nevertheless, don't worry about the churches. I have been to New England towns that have just as many. Doesn't hurt people there. Even though I am not a religious person, I am glad others are. It keeps some morality in society. Nobody ever bothers me. You will be fine. The difference in the number of churches in the south and north is that the north has more catholic cathedrals that hold more members. Southerners will put a cross on the top of an outhouse if neccessary and call it a church, thus the number of small churches is apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,036,805 times
I don't think North Carolina as a whole is overrated, but for me the triangle area is way overrated. (I specified "for me" as people love it). I grew up in NJ but moved here from FL, so I'm a "halfback."

What I like:
--Amazing restaurants
--Very intelligent populations and access to world class universities
--Seemingly affordable housing (I rent though)
--Can go to mountains or beach
--I'm starting to understand the south and I love the hardcore NC accents.
--eastern carolina barbecue sauce (I went vegetarian so not sure how to eat that now)

What I don't like:
--resentment toward northerners (I've experienced that more on this board than in real life)
--that beach is THREE HOURS away. It's all perspective. For some this is great, but in Florida I lived 15 minutes from one of the greatest beaches in the country.
--suburban sprawl, worship of planned, HOA-controlled communities. Ugh. (sorry, just my opinion here)
--that mountain is 3 hours away too?
--though tech and healthcare are big here, medical writer jobs are scarce (for now)
--Summer is hotter here than where I lived in FL (because I was right near the bay and got the breeze)
--I am not sure there are any normal single men over 40 left here (heh heh)
--If I stay where I am (a very transient part of Durham where nobody talks to neighbors) I'll be bored. If I move to a smaller town I'll be seen as another one of those transplants taking over.
--Also don't like the bizarre attitudes about Durham and safety. Not one bit. Taints the entire area for me.

Much of my impression of this area has been formed by what I've read on these forums, which is unfortunate on several levels.

Last edited by scorp200; 03-09-2008 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 AM

3,021 posts, read 10,100,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Much of my impression of this area has been formed by what I've read on these forums, which is unfortunate on several levels.
Sadly, I know what you mean, Scorp. Sometimes this forum does more harm than good. I've come across people who post misleading or downright false information. It can be very discouraging. Luckily, there are also some people who do their best to make up for the others.

Threads like this one fascinate me because I moved here from an area where NC wasn't getting any hype at all. For me, NC was a pleasant surprise because I didn't come here with a lot of preconceived ideas & overwhelming expectations.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Talking I'm moving =)

I'm moving to North Carolina in September. I have no family, no friends, and no job there. I currently live in Arizona and for years now I have felt this insatiable urge to move to North Carolina. ...I haven't even been there (yet )

I'm visiting Raleigh, Cary, Fayetteville, and Southern Pines in the hopes of finding the city that sings to me. I've hoped and now I'm praying that it's nicer than it's been portrayed here.

I leave Monday to take a looksie. I'm sure it'll be great!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,491,059 times
We moved here a little over a year ago......it's perfect for us. Overrated? Not at all in my opinion---but that is "my" opinion. Just as any other state people find their own paradise. It is hot in the summer but the spring, winter and falls are wonderful. I have to believe it is sincerely each persons personal likes and dislikes wherever they move. The people here in NC are great and welcoming. The land is beautiful. It is growing fast and with many planned communities but even though I don't want to see to much of that it provides jobs. It's all growing pains. There is still plenty of empty land and beautiful forest everywhere. I feel like I have moved from another world since coming here from CA. It's been amazing for us. Every person I have talked to who have moved here from other states have no regrets. I can't tell anyone it will be perfect for them but it is for us!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-01-2008 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 13,053 times
YES, it is overrated! NC sucks! I've lived here my whole life, and it's horrible! We don't need any more people! The only people that should be forced to endure this terrible spot of dirt are the cursed NC natives like myself! I think everyone else should just go back to where they're from before it's too late!

Eh? If you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. I love it here. Why is everyone so thrilled about the ocean being three hours away? Unless you surf, what do you get out of it? There are lakes here that you can gaze at, the seafood is just as fresh if you go to the right restaurant, and Carowinds supplies all the overpriced commercial enjoyment you need. I understand that the ocean has appeal, but I would never put that as one of the top 5 reasons to live in Charlotte. That's just me.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 13,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakhai View Post
I'm moving to North Carolina in September. I have no family, no friends, and no job there. I currently live in Arizona and for years now I have felt this insatiable urge to move to North Carolina. ...I haven't even been there (yet )

I'm visiting Raleigh, Cary, Fayetteville, and Southern Pines in the hopes of finding the city that sings to me. I've hoped and now I'm praying that it's nicer than it's been portrayed here.

I leave Monday to take a looksie. I'm sure it'll be great!
Well Fayetteville will only sing to you if you say things like "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"... I lived there for two years, and with Ft. Bragg being in town, it's called Fayettenam by North Carolinians. Your windows will rattle all the time from the blasts from the artillery range. I like it though. It's the hottest place in NC, because it's all sand and blacktop, by the way. I have no knowledge of Raleigh or Cary, except they are growing fast.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
Am moving to the Fayetteville area and have no idea what to expect. Any insight as to what should be avoided?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,333,660 times
The entire town.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:19 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,310,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The entire town.

Basically, but seriously Morganton rd is the only well kept and desirable area in Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or