U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:19 AM

535 posts, read 1,128,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My goodness people, get a grip LOL!!! NC is just as country now as it was 20 years ago with the exception of the piedmont. Do you all remember the quote "The south shall rise again"? Well, it is happening in NC's piedmont region.
20 years ago Asheville, Hatteras and Wilmington looked a lot different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 13,380 times
i have lived in nc for over 8 years, and moved from michigan. i am now considering moving to houston, tx. i am finding to cost of living here to be much above what i'm actually getting paid. i think nc is a beautiful state, but not as beautiful as it was 8 years ago. i live in the raleigh area and the population growth has been astronomical but this area is not prepared for it. the taxes are too high and the cost of housing is too high. the money coming into the state is not being used to handle the growth/development that is occuring, i.e. schools, roads, etc. i find the people to be generally friendly, but there are alot of people who have had to transfer here out of job neccesity, who may not necessarily want to be here and are unhappy individuals. regardless, nc will always have a place in my heart wherever i go.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 AM

4,897 posts, read 5,574,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadnslug View Post
i have lived in nc for over 8 years, and moved from michigan. i am now considering moving to houston, tx. i am finding to cost of living here to be much above what i'm actually getting paid. i think nc is a beautiful state, but not as beautiful as it was 8 years ago. i live in the raleigh area and the population growth has been astronomical but this area is not prepared for it. the taxes are too high and the cost of housing is too high. the money coming into the state is not being used to handle the growth/development that is occuring, i.e. schools, roads, etc. i find the people to be generally friendly, but there are alot of people who have had to transfer here out of job neccesity, who may not necessarily want to be here and are unhappy individuals. regardless, nc will always have a place in my heart wherever i go.
You said it!!! Infrastructure (or lack there of) will bring NC's growth to a grinding halt. This state spends way too much money on non-growing regions of the state while the only real growing regions (Charlotte and the Triangle) get short changed. This has got to stop or NC will become a poor state again.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,628,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
20 years ago Asheville, Hatteras and Wilmington looked a lot different.
Yep. er 20 years ago most any place looks different, hello. The diff in OBX is night and day for most areas (esp N Shores). shame.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,128,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Yep. er 20 years ago most any place looks different, hello. The diff in OBX is night and day for most areas (esp N Shores). shame.
The whole area seemed to change overnight, esp the northern end. We used to surf up there, went down once and got hassled by the cops and ticketed for parking on the side of the road (no signs anywhere). Now it's condos and outlet malls. It's exactly like the place people wanted to escape from. Scary.

Out here in WNC the changes are really visible but not as much. A lot more ridge top development though.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM

414 posts, read 873,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You said it!!! Infrastructure (or lack there of) will bring NC's growth to a grinding halt. This state spends way too much money on non-growing regions of the state while the only real growing regions (Charlotte and the Triangle) get short changed. This has got to stop or NC will become a poor state again.
I know you were trying to be PC so certain people on this forum wouldn't get defensive - I'm sure you meant to say Charlotte gets short changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina